PDA

View Full Version : PS2 question...

hondarider2006
12-09-2003, 07:41 PM
a while ago my ps2 quit reading disks, and saying "disk read error," sometimes it will say reading disk, even if I leave it on for hours. What can I do to fix this? I tore it apart, and lightly went over it with the air nozzel from the air compressor. What else can I do? Thanks in advance -Nick-

12-09-2003, 07:47 PM
sell it on ebay & get an xbox....thats what I did & coudnt be happier...you will never fix that problem all the way w/ the PS2..they all do it & sony denies it & wont fix it.

Glow Plug
12-09-2003, 07:47 PM
did you ever think about cleaning your disks?

MOFO
12-09-2003, 07:51 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
..they all do it

wrong.

I have one of the first PS2's that came out... never had a single problem with it. Many of my friends have had a PS2 for years and years.... NEVER had a problem. I think most problems are due to people using them in bad conditions (ie dust from older homes, heat - no ventilation ....etc), these conditions will kill any electronic item over time.

Taco
12-09-2003, 07:53 PM
I think they are just POS's:D

blondie69
12-09-2003, 07:54 PM
Did u buy it directly from The Sony Store? We did w/ ours...and we bought a 2 yr warrenty for it too...covers ANYTHING and you will get a brand new one. They told us in there that there have been cases where people have tested this "anything" theory out..and they literally destroyed the PS2, they shot them w/ guns, paintball guns, hit them w/ baseball bats, etc...just to be able to bring it back to the store and get a brand new one. (I wanted to test this out...but mom wouldn't let me:huh )

But I'm takin it u didn't buy it from The Sony Store? Cuz if u did, u could have gotten it fixed or a brand new one. (thats if u would have bought the extended warrenty as well)

Sry I wasn't much help tho...but just call up Sony, and see if there's anything that they can do for you

hondarider2006
12-09-2003, 07:59 PM
all of my disks are brand new, and I opened it up, and there was barley even any dust. I have never dropped it, and I didn't bring it all over the place, like to friends houses or anything, it stayed in my room, thats it.....maybe a torch will do the trick:p

12-09-2003, 08:04 PM
a baseball bat will do batter i think..maybe you can do a burnout on it with your 400ex ;) :D :D

SGA
12-09-2003, 08:08 PM
I agree with Mofo on this. My ps2 has given no problems at all.
Also, im trying to help here rather than just cutting down the PS2 like other immature people here.
--------------------------------------------------------------
Found this for you on the web.
You may have a laser out of alighnment, $50- 75 to repair. If its a bad laser. About 175 to repair I hear. Good luck.

Try this first before taking in for service.
Try a "Lens cleaning CD/ DVD." These CDs/ DVDs are made
for all disc-based electronic equipment. On the bottom side of these discs
(the side that is usually read by laser lenses) is a small cleaning brush.
The cleaning brush is made of very light string. As the disc spins, the
cleaning brush wipes the laser lens clean, freeing it of any dirt or dust
that may have accumulated on it. If your PS2 is suffering from a Disc Read
Error because of excess dust, this should fix it. Sony claims that these
Lens Cleaning Discs can scratch the PS2's laser, but sources suggest this is
not the case - nevertheless this is at your own risk.

Bubba
12-09-2003, 08:33 PM
this dude gave me his ps2 because his did the same thing, so i took it apart and blew it out lighty with the air compressor, then i took a q-tip with a little bit of rubbing alcohol and i lightly cleaned the lense of, then i put it back together and fired it up..worked ever since...

hondarider2006
12-09-2003, 08:34 PM
I'll try that, thanks for the help;)

Sportrax10
12-09-2003, 08:35 PM
Happened to my PS2 and I used a cleaning disk to clean the inside of it.;) Works great now!

ewalker302
12-10-2003, 04:17 AM
Mine has done the same thing twice, Just take it apart, & clean the lens.

:bandit:

12-10-2003, 07:38 AM
sell the POS and get a PS3 next year when they come out. i hear that they are gonna go for around $500:eek2: . im gonna buy a warranty and trash mine. any1 have a problem with the dvd player? mine keeps going from the blue screen to the movie over and over again

12-10-2003, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by Bubba
this dude gave me his ps2 because his did the same thing, so i took it apart and blew it out lighty with the air compressor, then i took a q-tip with a little bit of rubbing alcohol and i lightly cleaned the lense of, then i put it back together and fired it up..worked ever since... i wouldnt tell him, he might want it back lol

JForestZ34
12-10-2003, 07:47 AM
When you say your going from the blue screen to the movie and back and forth, are you playing it through a VCR if you are they incoded the dvd with somekind of code that when you play it through the VCR it does that so you can't copy the movie. Hope this helps.

