PDA

View Full Version : which cam for my 416 kit hot cam stage 1 or 2 or web cam?

ranger400ex1994
12-09-2003, 05:16 PM
i am building a 416 kit with 11:1 compresson and a port and polish job. but i was going to get a hot cam stage 2 but i have heard people say that they lost alot of bottom end. i mostaly trail ride but i am starting MX racing next summer and i plan on getting into it alot. but what do you think. get the stage 2 hot cam or go with the stage 1 or get a race web cam?

12-09-2003, 05:49 PM
depends on if u want to spend the money for hard rockers or not...if u do then go with a big time web cam...if u want a drop in go with the stage 2 hotcam for sure...i didnt lose much low end because of the high comp piston...if your going mx go with the stage 2 for a drop in...and if your going hard rockers go with a big web cam

UglyMotha™
12-09-2003, 07:27 PM
YOU DON'T LOOSE ANY BOTTOM END

the only difference you'll notice with the stage II is that is will bog down quicker you just have to compensate with higher revs and you'll have all the bottom end you need you can't lug you gotta get on the mofo and ride here like a 2 stroke and you'll be a happy little camper stage II would be real nice for mx talk to silverfox she had a webcam then switched to the stage II and says she likes the stage II better

Taco
12-09-2003, 07:33 PM
uhhh didnt you just contradict yourself ugly???:huh wouldnt it be a loss of bottom end if you have to keep the fudger revved up

ranger400ex1994
12-09-2003, 07:50 PM
well i do live to rev even with the stock motor so i will probably get the stage 2 but would you recoumded me getting a high rev black box?

12-09-2003, 07:54 PM
with your mods...it may be something to consider...i did fine running your setup without one...i only needed one when i bought a FCR 39mm...those rev out so fast you are gonna need 1 for sure...so its an opnion question...but it does change your power curve a bit...so thats good

Silverfox@C&DRacing
12-10-2003, 09:08 AM
I did have the web cam allround grind and switched to the hotcam stg 2. It seems to pull harder and I don't have any problems with loss of bottom I trail ride and race mx. I am a lazy shifter so I when I trail ride the motor lugs it will bog but I just give it more gas and away we go :D

Ugly I wonder if the difference between our bikes is the port and polish that you have as far as lugging, I have no idea just a thought. I am sure there are other factors but this might be one of them.

UglyMotha™
12-10-2003, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Taco
uhhh didnt you just contradict yourself ugly???:huh wouldnt it be a loss of bottom end if you have to keep the fudger revved up

Not really it doesn’t matter what rpms your at really kinda like you can be at the bottom of 3rd gear but if you slip your clutch a little you can keep the rpms higher but yet your still at the bottom of third gear :p

hey dusty i think with the ported head and the full exhaust system not to mentiong the header on mine is huge, i think all that just makes mine more of a top end bike in other words it loves to breath and have the snot revved out of it :eek2:

hook
12-10-2003, 09:18 AM
stg 2 good cam no problems trail ride an drags:devil:

hook
12-10-2003, 09:25 AM
stg 2 good cam no problems trail ride an drags:devil:

12-10-2003, 09:29 AM
i race XC and crosscountry back in tight trials and i love that cam...so i think its pretty much a great cam for almost anything

Doibugu2
12-10-2003, 10:12 AM
I wish someone really had some actual data. Everyone giving there opinions is kind of a waste. Obviously Dusty has never ridden Ugly's quad so they cannot really compare.

How about an exriders test of all the cams? Paid for by C&D:D

Silverfox@C&DRacing
12-10-2003, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
I wish someone really had some actual data. Everyone giving there opinions is kind of a waste. Obviously Dusty has never ridden Ugly's quad so they cannot really compare.

You guys pay for the cams and I will test them for you :blah:

UglyMotha™
12-10-2003, 10:40 AM

Dusty can ride my quad any day of the week http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/eyebrows.gif

**scooby doo laugh** :blah:

Ex'r Marlin
12-10-2003, 10:44 AM
I do not do any MX, but I would think if I put on some 18" tires, my 416 10.8 to 1 with a Hotcam stage 2 would really accelerate without much "lugging"!:macho With my 22" tires, there is a little "lug", but when I go with the 20", good bottom end, even with my fat butt.

Note: I too have a Yoshimura slip-on.:cool:

I have not hardened my rockers to date. Over a year now with this 416 mod, and still running great!:) :macho

pnut420
12-10-2003, 10:51 AM
Even though a got into a beef with hotcams, I would say it is the best cam for the money and has awesome power gains, I think with the saved money of the hotcam, you could port the heads and out it towards other things, a cam can only get so good.

H_W
12-10-2003, 03:26 PM
I have a hotcam stage 2 and I love it. I think it is one of the best mods that I have made to my bike.

Doibugu2
12-10-2003, 03:31 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
Even though a got into a beef with hotcams, I would say it is the best cam for the money and has awesome power gains, I think with the saved money of the hotcam, you could port the heads and out it towards other things, a cam can only get so good.

That's what I'm thinking. TC's cam and Sparks cam are more than double a hot cam. And no one has shown which one is better.

12-10-2003, 03:35 PM
That's what I'm thinking. TC's cam and Sparks cam are more than double a hot cam. And no one has shown which one is better.

probably because no one wants to pay $400 for a sparks aggressive cam when you can pick up a hotcam for only $105...im sure the sparks cam is WAY better but y waste your money to get just a cam when you can buy lots of other stuff...sure if your going full race it would be good to do...as for the TC they are around $150 from what i have heard and they make some great low end cams...never really heard much about their mx cam

BIGRED400
12-10-2003, 06:23 PM
I like my Hot cams stage 2..........just got it all together last saturday.........go with a good compression piston and it''ll help what lil loss I've seen which is very little...........but a whole lot of difference when you get on it and it pulls harder than the bottom end cams:eek2: ....I like it:D

BIGRED400
JE 416 11:1 with this http://www.swaintech.com/4whl.html
HotCams Stage Duece
E-series with 18 disc
170 main
K&N w/2 outerwears
Modified Lid
Full Tank of 100 Octane..........smells good

dj416
12-10-2003, 06:29 PM
i got a stage 1 with an 11:1 416 piston port + polished head and pro circut exaust and i love it. tons of low end and pulls strong till the rev limiter. only thing that sucks is i got a stock length swing arm and it wheelies real bad out of turns when it hooks up. it took a while to learn how to ride it again

jasoncarr25
12-10-2003, 06:55 PM
i was told web cam makes a drop in. is this true? the guy that did my work said it was a drop in cause i didnt want to spend money on valves and springs and everything.

12-10-2003, 08:08 PM
yes...webcam does make some drop in cams

jasoncarr25
12-11-2003, 06:49 PM
are they any good?

jasoncarr25
12-11-2003, 06:50 PM
i havnt got to ride it yet just putting it back together.

12-11-2003, 06:52 PM
i dunno...ive never ran a drop in web cam :(

Colby@C&DRacing
12-11-2003, 07:38 PM
All of webs cams are hardwelded and reground, this is the reason they recommend hardfaced rockers. Running no hardned rockers on the webcam will void the warranty.