PDA

View Full Version : New Elka Linkage. Is it worth it?

guedo
12-08-2003, 09:39 PM
Anybody have this set up on their 400 ex, Whats your opion?
Jeff, did you ever get any feedback?

remlapr
12-08-2003, 09:48 PM
Funny you should mention it. I have the one Pappy originally bought from Jeff awhile back. I finally got to try it out at the mid-south yesterday. I didn't have the shock dial-in at all, and I've never rode with anything but a stock rear, so I can't really give that much useful feedback other then that it sat too low for my PRM swing arm skid. I had to get some longer bolts and use washers as spacers and lower the skid about 1/2 inch so that it would clear. Easy fix, but I hate to give up ground clearence - that 1/2inch my have got me through some of those ruts I got stuck in yesterday LOL...

guedo
12-08-2003, 10:20 PM
yea, no doubt, giving up ground clearance definately is not good for xc. I have a stock swinger, I wonder if there would be a difference?

remlapr
12-08-2003, 10:33 PM
Yeah - I'm running a stock swinger with a PRM swing arm skid. Trust me - it don't fit.

cdalejef
12-09-2003, 07:22 AM
I have had a few people tell me that its unreal! They say that the rear follows everything instead of bouncing around.
As far as the rear skid, you can cut a hole in the skid so the linkage can drop far enough so you don't have to lower your skid. The linkage will not get tore up by rocks since its so thick, this is what Yokley did and he hasn't had any problems at all.
Here is a video of Yokley hammering through some sand whoops. A normal linkage will start swaping from side to side.

http://www.elkasuspension.com/files/TestSession.mov

12-09-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by Jeff@QuadShop
I have had a few people tell me that its unreal! They say that the rear follows everything instead of bouncing around.
As far as the rear skid, you can cut a hole in the skid so the linkage can drop far enough so you don't have to lower your skid. The linkage will not get tore up by rocks since its so thick, this is what Yokley did and he hasn't had any problems at all.
Here is a video of Yokley hammering through some sand whoops. A normal linkage will start swaping from side to side.

Has my LT kit showed up yet out there???:D

remlapr
12-09-2003, 07:57 AM

cut a hole in the skid and let the linkage hang down and bang off stuff :eek:

I think I'll give up the 1/2 inch, unlike Yokley I have to pay for my stuff from Elka LOL... I wonder if the new PRM Z skid would do any better :confused:

cdalejef
12-09-2003, 08:03 AM
Trust me, it won't hurt it at all!

12-09-2003, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by remlapr
cut a hole in the skid and let the linkage hang down and bang off stuff :eek:

I think I'll give up the 1/2 inch, unlike Yokely I have to pay for my stuff from Elka LOL... I wonder if the new PRM Z skid would do any better :confused:

We'll probably cut my skid so I'll give it a full test...:D If it does tear up I'll just sneak a new Linkage peice out the door when Jeffy isn't lookin...:devil:

Doibugu2
12-09-2003, 11:09 AM
I think I'll give up the 1/2 inch, unlike Yokely I have to pay for my stuff from Elka LOL... I wonder if the new PRM Z skid would do any better :confused:

I have the Z skid on mine, there is not a lot of room under there, so I would bet you would have to drop that down too.

Jeff how much are these?

kicker696
12-09-2003, 12:12 PM
how much are they, maybe i'll pick one up

guedo
12-09-2003, 05:51 PM
I have the Elka dual adj. dual rate ssd for the stock setup. This shock will work with the new linkage, correct?

remlapr
12-09-2003, 06:11 PM
yep - you just need new spring(s). I'm not sure if it's the ssd spring that you replace or the main or both....

user101
12-09-2003, 09:36 PM
yep - you just need new spring(s). I'm not sure if it's the ssd spring that you replace or the main or both....

can someone give me rough estimate of what this set-up costs. i have the rear ssd conversion on the stock shock and a burguard swinger. would i just have to add the linkage and get the springs on my shock replaced or do i have to get an entire new shock?????

remlapr
12-09-2003, 09:43 PM
It won't work with the revalved stocker. I didn't understand why at first, but I think I understand now. It puts the shock at a more vertical angle and I think the stocker will bind up against the linkage, where the elka is machined in a way that it will clear. Of course I didn't actually try it with the stocker, so I could be wrong about why - but I'm sure I remember Jeff or someone saying it wouldn't work with the revalved stocker...

gump
12-09-2003, 10:18 PM
i'm interrested in the linkage myself.. but i have a revalved stocker too, and can't afford a new shock.. is anyone running a the linkage on a stock z400 ???? knowing my luck it won't work

cdalejef
12-10-2003, 06:36 AM
Stock shocks will not work with the linkage kit. You must use the Elka shock.

