PDA

View Full Version : 400ex cooling idea

turnandburn
12-08-2003, 02:23 PM
I have read alot of the post on temps and such and was thinking, most of the ideas have to do with air flow to cool the oil down. So i got to thinking if you have a bigger oil cooler and find a small automotive electric fan that will fit the cooler. then you could install it behind the cooler directly some auto cooler kit include a zip tie style fastener to attach it to the radiator,use this to attach it to the cooler. Then run a good chassie ground and then use the head light switch as the fan control, high,low and on, off. May not work well for trail riding do to water intrusion. Just a thought have not made a prototype yet.

Aceman
12-08-2003, 02:28 PM
I think if you do a search you will find a thread about using a fan on an oil cooler. I've read something about this somewhere on the site.

turnandburn
12-08-2003, 02:31 PM
I didnt know if thier was or not just brainstorming.

Dunlap
12-08-2003, 03:30 PM
I ran a 9 inch fan on are 500ex and it cooled it another 40* but it was not necessary and the dirt & water killed anyway.

turnandburn
12-08-2003, 03:46 PM
mickey do you have a web site up yet or do i need to call for motor building info and prices. Thanks for your time!

Varmit57
12-08-2003, 04:01 PM
I used a 92mm high output fan from a computer moding site and it worked great.

They are 12v and put out about 100cfm I washed the quad every week and it lasted for the season.

Here is a link (http://www.plycon.com/fans/tornado92.htm)

P.S. If you use a PC fan that has 3 wires don't use the bule or yellow(they are for speed sensors).

Dunlap
12-08-2003, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by turnandburn
mickey do you have a web site up yet or do i need to call for motor building info and prices. Thanks for your time!

No website anymore,just call.

j4rdemotox
12-09-2003, 01:23 PM
Did you mount the fan behind the oil cooler to help pull air thru or in font of the oil cooler?

hondafox440
12-09-2003, 04:45 PM
I have heard of people using high output (55cfm+) PC fans as additional cooling on liquid cooled thumper dirtbikes like XR650Rs. That fan that Varmit57 used is very similar to the ones I mean. Give it a shot, if it blows its not that expensive to replace.

Varmit57
12-09-2003, 09:17 PM
I put it behind, seemed to help keep it cleaner.

400exdad
12-10-2003, 06:47 AM
I've been using 2 computer fans on my cooler for about a year now. So far, they've endured the abuse. If they don't, I think I have 10 more! :) I bought a case of them for like $18 on ebay! As for temps, I can feel the heat being removed by the fans, but I've never had a gauge on it.

turnandburn
12-10-2003, 03:22 PM
i thought those would work also. are you using any other type of colling aid like scoops?

400exdad
12-12-2003, 06:26 AM
I do have scoops on mine.

F-16Guy
12-12-2003, 07:10 AM
Are you guys using a thermostat to turn the fan on/off, or a toggle, or is it just on when you turn the key on?

QuadMatt
12-12-2003, 02:21 PM
The thing with a fan is this: a fan is only necessary when you are not moving or moving very slowly. In riding terms, its good for creepin in the woods where you dont get air thru the cooler.
If you are riding at any speed above 10mph, a fan is not providing any cooling.

Here's what i have been thinkin about and I think I saw it once (in a picture).

What if.....you completely removed the oil can/resevoir and stock cooler, and replaced with one really big cooler. A cooler that has the same overall oil capacity as the stock can/cooler. I have looked for coolers that might work but have not found an"of the shelf" one that will work well.
I found one that is close, but i guess i cant post a pic.

Anyway, im open to feedback

400exdad
12-12-2003, 03:52 PM
Mine runs with the key on. I'm hesitant to add any coolers that may be susceptable to damage by trees branches and stuff. We run tight wooded trails. The battery drain or electrical demand for the computer fans is negligable. Now, if you were going to try to mount a "real" fan, you may want to run a t-stat... of course getting it set right may be a booger. :)

desratt
12-13-2003, 12:26 AM
i have a trinity 465 i use the pingry's oil tank( i have seen this same one under different names.it's the 1 quart over with air tubes in it to aid in cooling) and i use a dezert toys oil cooler. the oil cooler has a much larger capacity then stock. for just a or anything smaller i would just put one or the other. no need to over kill.

400exdad
12-13-2003, 09:17 AM
Ratt, I like the 'toys oil cooler. It would be my choice if I were to buy one. As a matter of fact, I'm keeping my eye on the pricing! :)

Out_Sider
12-13-2003, 09:55 AM
my neighbors polaris trailboss 325 has an oil cooler and a fan behind it from the factory...i was thinkin about doin this myself when i get my oil cooler