PDA

View Full Version : ATV Sport Mag Rates the YFZ perfect

trx11t
12-08-2003, 02:26 PM
Just thought you guys might want to know the latest ATV Sport Magazine has a rating system for all the sport models and it gave the YFZ a perfect score. The TRX rated not so good in the Motocross and Desert sections.
It looks like the YFZ is #1 with the TRX #2 and the Polaris #3.

seatec
12-08-2003, 02:46 PM
TO set the record straight. Not so good still means it is a kick *** ride guys. and you know, this stuff is so biased its not even funny.
Dude, why do you post that here. you know some of em will throw a hissy fit and maybe for good reasons.

Doibugu2
12-08-2003, 02:51 PM
kind of odd since the trx just won that big desert race.:confused:

The opinions in those magazines are about as valuable as used tiolet paper.:huh

seatec
12-08-2003, 02:58 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
kind of odd since the trx just won that big desert race.:confused:

The opinions in those magazines are about as valuable as used tiolet paper.:huh

I do have to agree although winning the Baja1000 is a great accomplishment but doesn always mean its the best bike.

Doibugu2
12-08-2003, 03:44 PM
I agree as well, if you have the best riders in the world on a decent bike that doesn't break down, they have a good shot at winning.

I believe that the bikes are going to be very close, and just suit some riders better than others.

trx11t
12-08-2003, 09:55 PM
Sometimes you gotta take the bad with the good. If I were looking at buying one of these bikes I would want to have all the info.
Believe it or don't believe it, I could care less.
C-ya

ZSK
12-08-2003, 10:02 PM
This is how i look at atv magazines; atv mags are like playboys, everyone likes to look at the pictures and get a good laugh at the articles.

Woody_YFZ
12-08-2003, 11:08 PM
Do you have a link to the article by chance?? I'd like to read what they said and why. Either way the Honda will be a great bike.

VIC
12-09-2003, 12:07 AM
Originally posted by Woody_YFZ
Do you have a link to the article by chance?? I'd like to read what they said and why. Either way the Honda will be a great bike.
no article just ratings for all quads

kwatts400
12-09-2003, 12:32 AM
So, atv sport has actually done a full on test to it? I think thats news to everyone here.

r450rr
12-09-2003, 06:30 AM
i woudlnt beleive the mags either,,, cause thats just a few peoples opinions.. and when u get a few bias people together then it makes for a bad review,, a very bad review... it happens all the time..cant wait til it actually comes out that way i can see for myself..i just hope it holds its own through every gear,, then i will be happy

ATC83
12-09-2003, 07:00 AM
I read that article too. It didn't surprise me that the YFZ450 was rated better in motocross but I was surprised that they didn't give the TRX450 a perfect rating for duning. I didn't think anybody had ridden one the sand. Of coarse maybe they have and just haven't wrote about it yet. Of all the magazines I have always thought that ATV Sport gives a good unbiased review. I also saw in ATV Sport that Loren Duncan was saying that he thought Honda didn't think Yamaha was going to release a full on race quad like they did and they were really caught off gaurd. The good news is that I think the factories are going to work on making changes to these bikes every year like the motocross bikes.

12-09-2003, 07:15 AM
The bikes look so close on paper. I think having the transmission oil seperate from the engine oil is enough to make me get the Honda.:muscle:

BigAl
12-09-2003, 07:24 AM
TRX450R_Racer

That is a very good point.

Electric start was enough to steer me the other way.

raptor_02
12-09-2003, 02:56 PM
these two quads are going to be as close as the honda and yamaha motorcycles. You put Carmichael on a YZF and he would still be the man. Same way with the quads, you put Jeremiah Jones on the TRX or the YFZ I think he would still dominate

MIA450R
12-09-2003, 03:28 PM
That rating system is lame, and besides, they haven't done a full ride evaluation on the 450R, so how the heck can they rate it accurately...they can't. Even if they were at the Honda test ride in Texas, they cant make calls to the quads abilities in other ride environments.

I'm not taking away from the YFZ, I think it is a solid quad. But to dog the 450R before they've actually ridden it in all the various situations that they rated it on...

lukester720
12-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Your right mia just because I rode my friends yfz450 a month and a half ago doesn't mean I can give an accurate comparison if I rode the 450r right now. Also without riding them on the very same trails and tracks how can you give an honest evaluation. I'm not saying one is better than the other but that is definately no way to compare quads in my opionon.

