PDA

View Full Version : pond freezing

redgrizz
12-08-2003, 06:56 PM
hey guys when a pond frezes where is it thinker first in the middle or in the edge, i think its the middle peeps think it the edge, which is it, i thought i was right fromt rial and error but what do u guys think?

stepupmx
12-08-2003, 07:05 PM
Thicker on the edges.

redgrizz
12-08-2003, 07:08 PM
but how come the ice cracked on the edges of mine and my friends pond and not in the middle, sometiem it would break through on the edges

ktMan
12-08-2003, 07:08 PM
well im not sure, if you found out from trial and error you either never made it to the middle so you broke through the side's or you made it to the middle making the edges thicker and the middle not so thick!!! soo i dunno

redgrizz
12-08-2003, 07:18 PM
belive me we were in the middle we were runnin around on it and my pond but when we got to the sides they cracked

tclapp
12-08-2003, 08:27 PM
Yea every pond is goin to crack close to the edge cuz teh water is really shallow, so the ice cant be very thick....

flyin#5
12-08-2003, 08:34 PM
Originally posted by tclapp
Yea every pond is goin to crack close to the edge cuz teh water is really shallow, so the ice cant be very thick....

yep, there isnt as much water close to the sides... but they do freeze from outside to the middle.

PHIL_B54
12-08-2003, 08:36 PM
shallow water would freeze faster, and since it is shallow it would not be as thick as the center, so it would crack first. also when it warms up any melting water surrounding the pond would run to the edge first = melting the edges first. and dont forget the latent heat of fusion factor into it somewhere

hell i dont know...but it sounds good

12-08-2003, 09:00 PM
I just went ice fishin today mayn. Fun times comign UP for this winter is allls i got to say!!:devil: ANyways Ice is alot thinner on edges, the middle is alot thicker. Til about 20 feet out sometimes you cannot walk out on the ice but then you can walk on it fine and not fall through. I had lived out by the ice for all my life up until 2 years ago so trust me. I used to fall through, like really through on the edges with my fourwheeler but i was fine in the middle...

PHIL_B54
12-08-2003, 09:19 PM
i stand corrected

JUSTINcredible
12-08-2003, 09:21 PM
I just put my fish house out tonight on the lake, 8 inches right now so we pulled the fish house out there with my friends probe, its supposed to be quite a bit colder this whole week so by this weekend we should have close to a foot of ice

12-08-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by PHIL_B54
i stand corrected

its ok PHIL, you were close;) :D You dont hapeen to be Bam margera's dad are you?:confused: :devil: