PDA

View Full Version : Swing-Arm Pivot Bolt Nut Size?

Quadzilla
12-09-2003, 09:35 AM
Hey guys,

I'm about to pull my motor out of my frame (for a 425 rebuild) and need to know what size socket to buy for the Nut that holds the Swing Arm Pivot bolt on. I went to Service Honda's site to look up the part and it says "14mm Nut". Well I can tell you that the outside diameter is not 14mm, that must be the inside diameter of the threads. The outside diameter is much larger than that. Can somebody tell me what size it is so I don't waste trips to Sears (which is pretty far away from me). Oh, I also looked in the FAQ area on this forum which decribes the Pivot Bolt removal and it does not state what size socket you will need.

Thanks,
Fred

Doibugu2
12-09-2003, 10:23 AM
I believe one side is 17mm and the other side is 22. But I'm not 100% on that.

JOEX
12-09-2003, 11:14 AM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
I believe one side is 17mm and the other side is 22. But I'm not 100% on that.
100% correct:macho

Quadzilla
12-09-2003, 11:36 AM
Thanks guys! Man, this site Rox!!!!

Doibugu2
12-09-2003, 12:04 PM
I see your bike is a 99, have you greased your bolt at all?

If not do a search for pivot bolts and see what type of trouble you might be in for!

Aceman
12-09-2003, 01:24 PM
I think you need to know what thread pitch also, since metric bolts have 3 different thread pitches. Unless your going to buy all 3.

Quadzilla
12-09-2003, 02:08 PM
Doibugu2 yes the quad is a '99 but the good news is that the quad has been used very little. It was originally purchased from my local dealer by a Baltimore Oriole pitcher named Alan Mills. He owned it for a VERY short period until the club found out about it and made him get rid of it. I'm told that he only rode it around his yard. After that one of my best friends bought it from the dealer (3 yrs ago) and rode it twice (yes that's two times). I recently bought it (and have about 5 or 6 good rides on it). It still looks new. I'd say it has about 40-50 hrs on it total. Assuming that the pivot bolt grease dries up from use and not age, I should be ok. I also soaked the hell out of both sides and the middle of the bolt (where it is exposed) about 5 days ago.

I just bought a large breaker bar and 22mm socket from Sears. If that does not work, I have a friend who owns both a air hammer and a Saw-Zaw. Hopefully a little heat and the breaker bar will do it, but if not, I can load it up and take it to my buddies place and break out the heavy stuff.

If I have to replace the bolt and nut, I'll get them from Service Honda (under $30 total). I also see that Pivot Works makes a full bearing/bushing replacement kit for under $50. Thanks again and wish me luck!

Crawl69
12-09-2003, 03:03 PM
my '99 is the same way, and i still had to beat the pi$$ out of it. after soaking it for a week, i cut it in half and was able to get the nut side out. then i cut the head off of the bolt and pulled the engine so i could bet the bushing out of the swingarm to get it out.

good luck

Doibugu2
12-09-2003, 03:22 PM
Getting the nut off the one end should be fairly easy. What seems to happen is the bolt itself gets rusted in. You can turn it, usually pretty easy, it just won't come out. That's why must people beat it out.

But you never know, good luck and glad we can help!

Quadzilla
12-15-2003, 03:04 PM
The bolt came right out, no issues! Thanks guys and gals!

f1502nv
12-15-2003, 04:30 PM
anyone have feed back on the greasable swingarm bolt have one just havent used it yet!!!!

pnut420
12-15-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by f1502nv
anyone have feed back on the greasable swingarm bolt have one just havent used it yet!!!!

They work great, you just need to drill 1 or 2 small holed through the sleeves and drill holes in the bolt where the sleeves rest, I out mine in without doing that, but Im going to pull it out in a couple weeks, then drill the sleeve and bolt, I just had to get my 426 in