PDA

View Full Version : mr. floppy

xrracer36
12-10-2003, 07:48 AM
hello all!

i have a question:
has anyone made rear fender supports for their 400ex? (not the stockers that are in by the frame, but i mean ones that go out to the big part of the fender to support it and keep it from flopping around? (they would require you to drill a hole in the plastic to install any type of mounting system to them, i would assume)
??? :huh
-in case you don't understand, what i mean can be seen on a kawasaki mojave or lakota. there are bolts in the centers of the large parts of the rear fenders, which come up through from a fender support.

just wondering. my fenders flop quite a bit when too much mud is underneath them, and i plan on harescrambling it next season, so stopping to scrape the mud out from under the fenders every lap is not an option.

thanks
racer36:D

Pappy
12-10-2003, 07:57 AM
you can fabricate your own fairly easily.

also ...spray down the undersides of the fenders with wd-40 or amorall before the race. it will allow the mud to fall off instead of clinging to the fenders

xrracer36
12-10-2003, 08:18 AM
yeah, i know we can make our own easily enough.
i was just wondering if anyone has done it and has any advice (materials, mounting points, hardwear, precautions, etc...)?

i didn't have the inner mounting bracket thing (that goes directly under the fenders and goes up into the underside of them to either side of the seat, right behind where your leg would go, if that makes sense?) so we made them outa flat aluminum bought at lowes. not sure if they are as sturdy as the stockers though. still haven't had much comparisons.

pics would help too.

but thanks for replying pappy. :D
i've used cooking spray (cheap generic PAM) under the fenders of my bike when i harescrambled it before i got the 4-wheeler to keep mud from sticking. not sure it did a whole lot except smell (first good, like you were baking something, then bad, like you were baking something and burnt it) when a little bit got on the header while spraying the underside of the front fender.

ReconRider25
12-10-2003, 04:19 PM
you dont have to put a hole in them and put a bolt though, you can just make the bracket, have it bend straight up, and put a rubber "bumper/grommet" on it. take a look at the wolverines, thats what they do.

toby400ex
12-10-2003, 04:26 PM
Those fender supports on the mojaves suck, cuz if u flip it the supports go straight through the fenders. All 400ex fenders do that and it doesnt affect anything really.