PDA

View Full Version : Preload v.s. No Preload

Cole Trane
12-10-2003, 02:27 PM
I am looking to get elka triple rate, standard travel, no preload, comp adjust shocks pretty soon. I know what no preload is, but I'm not sure what it means. I do mostly dune riding and some doubles where I can find them. I just want to know what the best type of shock to get for the type of riding I do. Thanks in advance for ya'lls help.

thomez
12-12-2003, 08:33 AM
Having the zero preload elkas will lower your quad some - as long as you don't need that ground clearance you will be fine. Note that a zero-preload rear is recommended if you do the front though, or your quad will sit lower in the front than the rear, shifting weight etc, and it will probably handle funny. I'd recommend the shocks and a rear rebuild to zps... check with Jeff@TheQuadShop for help on that.

wilkin250r
12-12-2003, 02:35 PM
You can try a search on preload, you'll get enough info to keep you busy for a few days.

The concept is difficult to explain unless you are familiar with the basic theory of shocks and damping.

Your springs absorb forces based on how FAR they compress them. The farther they compress, the harder they push back. You can see how this helps when going off a big jump.

Your shocks are also filled with oil, and as you compress the shock, it pushes that oil through a stack of washers. This also causes resistance, but the amount of resistance is based on how FAST you compress the shock, not how FAR.

In a nutshell, zero preload will lower your quad. This has the distinct advantage of lowering your center of gravity, which will allow you to take a corner faster without tipping over. Lowering your quad will really add to the stability of your quad.

Your first thought is probably that this will reduce your shock travel and the ability to soak up bumps and jumps. This is not the case. They have a very soft 1st spring that just compresses all the way as soon as you put any weight on them. However, you're not truly losing that travel, because as soon as you jump, and take all the weight off the wheels, that soft spring will extend the shocks all the way. That way, as soon as you land, you get the full benifit of the damping caused by the oil in your shocks (remember, the damping is based on how FAST you compress the shock, not how FAR) So this gives a good initial resistance as soon as you hit the ground, and then the shock springs take care of the rest to keep you from bottoming out your suspension.

You do NOT lose ground clearance by using a zero preload setup. If you are going to hit a rock, your not going to hit the bottom of your frame, you are going to hit your swingarm skid plate, because this is the lowest point on your quad. The height of the skid plate is set by your tire size, not your shocks. Lowering your shocks does not reduce your ground clearance.

thomez
12-12-2003, 02:49 PM
Oooops... I typed that didn't I? LOL ... I wasn't thinking, but I know better. Thanks for the thorough explanation. Any chance you want to help compile more info for a bunch of people? Here is a link -

http://forums.atvconnection.com/messageview.cfm/catid/18/threadid/371954.cfm

:D

oldsandman
12-12-2003, 03:38 PM
Try this for info It's some of the best I've found: http://www.customaxisshocks.com/Custom%20Axis.pdf (http://)

thomez
12-12-2003, 04:04 PM
I can't get the link to work :confused:

JOEX
12-12-2003, 09:02 PM
The link that oldsandman posted, fixed:) .....
http://www.customaxisshocks.com/Custom%20Axis.pdf

thomez
12-12-2003, 09:33 PM
Thanks both for the link, oldsandman, and for fixing it Joe!

Looks like some awesome info! :D

AndrewRRR
12-12-2003, 09:57 PM
I do the same type of riding as you mostly and I had some triple rate works that the Quadshop converted to Elka SSD (converted the works fronts and the stock rear). I'm very happy with them so far, no preload rocks! The only time it sucks is when you go to lift your quad into your truck/trailer and the wheels move another 4" down when you pick it up, lol!
For suspension, I can't think of a better way to spend...I think it was $500 for all 3 shocks (including a re-spring and re-valve on all of them).

JOEX
12-12-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by AndrewRRR
....For suspension, I can't think of a better way to spend...I think it was $500 for all 3 shocks (including a re-spring and re-valve on all of them).
That was for the 'rebuild' of all three shocks, correct?

Joe

thomez
12-12-2003, 10:31 PM
Yup that is about what it costs. Around 200 for the fronts and a lil over 300 for the rear I believe. I had my rear Ohlin done at the Quadshop recently.

AndrewRRR
12-13-2003, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
That was for the 'rebuild' of all three shocks, correct?

Joe

Yeah that was for what the Quadshop did. I think I paid $350 for the works on ebay (triple rate with rezzy, used) and the stock rear of course came with my R.

Cole Trane
12-15-2003, 08:09 AM
Appreciate the replies everyone, I haven't been online in a couple of days. I'll check out those links. Thanks again:)