View Full Version : what do most people do with this???

flyin_high
12-09-2003, 05:46 PM
i was out in my garage tongiht looking at my bike, i took the black plastic peice of the back by the footpegs to protect ya from sand and rocks and stuf, i thoguht it looked good, what do you guys usually do with that peice, do yas mostly just take them of or leave them on, i kinda thoguht it looked more of a racing bike without them and just the footpeg there. reply back please thanks,.

Jeremy Coburn
Fredericton New Brunswick Canada

JOEX
12-09-2003, 05:56 PM
Those would be the heel guards. They are there to help prevent your foot from getting back there and being run over by the rear tire. That doesn't feel very good:(

With some, maybe most nerfbars, they will need to be removed for the bars to fit.

Joe

Woodsrider
12-09-2003, 06:17 PM
I ran my quad with out them for half a summer when I got it. Then put them on, unless I get nerf bars, they're stayin on.

ridesa02400EX
12-10-2003, 09:23 PM
get nerf bars and toss the heel guards i think it looks way better

Diedrich
12-10-2003, 09:41 PM
Originally posted by ridesa02400EX
get nerf bars and toss the heel guards i think it looks way better

yeah sure does

Narly R
12-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Well looks wont make you faster, I mean why take them off if they are EXTRA support, I always put my heels on out warriors... I think some xc races do it so mudd and stuff wont get up in there. Maybe they look better, but I say leave them on, if ya get nerfts though you prollly will ahve to take them off. JMO.

400grl
12-11-2003, 03:29 PM
KEEP THEM ON!!! I ran over my foot twice - and let me tell you - it hurts!!!! Oh wait - that was with those guards on.....how did that happen?? Yeah - you might as well run them as long as you can - most nerfs won't allow them to stay on. I even got heelguards for my Banshee nerfs because I want all the extra protection I can get!!! :)

AtvMxRider
12-11-2003, 03:47 PM
Keep them on. I have AC nerfs and still run the stock heel guards. My biggest problem is without them my feet get stuck under the rear fender while I'm riding:eek: .

foleyit
12-11-2003, 03:52 PM
Yeah it looks cool with out them on, but how cool is having your foot ran over? I would run them if they'd work with my DG Pro-Peg nerf bars.

quadryda
12-18-2003, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by AtvMxRider
Keep them on. I have AC nerfs and still run the stock heel guards. My biggest problem is without them my feet get stuck under the rear fender while I'm riding:eek: .

same here i neva got run ova without them tho

12-18-2003, 07:49 PM
my foot slippe doff the left peg on a wet day ( did have heel guards on)...i was doing around 10 mph when this happened & it dragged it untill I could reach back up & hit the front brakes....it is much worse than this picture, this was also 5 months ago...my heelguards are so messed up...they are barely being held on, im only keeping them on there b/c the stop mud & stuff from coming up...cant wait to get some money & get the AC nerfs with heel guards :D

12-21-2003, 04:15 PM
keep the heel guards on and like they are saying it may make ur bike look cool but its not worth having ur foot ran over and hurt it if u want ur bike to loof cooler get nerfs i got the dg alloy series with red webbing it looks like a whole diffrent bike

NoWingNoPrayer
12-21-2003, 05:51 PM
I had them when my 400ex was still a youngster sure enuff through wrecks and what not they got ripped apart and i took them off.

i havent ever lost my footing on my quad in a normal situation (if you do you might want to sharpen your pegs) .. yes i have had my foot caught betwwen the peg tire and axle rolling down a hill and thanks to my boots came out with severe bruises..

if they are good leavem if they arent tossem

passengers without them is alright if they want holeshot shaped scars.

RH1N08d9
12-21-2003, 07:38 PM
If you wear full size riding boots, you shouldn't have a problem with getting your feet cought back there, at least I don't, but if you ride in regular shoes, then definently keep them on!

Toadz400
12-21-2003, 10:04 PM
Personally I've never had a problem with my foot slipping off or coming close to my rear tires, even in wet conditions. Meh, get AC Pro Pegs nerfs...they help a lot with slipping, if you have a problem with it.