Dave400ex
12-10-2003, 02:00 PM
Does anybody have any pictures of this setup?

remlapr
12-10-2003, 02:20 PM
I didn't take any pics before I put it on, sorry. Pappy may have some pics from where he had it before me though...

12-10-2003, 02:25 PM
look on elka's webpage...:blah:

k2-dawg
12-10-2003, 02:49 PM
I have an Elka Rear Shock. So how much does just the linkage cost?

jja125
12-10-2003, 03:00 PM
i have the same question as him. and if you have a dual rate ssd elka rear (from before they came out with their new linkage setup) will the new linkage work on it, or do you need a newer elka rear??

cdalejef
12-10-2003, 03:03 PM
Yes, they will work with any Elka rear shock with a spring change

remlapr
12-10-2003, 03:11 PM
Jeff - what's that in the pic with the shock. I hope it's not part of the new linkage - because I don't have that piece :confused:

cdalejef
12-10-2003, 03:22 PM
That pic is actually of Z400 linkage but it gives you an idea.

kyex40047
12-10-2003, 06:34 PM
Jeff do they make it for a 250r too?

cdalejef
12-10-2003, 06:35 PM
Not yet

Knips178
01-07-2004, 08:50 AM
But does anyone know where to buy this linkage and how much it is? How much to buy it and from where?

Knips178
01-07-2004, 09:04 AM
I called Elka and they told me the following:
The linkage only sits about a 1/4" lower than stock linkage, it will cost $199 for the linkage itself plus if you have SSD then you need the springs and spacer kit which will cost and additional $68 and after shipping charges a total of around $300! The shock stands more vertical hense the reason for the change of springs because the mounting point to the swingarm is pushed more towards the front of the quad which puts more leverage on the shock. It supposedly make the ride smoother and the tires stick to the ground more going through whoops and other small bumps as well as hooking up better out of turns. He said it adds about 2" of travel at the wheel.

Now does anyone actually have it and tried it? Does it make a big difference over a normal SSD Elka rear?

remlapr
01-07-2004, 09:57 AM
I have it. I can only compare it to the stock rear shock/linkage because that's what I had before going to the full Elka setup. I finally got mine adjusted where I wanted it and got to hit some rough stuff fast this past weekend and here are my thoughts:

There was a huge difference in bucking! Because the stocker would buck so bad, I’ve gotten used to immediately getting up off the seat when I hit any rough stuff and then just waiting for the seat to fly up and bang me in the ***** while I ride a nose wheelie and try to keep the bike under control. This no longer happened. It took me a minute to even realize what was going on, that the rear was actually staying on the ground. I then realized that I could actually stay on the seat more of the time and just let the rear suspension work under me instead of immediately getting off the seat and preparing for the rear to start bucking when I hit a rough section. I still need to spend more time getting used to it - but it's a huge improvement for me so far and I think it'll help me run harder through the rough stuff during races. I’m also thinking it’s going to help with fatigue during a race because I won’t have to fight with the bike so much.

O.K. - that's all I got, hopefully Rico can give a better review since he is going from the ssd setup to the new linkage.

ridered03
01-07-2004, 02:55 PM
how do i post a pic on here i cant find out how to get it on here????:mad:

ridered03
01-07-2004, 04:30 PM
can anyone tell me how to get a pic up??? I just got new elkas and the linkage but i cant get the pic up!!

Tommy 17
01-07-2004, 04:47 PM
heres the pic

ridered03
01-07-2004, 04:49 PM
thanks alot tommy!!!! you can say I am prepared these are awaiting the arival of my 450r on th 28th!!

remlapr
01-07-2004, 05:15 PM
Nice - so they already have the linkage available for the 450r? And are those fronts for the stock a-arms? They look really long

ridered03
01-07-2004, 05:17 PM
YEA THEY HAVE IT FOR THE 450 ALREADY, THEY ARE FOR +2 ARMS.