12-09-2003, 04:09 PM
:( to bad honda didnt build the yfz and put there r and d into it

450rboy
12-09-2003, 05:58 PM
This is what i think. About the yfz450 and the trx450r. I have like honda all my life. At first i thought the yfz450 was gonna blow the 450r away. The when it won the baja 1000. It changed my mine. Maybe the 450r could beat the yfz450. But it should just depend on the rider because these are the 2 best quads i have ever saw. But out of it all i will pick the 450r because i say it is the best. And i like honda the best. But i don't have a problem with the yfz450. I just like honda better.

thank you

and also how can they rate the yfz450 and the trx450r when they didn't even vs. each other. cause alot could change. i say

trueblue450
12-09-2003, 08:30 PM
oh YEAH YFZ IS THE BEST HONDA SUCKS!!!!!

just joking..

but come on they cant say the r is sHieet what did they rate it, and on what scale.. they proabbly didnt even ride it :rolleyes:

jimbo45
12-09-2003, 09:09 PM
Man, the way eneryone is "bench racing" these two quads (TRX & YFZ), you'd think we were all racers at the pro level! Now I have just recently purchased a DVX-400 and really like it for my type of riding (mostly trails, some jumps and some snow riding this winter hopefully). My "race"days are probably over since its been seven years since I owned the TRX250R. I loved that quad and it was great. Things have changed now, and I don't need the fastest race quad anymore, but still have respect for the new 450R and would like to have one someday if funds permit.

Anyway, my opinion rides on the TRX being the quad to beat for next season. I would bet for myself, and most of the members here, both quads would be comparable. But, at the pro level, with all the mods, I am willing to bet the Honda will outnumber and be the most winning quad next year. Honda just has the best R&D for racing and look at the 250R. 17 years since it was designed, 14 since last produced, and it is still dominating races.

And as far as the stock vs. stock comparisons, who really cares. They are really close, and those racing them or competing with them in stock form are not going to be at experience levels high enough to notice the difference anyway. I think a lot of this "my brand's better" attitude and bragging is based on opinions of those who just have to have the fastest, most powerful quad from the factory. This really means diddly to you and me and absolutely will have no bearing on the pro circuit. The 450R will be the one to beat next year. Mark my words...

Sick0
12-11-2003, 09:53 AM
I can agree with the mag. The honda is not as race ready as the honda. It looks like you have to mod the honda a little more to get the is race ready. So stock for stock the yamaha is going to a better proferming quad than honda. But who on this board ain't going to mod the new yfz or 450r. I think once you get it up to racing level the two quads with be about equal. I respect both quads and would be happy with both. I bought the yfz and I'm very happy with it. One more thing you guys say the yamaha is some much more expencive. its like 400 dollors more. $00 dollars doesn't seam that much when I go out and have to spen 2000 dollars for a sat of good shocks and 800 plus for long travel a-arms.

r450rr
12-11-2003, 10:52 AM
at best there going to be the same,, basically just like the dirtbikes... u cant say that one is going to perform better than the other save those remarks for when the r comes out... whats on paper doesnt really matter...so lets just quit saying one is going to be better than the other. BECAUSE NONE OF US HAVE ANY CLUE......:confused:

Sick0
12-11-2003, 12:37 PM
in stock trim the yfz is a better preforming quad. And thats what they magazine testing. And if any thing the would be get the more biais towards the 450r. its newest and the hottest thing. plus its honda. I would think there only equal when you modify the two.

Crayfish
12-11-2003, 01:42 PM
SickO, you are totally contradicting yourself, re-read your posts. You say the Honda is less race ready than the yamaha, yet the honda won the Baja 1000 without any major modifications? Even beat the Alba YFZ that was all decked out. More to the point of this thread is how can the mags and you know which quad is more race ready when the honda is not out yet? Lets ride them side by side then decide which one is better, until that happens no one has a clue. You can say that on paper the yamaha looks better, but I want real information before I decide who gets my $$$.

lukester720
12-11-2003, 02:28 PM
I agree crayfish. Sicko says the mag tells the yfz to be the best in stock form while corey ellis's interview says the trx is better in stock form I wouldn't believe either one of them because neither one of them have rode these bikes on the same track or the same day! Timed averages on the same track with beginner, intermediate, and pro riders riding each will probably help to see which one is best for each individual.

MX#9
12-11-2003, 03:04 PM
This may be a long post but here it goes. Everyone taking crap about either quad, yfz guys are not going to back down,they like their quads, that's cool,I would to if I had one. 450r guys are sick of hearing it and feel like fighting about it, that's cool too. I like reading it. But just about everyone on these threads, whether they trick out a 450r or a yfz with 5 to 6 grand worth of mods, would get absolutley smoked by Farr,Gust,Jones,Ellis and about at least a half a dozen other pros,on a stone stock yfz or 450r.Same goes with the woods guys and you know it. As far as the magazines go, They ride new stuff all the time and they will again next year. You and I for the most part will have our machines 2-10 years. I say go with the one you think will last the test of time better. My expeirience says that will be a Honda. I have yet to see a magazine to a long term test on any model, you know like what broke the first year, what wore out rather quick, does the bike still feel solid and tight after 3-4 years. That is the kind of stuff I want to know. I could go on but I suck at typing so it takes me longer to vent and ramble than others. I'm done for now,Bye

Sick0
12-11-2003, 03:53 PM
It may sould a little like i contradicting myself. From what i've rode, seen,and read, the stock with no mods looks closer to a competion level quad than a bone stock 450r. So when you test them next to each in stock form yfz will do better in the test. You have mod the 450r a little more to get it up to par. But with a couple of more simple mods you have about the same level of quad. And Mostly talking about motor i geuss.

