PDA

View Full Version : Pro level racing lifestyle for quads & cycles

atvrulz
12-10-2003, 10:01 AM
Is the level of competition for pro mx/supercross cycles and pro gnc/gncc quads so high, that like the top five riders only train and race for a living?
Are the top five pro mx/supercross cycle riders millionares after you take into consideration their endorsments? And pro gnc/gncc quad riders make enough only to have a comfortable living?
Just curious. thanks

Nausty
12-10-2003, 10:16 AM
no way, the top 5 or so would pry train A LOT and I bet they make just enough to live a normal lifestyle. I was at a pros house over the summer and hes got a lot of nice quads and tools. But it doesn't seem like they get out of it what they put into it. He is also pry in the top 5 riders or so.

Cole Trane
12-10-2003, 11:08 AM
I've always heard that the pros don't get paid very much all. I guess you just do it cause you love it. Like you said though, they got some kick***** toys!!

roostin_dale
12-14-2003, 06:07 PM
I dont think quad racers even make a enough for a good living...most have to have a job on the side. That is all about to change though....with the factory sponsorships.

;)

bansheerider_13
12-14-2003, 06:13 PM
quad riders no matter how good need a second job to make a living this i am positive of

Nausty
12-14-2003, 07:08 PM
umm isn't tim farr a full time pro?

AtvMxRider
12-14-2003, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by Nausty
umm isn't tim farr a full time pro?

Yes and from what I've heard he makes a pretty good living at it.

Dave400ex
12-14-2003, 07:22 PM
Tim Farr and Jones both get quite a bit of money from their sponsors. Farr wants a lot of money from you to run your parts, but he's set now with Honda.

12-14-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by atvrulz
Is the level of competition for pro mx/supercross cycles and pro gnc/gncc quads so high, that like the top five riders only train and race for a living?
Are the top five pro mx/supercross cycle riders millionares after you take into consideration their endorsments? And pro gnc/gncc quad riders make enough only to have a comfortable living?
Just curious. thanks

like the top 15 national riders for bikes have no worries prob the top 20 125 and 250 riders dont have to worry actually, and the other ones do so so, quads most guys have to work

12-14-2003, 08:50 PM
i also heard time farr didnt get chit compared to what there 2wheeled riders get,everyone else buys there own ****

RiPPiNiTuP7
12-14-2003, 11:48 PM
i think with all this factory sponsership going on its making life much smoother for pro riders that do it for a living :macho

12-15-2003, 06:45 AM
Pro Quad racers get nothing compared to Pro bike guys. There is no comparison between the 2. Tim Farr is probably the ONLY pro quad Rider that makes more than $100,000 a year as a sponsored Rider, and that's just this year because of Honda. Jones along with Bill Ballanc work in the off season, and I don't mean ride a quad work I mean hittin the punch clock and doin work like the rest of us..:( They deserve a lot more.

muff
12-15-2003, 06:55 AM
I'm with rico.. it will take a long time for the pro level of the quad riders to get the recognition the bikers are...hopefully the factories will help with this process

hondafox440
12-15-2003, 07:07 AM
It's because quads aren't on national TV. Why would a company throw millions of dollars to sponsor someone when they won't even be seen on national TV? If they are just going to be seen at a track, then it doesn't make sense to pay them that much. Sponsorship is a business and it is run like one. The more exposure someone is going to give you, the more you pay them. If quads ever get on national TV (ESPN/2, ABC.. Not OLN) I bet you will start to see sponsors paying more money.

seatec
12-15-2003, 07:23 AM
Well, we have coverage of the GNCC on national TV now. (speed vision) that should move the ATV world up and into a whole new ball game.

hondafox440
12-15-2003, 07:52 AM
Not everyone gets Speed Channel. It isn't offered everywhere. Everyone with cable/satelite gets ABC and ESPN though.

FourFiftyFour
12-15-2003, 10:06 AM
Originally posted by Rico
Pro Quad racers get nothing compared to Pro bike guys. There is no comparison between the 2. Tim Farr is probably the ONLY pro quad Rider that makes more than $100,000 a year as a sponsored Rider, and that's just this year because of Honda. Jones along with Bill Ballanc work in the off season, and I don't mean ride a quad work I mean hittin the punch clock and doin work like the rest of us..:( They deserve a lot more.

yup i used to talk to someone who lived in bowling green and they said bill was always workin on his farm and JJ didnt make a whole lot of money... both of them work very hard and still race

12-15-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by CDaleChick
yup i used to talk to someone who lived in bowling green and they said bill was always workin on his farm and JJ didnt make a whole lot of money... both of them work very hard and still race

Yuup.. Bills family owns a Dairy farm and JJ's family owns a concrete business..

Hammer trx450r
12-15-2003, 10:41 AM
doug gust owns digger doug excavating

NTPRacing#19
12-15-2003, 11:00 AM
if you think about it , if a quad rider had the time like the pro bike riders to train and the pro quad riders already with having to work a side job and then travel to the nationals and still put in lap times that compete or condend with most top pro bike racers. just imagine how fast they would be if they had the training time the bikes do!!! i think the pro quad scene would be absolutly crazy. we just havent been givin the chance.

quad riders are the most hard working racers that i know of. every other form of racing has televised events on espn and big sponsorships.

cdalejef
12-15-2003, 11:21 AM
I know of only 1 GNCC pro that doesn't have a real job and does quads full time.

cgmxer115
12-15-2003, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by hondafox440
It's because quads aren't on national TV. Why would a company throw millions of dollars to sponsor someone when they won't even be seen on national TV? If they are just going to be seen at a track, then it doesn't make sense to pay them that much. Sponsorship is a business and it is run like one. The more exposure someone is going to give you, the more you pay them. If quads ever get on national TV (ESPN/2, ABC.. Not OLN) I bet you will start to see sponsors paying more money.

I think there is a pretty good chance we will see a lot of this years GNC racing on TV. Think about it... Honda doesnt have to impress the racers at the track, we all ready know Farr is a great rider and we know the 450 will be a great quad. They spent 75K on Tim with a 100K bonus if he wins the championship, I would guess they want the guy at home on the couch to see whats going on.Maybe he'll take an interest in it and go buy one. A big reason why supercross is on TV is because the factories pay for it.

12-15-2003, 04:22 PM
anyone notice sno cross isnt on espn 2 any more , its on outdoor life network

i think honda and tava and other factories will push to get quads at same level of exposure as bikes, will take awhile