James

SadisticShee
12-10-2003, 12:37 PM
Mine did the same thing i just junked it and bought a new one and this new one is still running strong

atvrider12764
12-10-2003, 12:53 PM
some early ps2 have disc errors you need to call up sony and send it back and they will fix it or send you a brand new one

12-10-2003, 01:00 PM
sony will deny everything they can about these problems with the ****ty ps2's...id suggest you throw the ps2 off your roof & buy an xbox

zzbudzz
12-10-2003, 01:27 PM
put it in the microwave that will fix it everytime! work wonders on mine........:blah:

Cody_300ex
12-10-2003, 02:47 PM
this should do the trick

About a month ago, I noticed that my aging PS2 would no longer read DVD video and audio CD discs. I tried using a laser-lens cleaning disc as well as upgrading my DVD software, but my PS2 continued to report the dreaded "disc read error." With PS2 repair jobs costing about as much as a new unit, I was determined to find a (hopefully free) fix.
After scouring countless online sources and finding little useful information, I came across a message board posting that suggested the problem may be related to an internal adjustment gone awry.
The result is that the disc read errors (DREs) are gone, and my PS2 is now as snappy as the day I pulled it out of its pretty blue box.
If a once-working PS2 has suddenly developed a case of the DREs, there is a good chance it can be fixed.
Achtung baby!
Disclaimer: While I have tried to make this guide as accurate and concise as possible, I take no responsibility for any damage you may cause. In addition, any alterations to your PS2 may void your warranty. Proceed at your own risk.
What you need
Before attempting the fix described below, read through this guide completely in order to familiarize yourself with the steps involved. Once that is done, gather the following items.
• Standard Phillips screwdriver
• #0 Phillips screwdriver (or eyeglass-sized)
• Cotton swabs
• Isopropyl rubbing alcohol
• Felt-tip pen or marker
Optional cleaning tools.
• Vacuum
• Can of compressed air
PS2 Tip No. 1: It's best to use a vacuum for cleaning the dust from electronic devices. Wiping the surface or dusting with compressed air may force contaminants inside of the device, making things worse
Screws and stickers
Before you do anything, disconnect the PS2's power and video connections. On the bottom of the PS2 are 10 square-shaped screw covers. Four of these double as rubber feet for the PS2 (when the device is laying flat.) Remove these covers to access and remove the screws. Some of the screws will be longer/shorter than the others so keep track of what goes where.

Removing the case
Once you've removed the screws, it's time to break the seal and completely void whatever warranty you may have had. Seriously, there is a "warranty seal" sticker near the PS2's power connector that must be removed in order to gain entrance to the innards of the beast.

With the screws removed and the warranty sticker "void," gently turn the PS2 right side up. Carefully remove the top cover by lifting the back edge and pulling it toward the front of the unit until it clears the controller jacks as well as the front of the disc tray.
You'll notice a metallic ribbon or white wires (depending on your PS2's age) connecting the main base to the eject/play buttons on the top cover. Remove the tape that normally holds this wire in place and set the top cover off to the side. Don't try to disconnect the ribbon/wires. There should be enough slack for the cover to lie off to the side.

Before moving on to the disc tray cover, now is a good time to blow out the dust that has collected around the fan and main circuit board. A can of compressed air will do the job nicely.
PS2 Tip No. 2: Always operate a PS2 in its prone position. Standing a PS2 vertically looks cool, but it seems to cause more problems than it's worth
With the PS2 splayed open, the disc tray cover removed, and the unit plugged in, eject the disc tray.

Toward the back of the PS2, behind the laser, is a white gear about 0.75-inches in diameter. This gear adjusts the distance between the disc surface and the laser's eye. It's also the key to fixing a PS2 that frequently suffers from disc read errors (DREs.) On the left side of the white gear will be a notched metal tab or a smaller brass-colored gear.

Use a felt-tip pen to mark the white gear at the point it contacts the tab/smaller gear. This provides a reference point for the original position of the gear as we prepare to make our adjustment(s). Now would be a good time to gently clean the laser's eye using a cotton swab dampened with a bit of rubbing alcohol.
Adjusting the gear position in order to fix DREs involves the following steps.
• Turn the white gear a notch or two (clockwise or counterclockwise)
• Replace disc cover (holding it in place with your hand)
• Insert a DVD
• If it works, insert a purple game disc
• If it works, insert an audio CD
If all three work, you are finished.
If any of the disc types fail to be read follow these steps.
• Eject the disc
• Remove the disc tray cover
• Move the gear a notch or two (perhaps in the other direction)
• Replace disc cover (holding it in place with your hand)
• Retest until all three disc types are properly detected
Once you have correctly positioned the gear and all disc types are reading properly, reassemble your PS2 and get gaming!

copy paste rulez!