I can tell you this, I think the honda will have a smoother powerband and slightly better handling. I think the yfz will be faster but will be more of a handful. I love both my 400ex and yfz. If my 400ex was faster I wouldn't have never bought another quad.

PS I didn't read this artical. but I can see how they got test results.

r450rr
12-11-2003, 05:10 PM
NOONE CAN SAY THAT THE R IS BETTER OR THE YFZ IS FASTER BECAUSE YOU DONT KNOW YOU ARE LIEING TO YOURSELF IF YOU THINK U DO.,....I AM TIRED OF THIS... YOU CANT SAY THAT THE YFZ IS BETTER STOCK.. BECAUSE THE f###KING "R" ISNT EVEN OUT YET....OMG I HAVE NEVER IN MY LIFE HERD SO MUCH JUNIOR HIGH ANTICS.......PLEASE QUIT.. BECAUSE WE ALL HAVE NO IDEA SO NO ONES OPIINION MATTERS RIGHT NOW...

please just quit saying that the yfz is better stock,,

hell it is right now...but the r isnt even out so please dont talk about what you dont know...

putzld
12-11-2003, 05:26 PM
Does anyone know where in the world ATV Sport came up with that rating? They ddint even test the fourhweeler and yet they know how it stacks up against other fourwheelers? Seems just a tad suspect doesn it? I would be nice if they had to eat those words however.

Max400
12-11-2003, 05:40 PM
what it boils down to is if your a yamaha dude you'll buy yamaha!!
If your a Honda dude you'll buy a Honda!!!

This is the same old boring discusion like.Ford vs. Chevy....Harley vs. Indian......my Dad vs. your Dad !!!!

Can't we all just get along?????????

r450rr
12-11-2003, 06:23 PM
atv mags are biast...and i hate reading them because they lie so much,,

MX#9
12-12-2003, 06:47 AM
I read their ratings last night and it was an estimation in their buyers guide section. They had every square filled out for the yfz rating it the best in every category,mx racing,woods racing, trailriding,dunes and I think there was one other. In their OPINION the yfz was ,well,perfect. They have rode it and tested it and they like it, hell it is an amazing quad. The 450r was 1 square lower in 2 categorys, one was mx racing and I don't remember the other. This is their best GUESS. I really don't believe this rating system would change anyones mind, but people are fickle.

trx11t
12-13-2003, 12:29 AM
Listen guys don't kid yourself. All the magazines have done their shootouts by now. It takes so long for a magazine to go into print if they haven't done their shootouts by now then we wouldn't see them in their magazines for like 3 or 4 month's from now.
I'm sure they are putting the finishing touches on the magazines as we speak and we will see them in the next issue.
Since this buyers guide was such a simple rating system they could have easily dropped in the little ratings boxes at the last minute on the 450R.
I thought the YFZ would take a hit on the Trail portion of the ratings (hard seat etc.) but maybe the lack of electric start hurt the TRX. Just my guess. I think most people would agree the YFZ is a little more Race oriented so that makes sense.
I'm not sure why the TRX lost the desert portion though. The only thing I can speculate is that it may be slightly slower or the suspension doesn't work quite as well.
Just trying to think like they would think.
And I don't believe this Bias crap everyone is saying either. Have you ever heard of Honda being on the short end of that stick? I sure haven't.

r450rr
12-13-2003, 08:24 AM
yea i am sorry to say it guys but the magazines are biast... especially on sport and racing oriented quads.... i have read so much crap over the years about something being the greatest thing ever and there just basically lieing to you.....heck about half the time i can look through one an point out mistakes.. and most of the time the mistakes are on the very important part like the specs.....they are... thats all they talk about is how bad the 400ex compared to ever other quad and how is has so much less power than the z400 when the truth is it really doesnt... it is slower but the way they talk about it the z400 can outrun it in 2nd gear and i hate that,,

450rboy
12-16-2003, 06:44 PM
i say this time and i think........the 450r is better in the cross country racing but i think the honda isn't as good as the yfz450 on the mx track but all my hopes run on the 450r but i ain't sure on ne thing so far........just go to www.********.com and let that rider tell what he though of it.........he said he would pick the yfz450 over the 450r

MX#9
12-17-2003, 07:34 AM
Another guy on ********.com said he would buy the 450r. He said as for me I'll be riding red.