12-21-2003, 10:37 PM
i just took mine off...they were barely hanging on there anyway & I dont think they save me fro mmy foot slipping off...,my foot usually goes off the sides...anyways, time to sharpen up these stock pegs & order me some AC pro pegs with those metal heel guards :D my adidas shoes arent really cutting it anymore either

Red00Honda400EX
01-02-2004, 08:15 PM
I've always had my heal guards on since day one. One day last summer after going off of a jump very crooked I landed side ways and my foot flew off of the foot peg. I was going balls out in the top of 3rd gear. I dragged under my 400 for about 60-70ft. Tore my entire boot apart and put my on cruches for a few days. I did still ride for another hour till my foot went numb. My entire ankle was black and blue and my foot was a swollen up. I won't ever take mine off untill I get nerfs WITH heal guards.

svwildcats
01-02-2004, 09:13 PM
I've personally never had a problem with my foot falling off the pegs unless mine are packed with ice then they slide of to the side... I took mine off when I got ac nerfs and with boots on I've never had a problem, and my nerfs dont have the heelguards. I say leave them on til you get nerfbars, with the standard AC nerfs you can modify the stock heelguards pretty easily to fit if you want to go that way, but once you get nerfs I say just take them off, and get boots and you'll never have a problem.

TCracin440ex
01-04-2004, 07:44 AM
yea get rid of them crummy heel guards, get some AC pro peg nerfs (wide peg) but whatever you do dont put the heel guards on it...the heel guards make it look like shyt....the ac pro peg nerfs are sharp enough to keep your foot on the peg....the bottom of my boots have groves cut in them from the ac pro pegs they really grip....i hate them heel guards...i believe if you spend 5k on a quad they should atleast come with a set of nerfs...

norcalatver
01-04-2004, 08:18 AM
I would not put nerf bars on unless you need them. With nerf bars installed you lose reverse. You are unable to put your feet down and simply push yourself backward with nerfs. I know, I put them on my 400 with the Tim Farr Pro Pegs and ended up chopping the nerfs off the pegs. Ended up with some pretty cool pegs though!

TCracin440ex
01-04-2004, 08:23 AM
dude thats why u shave your front plastics so you can just put your feet on the wheels and push yourself back like that....id be damnned if im choppin off my nerfs...200.00 for some ac pro pegs....chopping them off is pointless....if i wanted wider pegs i coulda went to ims roll design pegs

dirtmomma
01-04-2004, 08:44 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
KEEP THEM ON!!! I ran over my foot twice - and let me tell you - it hurts!!!! Oh wait - that was with those guards on.....how did that happen?? Yeah - you might as well run them as long as you can - most nerfs won't allow them to stay on. I even got heelguards for my Banshee nerfs because I want all the extra protection I can get!!! :)

LMAO Cory your a hoot!!!:D We made some for our blaster to go on w/ the nerfs cuz there was just too much space backt here to get your foot caught in, I was like Cory & wanted all the protection I could get for me & my son they do get in the way of starting sometimes but once you get used to it it's all good!!! I would leave them on till you have to take them off then get some nerfs w/ heel guards.

TCracin440ex
01-04-2004, 08:47 AM
besides norcal...i can proally spin my 400ex arround quicker than any1 who has reverse can turn arround....hold the front brake, lean fwd to unload the rear shock, turn the wheels and i can turn that thing arround on a dime

redrider69
01-05-2004, 11:01 AM
yea i run with them off and been runnin em wit it off since this summer and no accidents yet:D

400redneck
01-07-2004, 10:17 AM
hey if u want different than just shave them down.

shave them down like fenders.

follow the lines on the heel guards and u can take an inch or two
off them and they look great.

and it is some thing not many think to do..:D

SSRedRider
01-07-2004, 11:10 AM
I took mine off they will come off sooner or later. As for your alls feet coming off the pegs I put IMS pegs on and my feet stay on the pegs, even during the muddy cross country races. I also don't run nerf bars. Its hard to use the tires to back uou up when you are up against a tree going downhill, yes it happens. Besides its much faster to back yourself up with your legs on the ground than backing tires up with your feet. In a race you want the fastest way

TCracin440ex
01-07-2004, 01:32 PM
i dont run xc tho so i wouldnt kno....ive got my nerfs for 1 main reason motocross