SGA
12-10-2003, 04:17 PM
sony will deny everything they can about these problems with the ****ty ps2's...id suggest you throw the ps2 off your roof & buy an xbox
I had a maxxis tire get a hole in it one time! Maxxis denied everything! I threw that Maxxis tire off a roof and bought a Holeshot. Now the sun shines everyday and the birds are always singing.
Get my point here? :D

12-10-2003, 04:21 PM
Originally posted by zzbudzz
put it in the microwave that will fix it everytime! work wonders on mine........:blah: anyone ever put batteries in your microwave thinking it would recharge them? im probably the only kid who has ever did that. not only were them batteries hot but so was my @ss when my dad walked in there:eek2: :eek:

12-10-2003, 04:23 PM
Originally posted by JForestZ34
When you say your going from the blue screen to the movie and back and forth, are you playing it through a VCR if you are they incoded the dvd with somekind of code that when you play it through the VCR it does that so you can't copy the movie. Hope this helps.

James it only does it with my vcr

310Rduner
12-10-2003, 04:42 PM

Yep!! I knew it was YOU!!!

Congratulations, you are now the dumbest person I have ever run across.

http://pictureposter.allbrand.nu/pictures/chester90210/sorry%20your%20a%20homo.jpg

Bubba
12-10-2003, 08:48 PM
Originally posted by N.C REDNECK2433
i wouldnt tell him, he might want it back lol

lol..he said to me do u want my old ps2 for free, i think its broken. i was like HECK YEA

MOFO
12-11-2003, 05:50 AM
Originally posted by N.C REDNECK2433
sell the POS and get a PS3 next year when they come out. i hear that they are gonna go for around $500:eek2: . im gonna buy a warranty and trash mine. any1 have a problem with the dvd player? mine keeps going from the blue screen to the movie over and over again

first off there is NOT going to be a home game system that costs $500.... flat out wont sell them....

second, why would you buy a warranty then trash them? All that does is increase the price for "us" to buy the damn warranty! :mad:

third, sounds like you have problems not related to the PS2!

MOFO
12-11-2003, 05:53 AM

real intelligent post :rolleyes:

rollie
01-05-2004, 02:55 PM
That happened to me to and i went to go get it fixed and they bassicly told me that its not even worth fixing because it would cost more to fix it than to just buy another... so just buy another one:)

01-05-2004, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by nacsracer12
That happened to me to and i went to go get it fixed and they bassicly told me that its not even worth fixing because it would cost more to fix it than to just buy another... so just buy another one:)

Why would you want to buy another one? I mean come on you just bought one for fricken 200 bucks shouldnt it last? Dont wanna sound ignorant, but Ps2s have a tendency to break IF not taken care or like a 2 stroke compared to a 4 stroke. Cant keep it in a dusty place, cant drop it, cant do too much to a Ps2 without it breaking, and trust me, i have had experience. I love my xbox so far and havnt heard anything bad about one yet, or about one breaking, but i am also not sayin go throw your ps2 off the roof, still a good gaming system as long as you take good care of it.

Glow Plug
01-05-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by bobby88
Why would you want to buy another one? I mean come on you just bought one for fricken 200 bucks shouldnt it last? Dont wanna sound ignorant, but Ps2s have a tendency to break IF not taken care or like a 2 stroke compared to a 4 stroke. Cant keep it in a dusty place, cant drop it, cant do too much to a Ps2 without it breaking, and trust me, i have had experience. I love my xbox so far and havnt heard anything bad about one yet, or about one breaking, but i am also not sayin go throw your ps2 off the roof, still a good gaming system as long as you take good care of it.

well thats like blaming it on a quad that won't start because it's never been cleaned or matiened. I would hope that alot if not all game system owners keep there systems in a clean well ventalted place :rolleyes:

01-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Originally posted by Glow Plug
well thats like blaming it on a quad that won't start because it's never been cleaned or matiened. I would hope that alot if not all game system owners keep there systems in a clean well ventalted place :rolleyes:

I have never once had a problem with any of my gaming systems i have owned, i bought an N64 when it first came out and still have it and it Still works like a charm without any maintnence on any of them. My 64 sat out in a damp, old garage with nothin around it for like 2 years too. Im just saying why buy something for soo much money that you have to take apart and clean and mess with soo much.