PDA

View Full Version : running staright headers on 400ex! bad or good? no silencer

660r2a400ex
12-08-2003, 09:42 PM
hey i am running the straight header pipe, stock with no silencer, seems to run fine, sounds great for day time riding or closed tracks, is this bad for my engine, will it bend a valve or do any damage internally or on the outside, i dont want to mess anything up but really enjoy the soundsthat this set up puts on, please, i am open to all coments and information, give me your feed back

hawiianpwr
12-08-2003, 10:11 PM
Yeah its not good. Your not getting any backpressure which 4 strokes need. The sound issue is another thing. There are alot of people after us trying to take our hobbie/sport away from us and the sound issue is their biggest complaint. My advice is to get something on there as soon as possible, it'll run better anyway.

JOEX
12-08-2003, 11:39 PM
Be sure to put the smallest jet in there too:rolleyes: Might as well take your air filter off too, it is very restrictive.....

Joe

LazeR
12-09-2003, 12:03 AM
Shouldn't it be fine as long as he puts a different muffler bearing on?

JOEX
12-09-2003, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by LazeR
Shouldn't it be fine as long as he puts a different muffler bearing on?
As long as the muffler bearings are after the Flux Capacitor, assuming you are using the red powerband of course:devil:

Joe

hondarider2006
12-09-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by JOEX
Be sure to put the smallest jet in there too:rolleyes: Might as well take your air filter off too, it is very restrictive.....

Joe

***** if I was him, I would take the whole air box off and just run straight intake to the carb, as well as a straight exaust:huh

LazeR
12-09-2003, 12:49 AM
Im thinking about bending a my header so it goes out the front of the bike and im not gonna run a silencer so then it will have back pressure.....then im gonna get a stage 5 racing red powerband with a super hefty muffler bearing and im gonna remove my air box and air filter......will this run ok?

skemp
12-09-2003, 01:49 AM
It is bad. Just don't do it.

ewalker302
12-09-2003, 04:44 AM
To actually address your question:

If your setup is running good for you (tuned/jetted correctly), and you ride in an area where sound isn't an issue, I don't see how this could be mechanically damaging to your quad. Most Hi po/race pipes dont actually create much (backpressure) at all, they are just straight through pipes w/ packing in the silencer around the flow of exhaust, absorbing sound waves, but not really restricting flow.

I don't see how this would damage your valves, or any other part of your engine.

I know that in many forms of automotive motorsport (also 4 stroke, albeit more cylenders) where no mufflers or restrictions of any kind are used in the exhaust.

:bandit:

UglyMotha™
12-09-2003, 07:40 AM
no you will not do any motor damage by running straight pipes

and please put your silencer back on that's so redneckish :rolleyes:

12-09-2003, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™

and please put your silencer back on that's so redneckish :rolleyes:

Yeah he's makin me look bad.

Hey Jackazz,,put your silencer back on.:mad:

dirtmomma
12-09-2003, 08:42 AM
Originally posted by JOEX

Joe

:eek: ;) LMAO HAHAHHAHAHA

OOOPPSS sorry got carried away LOL

coryatver
12-09-2003, 10:11 AM
Your valves will go

12-09-2003, 10:12 AM
buy a cobra....running just off the headers is just a little bit louder than this thing & they almost have the same tone of sound... :blah:

UglyMotha™
12-09-2003, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by coryatver
Your valves will go

no they won't that's only if you run no header then you goint to cause damage to the motor

pnut420
12-09-2003, 03:41 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
no they won't that's only if you run no header then you goint to cause damage to the motor

Depends, if you were running an HMF with no silencer for a long period of time, those valves are going to get hot, either way it is just stupid, sorry but it is :blah: . When you see racers running straight pipes, either the tubes on the headers are really long or their is some type of resinator in there. I was running shorty headers on my truck and my builder said to at least connect a pipe that is 2 feet long for some backpressure or my valves good get messed up, I not saying het its going to happen, but it could, running open headers on a stock quad is not going to have any benefits either, ut the silencer back on kid. :blah:

L.Vegas400
12-09-2003, 06:59 PM
running an open header will not dammage your valves. irragation engines(everything from a I-6 to a 502 big block) run open headers for weeks on end with no ill effect. why would your valves get hot? your exhaust is run through the pipe and out the end whether there is a full system or not. i can see no reason you cant, iff you look at most aftermarket silencers, they are larger than the header pipe anyway.

660r2a400ex
12-09-2003, 07:21 PM
hey guys, i put it back on...i wasn't going to run it long, just wanted to see what ya'll had to say, i think people who do that are idiots too. They do it all the time at the local drags. I just didnt get to finish putting my bike back the other nite so i rode it and home, put my silencer back on when i got home from school today. I hate noisy pipes b/c i spend most my time riding at night.

kenny
12-09-2003, 07:23 PM
damn thought you could ask the wrong question.these mofos are trippen.if you like it, run it. seems like it would be melting some plastic though.i agree with the guy that says that some of these aft mkt slipons dont provide backpressure anyways. dont start any fires.you probably get back pressure from the head pipe. ;)

pnut420
12-09-2003, 08:29 PM
Yeah the headpipes cause most the backpressure you guys are right. ;) .