PDA

View Full Version : K/N Air Filter Question

4Hundy2001
12-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Hey Guys,

I have a K/N air filter on my 400ex. When you put the air filter on you have to take the lid off the air box to get enough air into the K/N. My problem is that it just snowed in Nebraska and I went riding today and everytime I busted through a drift my air box would get full of snow. With snow packed in the air box I couldn't get enough air into the air filter.

I tried putting the air box lid back on, but then I couldn't get enough air in that way either.

Anyone have any ideas on how to keep snow out of my air box with the lid off.

RED121572
12-10-2003, 06:33 PM
I fully understand your question, but I cant understand why you cant get enough air with the lid on? Is your quad mod'ed?

4Hundy2001
12-10-2003, 06:47 PM
I have enough mods that when I put the lid on it runs real rough it cuts out because Its not getting enough air.

Cleaning the filter would probably help.

Its just not getting enough air. I was wondering if there is anything I could do to block some of the snow from entering the air box. Maybe putting some sort of screen over it or something. I don't know.

RED121572
12-10-2003, 06:55 PM
Ahhhh...Im with ya now. I dont know anything off hand, that would keep the snow out. Ill kick it around for a few and let you know if I come up with an idea.

kenny
12-10-2003, 07:10 PM
use your cover drill some holes in it away from filter area get or make some type of frame and cover hole with a piece of outerwear or similar material . screw frame over outer wear to hold in place.there is a guy on e bay that sells nice ones already modified for you.hope this helps.at times you may want to wipe snow off the top of the cover.

RED121572
12-10-2003, 07:23 PM
I agree with Kenny. The outerwears is prob your best bet. The only FULL proof way of keeping snow out of the airbox that I can think of is to use your lid and knock the jetting down a tad.

Good luck with your project!

RED

4Hundy2001
12-10-2003, 08:56 PM
there is a guy on E-bay that sells outer wears that cover the whole Air Box????

I have an Outerwear on my air filter already, but they make them for the whole air box. How much are they selling for?

If he is currently selling one post a link to the item.

Thanks,
4Hundy2001

cals400ex
12-10-2003, 10:41 PM
i imagine you get more than enough air unless your motor is built with the lid on. i run with my lid on and i have a 11:1 compression 406, stage 2 hotcam, filter, full pipe, jets, etc. if you have fewer mods than this and it doesn't run right with the lid on, your jetted wrong. i noticed a little better throttle response with the lid off and jetted properly with my motor. however, in a drag race, there was little if any power differences. it always felt like it was faster because of the louder sucking noise and the extra vibration on the seat, but actually i wan't going any faster. it just seemed to help with a very little amount of throttle response down low. up top, i had no gains with the removed lid even after jetting several times.

300exOH
12-11-2003, 07:43 AM
I'd go with the Outerwares air box cover. I have one and it works well.

Try here:http://www.magicracing.com/myProducts.cfm?CFID=891941&CFTOKEN=32569095&CategoryID=142

wilkin250r
12-11-2003, 11:19 AM
It's not that your quad "isn't getting enough air" With your lid off, it's easier to pull air in, so it does. You flow more air with the lid off, and you jetted your quad based on that. And there's nothing wrong with that, until you run into a situation like this.

Now, when you put your lid on, you don't get as much airflow, but your still getting the same amount of fuel. Basically, your jetting is too rich wit h your lid on.

So, to correct the problem, you have to choose between a few different options. Your best long-term solution would be the outerwear box lid. Another solution would be to put your lid on, and re-jet accordingly. If you want a short-term solution, you can cut holes in your lid, and cover them with something that will flow well, but still keep snow out. A cut-up outerwear filter would work, or a green Scotch-brite pad (just the scrubber, not the sponge) or something similar to that.

4Hundy2001
12-11-2003, 05:12 PM
I have an outerwear on my actual filter, but I didn't know they even made outerwears for the whole box. I think this will fix my problem.

Thanks everyone..............:)