PDA

View Full Version : Best place to bore stock carb??

Glamis400ex
12-08-2003, 08:55 PM
Well, since a 39FCR is still a bit outta my budget...Whos got the best place/price to bore a stock carb? Mickey? Gt Thunder, Sparks...? Will I notice a significant increase?? If it's only minor, I'll save my money.

Will I need to re jet after it's bored?

Glamis

Doibugu2
12-08-2003, 08:57 PM
I know Ugly went to Rocky Ridge to get his done. I believe he said it was $50 less than sparks.

cals400ex
12-08-2003, 09:14 PM
i think rocky ridge is around $125 vs $175 at sparks. i hear many people on here saying how great their stock bored carb is. the thing is, most people i talk to put other stuff on their bike at the same time, like cam, piston, etc. so, i have no idea how they think they know if a gain was significant or not. i think rico just go one bored not too long ago and he said he liked it. how much gain?? i have no clue. i, myself, will wait for the fcr before settleing for something less that i don't really want. check out the for sale forum. many, many items get put on that each day. i see fcr's for $350 quite a bit. however, that is still more than a bored stock carb but the gains should be greater too. if jetting changes with the bored stock carb, i bet its only a minor adjustment on the fuel skrew and a size on the main. i would just do a few plug chops and see if there needs to be jetting changes.

UglyMotha™
12-08-2003, 09:17 PM
ya these guys pretty much summed it up rocky ridge is goin to be your best bet for only 125 vs sparks at 175 for the exact same mod, i can't get give you how much of an increase your goin to see since i did quite abit to my motor along with it all at once rico put on just the carb he can give you the best review

12-09-2003, 04:05 PM
I got a decent power gain but I'm sure it would be much better with a vented or open airbox.

I'm having my head ported right now by GT thunder and I'm also buying one of his new intake mods. I think this will work great together for some good bottem to midrange grunt...:devil:

Here's a pic of the intake piece that you insert in a 2 inch hole in your airbox lid..

UglyMotha™
12-09-2003, 04:51 PM
you ain't goin to be doin anything with that like you did with your pipe are you :huh

Doibugu2
12-09-2003, 04:54 PM
Originally posted by Rico

Here's a pic of the intake piece that you insert in a 2 inch hole in your airbox lid..

Is it supposed to keep water out because of the lip?

UglyMotha™
12-09-2003, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2

lets hope thats not the only thing rico plans on keeping out of it :cool:

Doibugu2
12-09-2003, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
lets hope thats not the only thing rico plans on keeping out of it :cool:

You sure are a perverted individual. Asking about rico like that!:D

UglyMotha™
12-09-2003, 05:01 PM
http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/eyebrows.gif

12-09-2003, 06:16 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2

Somewhat, but it also lets water flow down past the filter to the bottom of the airbox. Seems like a good idea to me so i'm gonna try it out.:cool:

http://www.gtthunder.com/velocity_stack.jpg

Quadfather
12-09-2003, 07:21 PM
Anyone have Rocky Ridges phone # handy?

UglyMotha™
12-09-2003, 07:33 PM
270-259-9604 how handy was that

Quadfather
12-09-2003, 07:41 PM
Thanks Ugly

JOEX
12-09-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
270-259-9604 how handy was that
After reading this thread I don't want to know how handy you are!:o :D

cals400ex
12-11-2003, 12:02 AM
Somewhat, but it also lets water flow down past the filter to the bottom of the airbox. Seems like a good idea to me so i'm gonna try it out.:cool:

http://www.gtthunder.com/velocity_stack.jpg

i could be wrong, but wouldn't you think that the engine will be sucking hard enough to pull that water coming in through the air filter before it gets to the bottom of the air box?? well, i guess it depends if your on the gas or not.

JOEX
12-11-2003, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i could be wrong, but wouldn't you think that the engine will be sucking hard enough to pull that water coming in through the air filter before it gets to the bottom of the air box?? well, i guess it depends if your on the gas or not.
I was thinking the same thing, just wasn't able to put it in words.:p

Joe

12-11-2003, 06:33 AM
Laz at GT thunder told me several GNCC racers have been using this setup including himself I beleive and he hasn't had any problems. Now if you sink the mofo yeah, I'm not like most dummies that look for the deepest hole to ride thru. :rolleyes:

Well it's on the way so after I get it installed and run a few races this winter I'll let you girls know how it worked.:D I can tell you it'll work better than that half *** setup outwears has that you put in place of the lid...

cals400ex
12-11-2003, 03:15 PM
yeah, that outerwear set up does suck. i have one of those and its sits. i don't mean it sits on my airbox either. it sits on a shelf in my shed!!

foleyit
12-11-2003, 03:48 PM
I've had my stock carb modified. I didn't have my carb modified by either Curtis Sparks or GT Thunder. I was able to notice a nice difference in the throttle response. But I heard a lot of really nice things about the 39 FCR carb, and I can honestly say that it woke up the beast waiting to come out.

12-11-2003, 05:23 PM
I'd rather run a FCR but for what i paif for the modified stock carb compared to the FCR i saved over $400 or so...:eek2: :eek2: Maybe when my money tree starts growing again I'll get a FCR, but for now, suspension mods are on the top of my list..:cool:

foleyit
12-11-2003, 05:46 PM
I purchased my Works Triple Rate remote rervoirs from this person on eBay for just a bit over cost. You will save yourself a fortune. Let me know if you want the person's contact information. The guys runs his business out of his house, he is a rider just like ourselves.

Glamis400ex
12-11-2003, 08:16 PM
Give me his info, I'd like to see what he could do as far as a 39FCR...doesn't hurt to check ya know.

Glamis

UglyMotha™
12-11-2003, 08:35 PM
I'd rather run a FCR but for what i paif for the modified stock carb compared to the FCR i saved over $400 or so...:eek2: :eek2: Maybe when my money tree starts growing again I'll get a FCR, but for now, suspension mods are on the top of my list..:cool:

geeze rico, well since you don't feel like your suspension is up to par you feel like donatin what ya have :o