PDA

View Full Version : Need some of you 4x4 truck guys help

Pvt. Maggot
12-09-2003, 06:46 PM
I have a 1985 Chevy Blazer full size 4x4...every option you could get back then...power windows..ect. it has a 305 and that little motor has some balls...have a holly 4 barrel on it...straight back duals with cherry bombs....heres what i'm going to be doing to it...need to know what kind of parts i should get...

thinking about getting 350 headers...just because mine are stock and i'm sure aftermarket or bigger ones would help out..

engine dress up kit...there not too expensive...i saw ones for like..70 bucks...

3 inch body lift...there pretty cheap too...saw some for 70 bucks or so...

35 inch tires...not sure what kind to get...give me some ideas..maybe some cheaper kind..

tell me what else you think i should get for my beast. :devil:

need some links to some good 4x4 part sites...thanks alot guys!

250x#93
12-09-2003, 07:07 PM
Sounds like u got sum good plans so far thats for sure:devil:

D11NR
12-09-2003, 07:36 PM
Originally posted by Pvt. Maggot
I have a 1985 Chevy Blazer full size 4x4...every option you could get back then...power windows..ect. it has a 305 and that little motor has some balls...have a holly 4 barrel on it...straight back duals with cherry bombs....heres what i'm going to be doing to it...need to know what kind of parts i should get...

thinking about getting 350 headers...just because mine are stock and i'm sure aftermarket or bigger ones would help out..

engine dress up kit...there not too expensive...i saw ones for like..70 bucks...

3 inch body lift...there pretty cheap too...saw some for 70 bucks or so...

35 inch tires...not sure what kind to get...give me some ideas..maybe some cheaper kind..

tell me what else you think i should get for my beast. :devil:

need some links to some good 4x4 part sites...thanks alot guys!
Your gonna need a bigger lift ( Suspension ) to run 35's ( I dont know of a cheap 35" tire ), and I would definately go with a 350 if your gonna build a big 4x4 and run the 35's, as for the dress up kit I wouldnt put the fancy chrome waterneck on ( it's just gonna leak ) Headers with flowmasters rock. Get yourself a 4x4 mag and
start checkin prices an brands, your gonna dump some $ into it but it will be cool when your done. I built a truck not to long ago and had an easy$1500 in the motor alone, then there was everything else :eek2: it was an experience to say the least. Good Luck:D

redrider69
12-09-2003, 07:42 PM
yea your defanilty going to have to get more than a 3 inch lift to run 35's and big tires dont run to cheap .

Pvt. Maggot
12-09-2003, 07:48 PM
i plan on shaving the fenders a little...make them a little bigger...i have a set of 36 gumbo monster mudders and they fit under the truck fine...i know the suspension will move but with a 2 inch body lift..and the fenders shaved a little i'm pretty sure it will fit good...i can't get a new motor...so i'm prob going to get a cam and stuff...nothing major...its gonna be a road truck really...with the 4x4 adventure every once in awhile lol links would help alot! thanks everyone

Aceman
12-09-2003, 07:48 PM
I have a 75 Chev 4x4 pickup with a 350. I bought some plain summit racing headers and ran 2 1/2 inch pipe back to some Flowmaster 40 series Delta Flows. If that isn't the sweetest sounding exhaust, I don't know what is. Not super loud unless you really get on it, but real throaty with pretty good bass. Of course my exhaust ends about 2 feet behind my cab.

Aceman
12-09-2003, 07:50 PM
You could also try a Edelbrock performance package(cam, intake)

Taco
12-09-2003, 07:52 PM
from what you have said it would be useless for any of us to give you any information b/c you just ignore what everyone says and apparently have no idea what your talking about:rolleyes:

Pvt. Maggot
12-09-2003, 09:02 PM
i'm not ignoring anyone :huh i'm just saying...i can't spend tons of cash on the truck...so i have to keep alot of what i have...and i don't know what i'm talking about?...:huh yeah...alright...anyway...anyone with some useful info would be great...any links or anything...thanks alot.

BeltSlipper
12-10-2003, 01:09 AM
If your going to run 35's, your going to have to change gears. I would suggest going to 4.10's minimum. A 3" body lift will be fine if you don't plan on turning. And if you have a 700r4 trans, I would suggest getting the electronic device that changes the speed of when your torque converter comes in. IF you drive with those big tires in town much you'll cause yourself trouble with the tranny. Reason I mention this,,,been there done it.. The electronice device (can't remember the name of the darn thing) is under $100. If you look hard enough you can get 35's for a decent price. You can get a new GM Crate 350 LB for about $2700 from Pace. $700 for tires, cheaper if you look hard enough.
Just my opinion.

ewalker302
12-10-2003, 04:00 AM
I have a 79 Bronco with a 351M and 3.50 gears.

