PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone done this........?

400extracc
12-10-2003, 03:21 PM
i was think'n of extending my stock steering stem by 1 in. and reenforcing the upper part where the bars mount.

has anyone tryed or done this before. if so, can you tell me how you did it?

thx

:macho

turnandburn
12-10-2003, 03:32 PM
yes i rebuilt my stock stem using 4130 chrome alloy tubing. First use a die grinder with a disc and cut the bottom of the stem where it mets the part that the tie rods mount to and cut around that just deep enough to cut the pipe. then grind the welds of the top of the stem the same way. now find some chrome alloy that is the same lenght and the bottom fits snug around the base tie rod mount part and the top of the stem fits around and weld it back. double check alignment before you weld it dont getin a hurry on this step. hope this helps

400extracc
12-10-2003, 03:42 PM
yes, it does, if you have pics that would be cool??

thx

turnandburn
12-10-2003, 03:45 PM
i can email you some of it finished. what is your email?

motoboy66
12-10-2003, 11:38 PM
I never thought of doing this too my bent one. This sounds like a great idea for those of us who have the materials, but not the money for a new one. Now a new idea. Has anyone ever tried to make thier own anti vib stem? I have kicked this idea around a little as i have a bent stem not doing anything. The only thing that I am unsure of is how too make the bushings.

Todd

turnandburn
12-11-2003, 02:23 PM
how about buying a set of sway bar links and using those bushings!