Rider#11
01-07-2004, 09:49 PM
ya the stuff looks good and the linkage should be worth it..saw em in person the other day..they look sharp. i race with mike(redride03) and i might do a lil motocross aside from TT with him and see how my 450 motor does..;)

01-08-2004, 08:31 AM

O.K. - that's all I got, hopefully Rico can give a better review since he is going from the ssd setup to the new linkage.

Still waitin...:o

Musta got lost in shipping..:(

Pappy
01-08-2004, 08:46 AM
ive seen the video of yokely riding with and without the z400 set up (which does the same thing on the 400ex) the rear end was planted after the linkage was installed. i have riden a z400 with this set up and you have almost no rear end swapping in studder bumps or ruff terrain. IMO...if you run an elka rear then its worth it.

Nausty
01-18-2004, 02:29 PM
i'm kinda anxious (spel?) to hear the comparison from regular linkage to elka linkage while having a elka shock for both of them.

01-18-2004, 03:50 PM
i may try this...i have elka shox already so all i would need is the linkage and the spring/spacers/etc...very interesting

01-18-2004, 05:25 PM
I believe my LT kit shipped from Elka on Friday so I'll be recieving it sometime this week. Myself and Jeff will be doing a full review on this new setup, from taking the rear shock off, the install of the new linkage and springs, reinstallation and a ride review. :cool: It'll be at least another 2 weeks before it's complete. :)

PS. There will be lots of pics..

01-18-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by Rico
I believe my LT kit shipped from Elka on Friday so I'll be recieving it sometime this week. Myself and Jeff will be doing a full review on this new setup, from taking the rear shock off, the install of the new linkage and springs, reinstallation and a ride review. :cool: It'll be at least another 2 weeks before it's complete. :)

PS. There will be lots of pics..

woot im waiting for this :D

mxracer89
01-18-2004, 05:43 PM
is this only good for xc or is it for mx to

01-18-2004, 05:46 PM
Originally posted by mxracer89
is this only good for xc or is it for mx to

its good for any type of racing pretty much

01-28-2004, 11:58 AM
I went out to the quadshop today at lunch and picked up the LT kit... Woooo Hooooo

I went ahead and swapped out the springs and crossover rings while I was there..

One thing that did surprise me is the rear shock is no longer an SSD setup when you go to the LT setup..

I'll be typing up the initial review and adding the pics to it on my way to texas and finishing the review on the way home after I get 2+ hours of ride time on it. My good buddy Jeff is gonna take the 416 out for a few runs during the practice on Friday to help dial in the compression and rebound. I'll probably have the full review with pics up on sunday night..:D

Doibugu2
01-28-2004, 12:03 PM
My good buddy Jeff is gonna take the 416 out for a few runs during the practice on Friday to help dial in the compression and rebound. I'll probably have the full review with pics up on sunday night..:D

Sounds like you suckered that guy Jeff into doing your work. I hope he don't crash it before the race!:eek:

Dave400ex
01-28-2004, 01:23 PM
I can't wait to read it!

cdalejef
01-28-2004, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
Sounds like you suckered that guy Jeff into doing your work. I hope he don't crash it before the race!:eek: I don't know if I can handle a pissed off quad or not. :(

Pappy
01-28-2004, 02:10 PM
highly pissed off:o

01-28-2004, 02:28 PM
I don't know if I can handle a pissed off quad or not. :(

I don't either but I got faith in ya buddy...:cool:

remlapr
01-28-2004, 04:02 PM
Rico - don't forget your going to have to space your skid plate lower or cut a hole in it for clearence :eek:

01-28-2004, 05:05 PM
Rico - don't forget your going to have to space your skid plate lower or cut a hole in it for clearence :eek:

I put 3 washers on both sides for now. Thanks for the heads up though.

I'll either be cutting the PRM or hookin up with badgerskid and letting him fabricate a skid that works with this LT setup.. We've already been in touch and will probably work something out..:D

Check out the travel on this mofo now. The back wheels are touching the ground and the fronts are too but just enough to were the wheels touch but spin with a little force.

Right at 11 3/4 inches up front and dam near 13 inches in the rear..
:eek2: :eek2:

Dave400ex
01-28-2004, 06:32 PM
Rico have you tried to see if the new PRM Z-Plate would work?

01-28-2004, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Dave400ex
Rico have you tried to see if the new PRM Z-Plate would work?