This is about the same weight and you probably have a lower gearset than 3.50. My engine has been massaged a bit but we are somewhat similar.

First is this your only vehicle?? Or more important how much road vs. off road driving is it used for???

If it's gonna be driven on more than off don't go bigger than 33's. I know is dosent look as good, but even 33x12.50's put a lot of strain on a stock drivetrain.

Get a 4" suspension lift & stay away from the body lifts (too many reasons to type) especially for a big wide heavy truck like your blazer.

If I were you and planned on keeping the truck
Leave the engine alone & run it till it dies, then swap in a 350 & then worry about performance. With the 305 the more you throw at it the more it will piss you off.

:bandit:

KrazyKid300ex
12-10-2003, 05:24 AM
i have an 87 bronco that im about to do things to after my yfz. Anyway, to clear 35s on a bronco, you need atleast a 4" lift or 6" to be all clear. Stay away from body lifts, hey are more hassle than they are worth. you do not want to have the tires rub on anything in the wells or the frame for that matter. what is the stock tire size on it.

JForestZ34
12-10-2003, 08:01 AM
I would do what ewalker302 said to do. I had a 88 blazer full size with 4in suspension lift and 4in body lift running on 35's. Let me tell you the truck looked great but for some reason the truck looked better with just the suspension lift. Also here is Jersey with it that high I had to take it to the state for the roll over test. It passed when you lossen the front stabilizer bar, but other than that it was fine. It also had a 350 with TBI. The truck had a aftermarket 30 gallon tank, THAT I HAD TO FILL UP TWICE A WEEK. When your going to lift the truck your going to have to fill up the tank a bit more even if you gear it different. Just because the motor will be revving alittle higher. But go for it. If you want to wake up the 305 put a dual plane intake with new headers and flowmaster mufflers on it and it will help. THose probalby costs about $300 for both. I also had a 77 blazer real rusted piece of metal but it ran like nothing I have ever owned before. The only thing I did on that truck was cut off the exhaust from the manifold and bought a new exhaust. Hooked it up with straight pipes to flowmaster 40 series and wow what a sound. Not to loud when normal driving or when idleing but when you opened it up man did that thing scream. Hope this helps.

P.S. When you go with a lift kit try to find a kit that has a heavy duty pitman arm. Mine used to break all the time.

James

Moded86R
12-10-2003, 09:47 AM
I am not exactly sure what "350 headers"are.For a 305 you will want a small primary tube.I think dynomax makes some headers for small blocks with small primary's.Going bigger on on the primary's means you will lose low-end.And with a 305 and 35's you will need all of it you can get.

If I was you I would stay away from those cheap chrome dress up kits.All they do is leak.I found this out after buying some edelbrock valve covers and trying to get them to seal.So I took my stock one's and sand blasted them and painted the chevy orange and put some comp cams stickers on em.They look pretty good and I have alot of people comment on them.

As for the body lift.I don't think you are going to clear 35's.Yes you could trim the fenders.But IMO you just lowered the value of your truck alot.That's just silly.

If you insist on staying with a 305 I would suggest an good intake.I am partial to performer RPM's from edelbrock.Also a smaller cam.I ran a lunati bracket master cam with .458 lift,218 degree's of duration @ .050.And a 110 LSA.You could also try a set of 1.6 roller rockers instead of a cam swap.I prefer to stay with the factory 1.5 ratio.Only because the geometry is better.

Like someone else said.Get a good 4wd mag and read everything you can.Maybe pick up a couple of books on how to hop up small blocks and read them.

I have built 3 small blocks and I am getting ready to build another.I have a pretty good idea how to make them run.

capecod400ex
12-10-2003, 03:36 PM
Here you go

http://www.skyjacker.com/products-search-detail.asp?ID=49802&vyear=1985&vmake=CHEVROLET&vmodel=BLAZER&partnumber=C140AK

they have great lift kits wit drop pit man arms.

As for the motor i have a 350 with headers carb intake flow masters and a performance Egnition, And its alot more awake.

If your going to be on the street more than off road BG goodrich all terrians work ok offroad and arnt loud on the street they handal good.

