PDA

View Full Version : Where to start

Teamja
12-09-2003, 06:48 PM
I have a 1999 400 EX, some slight power mods but no suspension mods. My main question is where is the best place to start when improving the suspension, and is it worth sticking any money into a near stock 400EX when the YFZ and 450R are either available or soon to be available. I do not race, mostly trail riding, and well the best components would be nice, I am more looking for a solid upgrade for the money.

JOEX
12-09-2003, 06:55 PM
It depends on what you want to do in the in future as far as riding, are you looking to get into racing? Local or national? Or just general riding for fun?

And, of course, how much money you want to spend.

Most start with the A-arms and front shocks.

Joe

Teamja
12-09-2003, 07:13 PM
More info added in original post, no racing, and I would like to achieve maximum gains with minimal dollars.

Thanks,

Ryan

bmw500hp
12-09-2003, 08:02 PM
Originally posted by Teamja
I have a 1999 400 EX, some slight power mods but no suspension mods. My main question is where is the best place to start when improving the suspension, and is it worth sticking any money into a near stock 400EX when the YFZ and 450R are either available or soon to be available. I do not race, mostly trail riding, and well the best components would be nice, I am more looking for a solid upgrade for the money.

You now have a quad in which I presume is bought and paid for. Are you willing to spring for a 6000.00 new one?

Right now you can poke around and find a nice set of used shocks for probably $500.00 or so. Throw a rear rebuild into the equation and your face will look like this.:D

When your ready for that new Quad, you more than likely will get a good 70% of your suspension investment back upon your return to stock.

I Say Go for it! :devil:

JOEX
12-09-2003, 09:08 PM
I'd suggest new tires, if your stock rims are straight keep them or upgrade to reinforced rims or beadlocks. Don't waste your money on the the popular regular '.190 rims' stock are better and can be found fairly cheap sometimes;)

Do you have an aftermarket swing arm skid plate? Good investment;)

Then front shocks...

Joe