PDA

View Full Version : where do I have 400 frame gussetted and welded to keep from breaking up

david kelsch
12-10-2003, 08:54 AM
My frame is cracked above the weld where shocks mount. I would like advise on where and how to strengthen not only this area but any other likely spots. I have a local shop to do the work, we would just like to hear what others know. Thanks for your time.

12-10-2003, 12:07 PM
There ya go dawg.....

david kelsch
12-10-2003, 12:18 PM
Thanks Rico for the fast response and the great photo. That photo with the highlights make it very clear. Keep up the great work.

mcmike
12-10-2003, 07:58 PM
Also, keep an eye on the motor bracket on the top of the frame, where the bolt goes through the valve cover. This isn't a major support, but it still cracks.

12-10-2003, 08:33 PM
Originally posted by david kelsch
Thanks Rico for the fast response and the great photo. That photo with the highlights make it very clear. Keep up the great work.

No problem man.

But let me say that the large bracket that's been welded in at the steering stem mount. Needs a hole at least 1.5 inches in the middle to properly run the throttle cable..;) If not you'll put it in a bind and possible cause the throttle to act funny and you'll also wear a hole in the cable..

There's also a thread in the FAQ forum with pics, labeled gusseting 101 I believe...:D

Ralph
12-10-2003, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by Rico
No problem man.

But let me say that the large bracket that's been welded in at the steering stem mount. Needs a hole at least 1.5 inches in the middle to properly run the throttle cable..;) If not you'll put it in a bind and possible cause the throttle to act funny and you'll also wear a hole in the cable..

There's also a thread in the FAQ forum with pics, labeled gusseting 101 I believe...:D

i put like 3 1 inch holes in mine, i havent put it bck together yet but do u have to trim the gas tank heatshield thing? also the gussets by the bumper werent in the faq and i didnt put them in, how important are they?

12-10-2003, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by Ralph
i put like 3 1 inch holes in mine, i havent put it bck together yet but do u have to trim the gas tank heatshield thing? also the gussets by the bumper werent in the faq and i didnt put them in, how important are they?

Yes you gotta trim the white plastic under the tank to fit properly.

The gussets on the front by the bumper aren't that important. There's a few that I dont' have highlighted in the pic, but you'll be OK. With all them gussets I still managed to tweak my front end pretty good in a XC race my first trip out on the frame..:mad:

I hate tree's....:grr: :mad: :grr:

Ralph
12-11-2003, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Yes you gotta trim the white plastic under the tank to fit properly.

The gussets on the front by the bumper aren't that important. There's a few that I dont' have highlighted in the pic, but you'll be OK. With all them gussets I still managed to tweak my front end pretty good in a XC race my first trip out on the frame..:mad:

I hate tree's....:grr: :mad: :grr:

thats why u have to take urself back to the mx tracka nd let jeff do the tree riding...

400exBro
12-11-2003, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by mcmike
Also, keep an eye on the motor bracket on the top of the frame, where the bolt goes through the valve cover. This isn't a major support, but it still cracks.

ya the head stay mount, it has cracked on mine also i need to renforce it this winter...