PDA

View Full Version : 2 stroke gurus....

mikeman828
12-08-2003, 05:24 AM
Hey all you 2-stroke gurus, I have a couple of question....

My son has an Eton 90 2 stroke oil-injected electric start quad.
The problem is it keeps fouling plugs !!!!! I put a new plug in it, we ride and the next time we try to start it, it won't fire up. It ends up draining the battery trying to start. When I pull the plug, it's all fouled.

1. Is there any suggestions for fixing this?? (It's a 2001, so I don't think it's time for a rebuild yet...)

2. Does anyone know a way to clean fouled plugs so you can reuse them?? I hate to keep buying new plugs....

Any help would be ideal!!! Thanks

YZROOSTINYA
12-08-2003, 07:51 AM
there might be a adjuster on the actuall oil injecter unit that will either richen or lean the oil jet. Make sure you air filter is clean and your muffler is not all spooged up with oil.

You may try running a hotter plug. But I would only go up one size and I woud be careful of this also. Your jettting could be off on the carb too. Does he piss around on the thing all day or ride it wide open?

If i were you every hour or so he rides it, get on it and run it wide open for a couple passes. It might be getting gunked up inside and needs a couple good runs to get it hot and all cleared out.

I have never foulded a plug on any of my two strokes. Well omce but my buddy was riding it.

It is hard to clean a fouled plug as the insulator becomes saturated witj oil/carbon and causes the plug to short circuit/foulf.

steel wool or a wire wheel. just make sure you get off all the metal filings

300exOH
12-08-2003, 08:08 AM
I'm with yzroostinya on this one. You may need adjust the oil injection. A manual would have the best step by step instructions. I would check everything else before resorting to the hotter plug. I would toos a new plug in it a ride it yourself for a half hour or so and see how it does. If you aren't putting around it shouldn't foul out. Good luck

mikeman828
12-08-2003, 09:29 AM
When he rides he does ride pretty wide open.....for a 9 yr old anyway. I usually fire it up every once in a while just to keep it burning as clean as possible.

I never had any fouled plugs when I rode my 'R' , I always cleaned it out when I was riding/idleing.... his is different because it is an automatic so unless you jack up the rear end you can't idle and clean it out...... kinda sucks!!

I will look into the injector adj., I didn't even think of that. The filter is clean, I just overhauled that this past summer....

Thanks for the tips...

:D

2004TRX450R
12-08-2003, 10:23 AM
you may need to adjust your jetting. It should never load up and foul if the jetting is right weather it is being putted around on or ridden wide open. Try turning the air screw out a half a turn or so. Is this a problem that has just started or has it been a problem for awhile? It may be changeing due to weather conditions. The only good way to clean a plug is with a bead blaster. You can't get all the way down the sides of the porciline with a wire brush or wheel.

Colby@C&DRacing
12-08-2003, 10:32 AM
I work on alot of the two stroke minis here. You need to adjust the cable that goes to the oil injector you are getting to much oil. Also in the winter time you need to put a larger pilot jet in the carb they will start alot better, The eletric choke on those is a joke for winter starts.

300exOH
12-08-2003, 10:37 AM
They have the electric choke? our scrambler 90 has a manual choke and it works good. The kids rode it in the snow for the first time yesterday.:D

Colby is there anything that can be done to get a little more performance out of the minis just by upgrading the clutches?

Colby@C&DRacing
12-08-2003, 11:12 AM
Ya you can modify the clutch add a tuned pipe, bigger carb,I have a big bore cylinder kit with revised porting for those motors. You can get pretty good performance out of those machine with a little work.

300exOH
12-08-2003, 11:38 AM
I was thinking about doing a pipe and clutch kit soon. Is there a good solution for the airbox/filter setup that works well for trail riding? The only thing I've seen so far is a K&N with an Outerware but I'm not too sure about having an open filter down that low for trails.