Other than that thow a CB with dual whips and your all set.

hondarules
12-10-2003, 06:52 PM
www.4wheelparts.com

www.truckperformance.com

www.ntwonline.com

..those are some good places to look around..i think the 3" lift would clear the tires cause i have a 4" suspension lift on my 85 gmc an they clear juss fine an they only rub when u turn real sharp..for the motor i would juss get some heads..cam..an some flows..regearing it would help out alot on the gas mileage..

if your gonna stay off-road more than on road i would go with some kind of super swamper tires but there not cheap but they do good in different kinds of terrain..

an i got me some truck nutz for mine..hardly anybody has them an they'll turn some heads..

www.trucknutz.com is the link

ridesa02400EX
12-10-2003, 09:42 PM
3 inch body lift would be fine but i suggest that you get a suspension lift instead and some 36s and the tires should be fine for the size engine you have, i know guys runnin 36s with a 22r (toyota 4 cylinder) and stock gears (4.10s). you might have to re gear i dont know. effective ratio= old tire diameter divide it by new tire diameter X original gear ratio and to find what gear ratio you need do new tire size divide it by the old tire size then multiply the answer time the original gear ratio.

L.Vegas400
12-10-2003, 10:39 PM
sign up here www.fullsizechevy.com these guys have seen and done it all. its a forum for chevys like this is for ex's. there is a crap load of info on there, with a bit of digging you will find the answer to ANY question you have.

Wicked K5
12-11-2003, 01:01 AM
Also check out Colorado K5 (http://www.coloradok5.com) Not strictly for folks in CO, but a ton of info from actual hardcore four-wheelers. Not to mention, that site is mostly dedicated to K5's. For killer parts, click the Off-Road Design link off that page. I've got a lot of their parts and absolutely love them. The pic below shows my rig a lil twisted, but thanks to the ORD parts, I can articulate much more than that:devil:

http://www.norcal-ls1.com/multimedia/data/500/88k5_twist1-med.jpg

Bigg Pimpin
12-11-2003, 02:06 AM
I agree with what has been said about the dress up kit. Save your money all it will do is leak. Your best bet IMHO as far as the engine goes is run that one till you have the $$ flow or it dies then get yourself a stock 350 short block, set of Vortec 350 heads, Edlebrock Torquer II intake and a set of full length headers with 3" collectors. Which can be done for less than $2500! As far as making it pretty just get yourself a nice set of Powder coated valve covers and Aluminum brakcets and clear coat the brackets, intake and anything else alum. Paint everything else a nice semi-gloss of your choice. If you want 35's you will need to get 4.56 gears to keep any grunt on the low end. Pep Boys carries Dakota RVT's for less than $100 each. :D Here's my last one Dodge Magnum 318 Roller Motor bored .040 over(325cid) 52mm TB,True roller cam/Double Roller Timing chain,,Comp. valve job w/ butterflied valves(2.02 I., 1.65 E.),Ported&Polished,Brass Cap&Rotor, 19lb FMS injectors, K&N, PPH headers 1 5/8 Primaries w/2.5" collectors, Carsound Hi-Flo Cat., Flowmaster w/ Duals.

325hp/375tq

http://images.cardomain.com/member_images/9/web/393000-393999/393407_16_full.jpg

JessetheKid
12-14-2003, 12:03 PM
35 should fit good under a 3in lift, i know a guy that had that set up but it was on a old f 150 and it looked bad. i found this site on day here are some bad trucks
http://siblingrivalry.com/

rodenberg35
12-14-2003, 03:08 PM
I will sell you NOS 75-250 hp kit for $300

300exQuadracer
12-14-2003, 08:09 PM
mastercraft makes a courser mt in a 35 and 33 for about 115 a peice and 2 of my friends have the 33`s on their trucks and one with 35`s and they will walk through just about anything!

brif
12-14-2003, 08:48 PM
Before I would do anything I would find out what gear ratio you have. From what I remember the blazers with the 305 had high(numerically lower) gears and this combined with a 305 and 35's = big problems. To run 35's I agree you'll want at least 4.10's. You could get by with 3.73's with 33's. If you have the tall gears you are more or less screwed. Sure you can switch your gear ratio but on a 4x4 (you have to do both ends) it's big bucks. So if you have the really tall gear sets and still want to run the 35's I'd start saving and trade it in on something else. Sure you could switch gears but it'll cost you an arm and a leg and won't add anything to the resale value. This may sound discouraging now but take it from someone who has been there and done that. Start with a vehicle that has a bigger v8 and some 4.10 gears, then when you want to go bigger the 2 most exspensive things to fix are done.

sickyellow400ex
12-14-2003, 08:52 PM
if u are gona but 35's i would just go with a 4 inch suspension lift, my friend has an 84 shortbed with 4 inch and 35" all terains and the thing looks sick, tires arnt the best but better than nuthing, hes got a 350 in it tho with intake, carb, cam, long tube headers, and 2 1/2 in into 2 flowmaster duel chamber 40 series, sounds the balls, hes got a turbo 350 with a b&m shift kit, the truck is nuts.