PDA

View Full Version : 440ex Need Advive

sodbrother
12-10-2003, 01:06 AM
OK I finally got my 440 all together, Weisco 440, Hotcams Stage 2, LRD Full Exhaust, Larger Valves, Head is Flowed to the walls, intake boot was opened up and matched to the head, Dyna Ignition, FCR41, Lightened flywheel, degreed......

I gave this engine to a buddy who did all this work. I saw the valves, head work, intake boot... The degree and flywheel I didnt see but it is said to have been done.

we had a little trouble getting it dialed in because this is the first 4wheeler he has done, and all of this work and aftermarket parts were done at the same time. The main problem was getting the carb fat enough.

We got the bike running pretty good on dirt. It has tons of torque, good power through all gears, much faster than stock. I took her out to the dunes this weekend and was not impressed. The bike felt heavy, it seemed to want to bury itself in the sand. I have a banshee also and in comparison the banshee felt light and leaped out of the hole. Off the line (1st and 2nd gear) I was getting whooped on the 440.

This is the first time I have ever been dune riding so I was not sure what to expect. The Banshee really rocked on the sand but the 440 acted like it was fighting the sand until 3rd gear.

What I started questioning was the gearing ? (still stock). Fuel ?, tire size ? ( the trekker 20X12-9 rear, Holeshots on the front). Dyna is set to stock.

My buddy said I need to run straight race fuel, I was thinking of mixing it 50:50 with 92. Paddles where borrowed. I know I need something different on the front but that shouldnt have made a huge difference right ?

Sorry for the long post hopefully you guys can help me out here.

Thanks,
Sodbrother

12-10-2003, 08:16 AM
ive never road on the sand without paddles...and my 416 does not have that problem at all...and your porting sounds a little extreme by the way you discribed it...you most likely should be running race gas with all of your mods...also depends on what your compression is...but at the sand i almost always do...the sand seems to take a little power away...if u had holeshots on the front that wouldnt hurt u...once i get my razr 2 fronts im cuttin off all the treads on my stock fronts sept the middle for some nice sand tires...as i said before...your porting sounds a little large...and with that huge carb it may be taking a little low end from you...it sounds a little odd how it will run perfectly on dirt but not on sand...you may want to try going to a little more low end setup on your sprokets and see how it does...but im running the stock and my bike is fine down there...so this is really a confusing thing...all i can say is try race gas first...and if that doesnt work change your sprokets up a little bit...and if that doesnt work....something may be wrong

sodbrother
12-10-2003, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the info Honda_Racer

I have been using straight race gas since the engine has been done. The porting on the head is very extreme. I dont know much about flowing heads but my buddy really talked it up. I figure my problem is probably in the gearing and maybe the size of the tires ??? Anyone with a similar setup that might be able to give me some tips ?

Thanks,
Sodbrother

RED121572
12-10-2003, 05:52 PM
When your head was ported, was a flow bench used?

sodbrother
12-10-2003, 06:29 PM
Here are a few pics of the head work and Valve job

http://www.abettertan.com/MVC-623S.JPG
http://www.abettertan.com/MVC-624S.JPG
http://www.abettertan.com/MVC-626S.JPG
http://www.abettertan.com/MVC-643S.JPG

Head was flowed on a flow bench

duneittilludie
12-10-2003, 07:45 PM
Unless you are running a compression ratio of 12.5;1 or 13:1 you will probably lose quite a bit of performance if you run straight "race fuel".On my wifes 440 with a compression of 11:1 we found through experimenting that we got the best performance with just mixing 1 gallon of 110 octane fuel with 4 gallons of 92 pump gas.With all the work you had done to your motor you should be able to give those banshees a good run in a drag race so it sounds like you still have some tweaking to do with your gearing tires and your main jet sizes.What elevation are you at and what main jet sizes are you running?Since you mentioned that this was your first time to ride in the dunes i can tell you that you will really have to let the rpms build up when you are drag racing to get a good start on your 440 but if you do you should be able to jump off the line pretty fast.The sand really robs your power so bogging down your motor with too high of a gearing set up or running too many paddles will also be something to take a look at. As i said before you should try using less high octane fuel and run more premium pump gas(92 OR 93) you may be surprised at the difference.

cals400ex
12-10-2003, 11:02 PM
you might lose a little down low with the porting, 41mm carb, and a piston that is low compression. what compression piston is it?? what size jets you using??

12-11-2003, 03:58 PM
he has a 12:1 piston in it...dunno the jet sizes