Nope, I don't think it would be the same since the suzuki has the big ugly block of a swingarm just like the old LT's...:o

The clearance issue between the skid and the linkage is 1/4 inch so it's really not that much. I could run the washers on there all year I think and it be just fine..:cool:

remlapr
01-28-2004, 06:45 PM
Did you just put them on the bottom two bolts Rico? I put a think 4 or 5 washers on all 4 using longer bolts. Mayble a little over kill. I think I'm going to order a Z plate soon just because I'm sick of trying to blast out all the mud that gets hung up in the current design.

01-28-2004, 06:59 PM
Did you just put them on the bottom two bolts Rico? I put a think 4 or 5 washers on all 4 using longer bolts. Mayble a little over kill. I think I'm going to order a Z plate soon just because I'm sick of trying to blast out all the mud that gets hung up in the current design.

The front of the skid is all you have to worry about. I put the same bolts in all 4 spots and put the 3 washers per side only in the front 2 holes. The 3 washers together measured just a little over 1/4 inch in thickness. I could pic the rear end up and drop it and I never heard a noise from the linkage hitting the skid. I used blue loctite on the bolts also to make sure they would hold good since I couldn't thread them in as far..:cool:

Tommy 17
01-28-2004, 07:03 PM
theres no way u can get SSD????

thats alot of travel!!!

remlapr
01-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Might want to stop at Home Depot and get some longer bolts. I used bolts that were quite a bit longer, but didn't have any locktite - bottom two bolts fell out 2nd ride. It also F*cked up one of the bolt holes in my swingarm :( I guess they rattle loose easier with the washers in there...

01-28-2004, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Tommy 17
theres no way u can get SSD????

I was surprised to see it didn't come with a SSD spring. IT is still dual rate but the top spring is much thicker than the standard SSD spring that comes on the shocks. The linkage is different from the stock linkage and that's were the difference comes in on not needing the SSD spring.

I have plenty of pics but i"m not going to post them until I do the review but there's a noticeable difference between the linkage bolt holes on the stocker and elka's..:cool:

01-28-2004, 07:10 PM
Might want to stop at Home Depot and get some longer bolts. I used bolts that were quite a bit longer, but didn't have any locktite - bottom two bolts fell out 2nd ride. It also F*cked up one of the holes in my swingarm :(

Stock swingarms are aluminum and they suck arse.. I stripped out 2 holes in my stocker. The houser swinger is much stronger and the threads won't strip out as easy.

MOUSE
01-28-2004, 07:30 PM
ok what about if your front shocks are ssd? will it make a difference with the rear no longer being ssd in the line of ride hieight?

01-28-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by MOUSE
ok what about if your front shocks are ssd? will it make a difference with the rear no longer being ssd in the line of ride hieight?

Honestly I don't know. My fronts are SSD and I have the Sag set to elka's recommendations and the frame is pretty even. Guess I'll be finding out this weekend.

Actually I'm probably gonna call Elka tomorrow and ask..:cool:

MOUSE
01-28-2004, 08:16 PM
Honestly I don't know. My fronts are SSD and I have the Sag set to elka's recommendations and the frame is pretty even. Guess I'll be finding out this weekend.

Actually I'm probably gonna call Elka tomorrow and ask..:cool:

im really looking forward to your review and pictures of this becuase since i first heard about this ive been thinking about doing it i just want to be sure that i wont regret losing the ssd of my rear elka and that there wont be any issues with the ssd of my fronts.

01-28-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by MOUSE
im really looking forward to your review and pictures of this becuase since i first heard about this ive been thinking about doing it i just want to be sure that i wont regret losing the ssd of my rear elka and that there wont be any issues with the ssd of my fronts.

well Yokley ran the SSD fronts and LT rear and it seemed to work pretty good for him. But I don't know if he has the triple rate rear with the dual springs like I got and the SSD up top.:confused:

cdalejef
01-29-2004, 06:49 AM
The new setup is still an SSD shock, its built into the linkage not the springs. You must run SSD front setup to make it work corectly.

MOUSE
01-29-2004, 09:34 AM
The new setup is still an SSD shock, its built into the linkage not the springs. You must run SSD front setup to make it work corectly.

thanks thats answers my major concern

01-29-2004, 10:36 AM
Yeah I guess I didn't word it correctly earlier. It's still an SSD shock but doesn't come with an SSD spring...:eek2: