PDA

View Full Version : Rev Boxes & Degree Keys...all info is appreciated

660r2a400ex
12-07-2003, 08:13 PM
i am looking at the degree keys for my 400ex, is it going to make it that much faster...can i install it in a couple of hours? Also need info on rev boxes. white brothers and big guns rev boxes are supposely messing up the way the 400ex's start, i dont want that. what about the curtis sparks design, any body know anything bout this or LRD looks different, is theres any good, looking to get maybe 2-3 mph more on the top end, more power with a passenger, will these two parts together give me a boost, if so how much? please send me some feed back, christmas is getting closer. By The Way my bike now is all stock.

12-07-2003, 08:16 PM
degree key? thats the sparks timing key right? as for the rev box...you wont gain any power with that...it will let u rev out more and change your power curve a little bit...but that wouldnt really help you if all your gonna buy is the degree key...and as for the degree key...if thats what sparks sells...then that has a nice gain on the low end and lets you rev out much faster...its a nice thing to have if your looking for a low end pull and quick revs

Bad Habit
12-07-2003, 08:31 PM
I have the Sparks CDI and their 6deg key. The box will make it harder to start just like everyone else's. If your battery isn't at a 100% charge, it is a sum ****** to start.

The key gives you better throttle response, nothing more. You will not see any top end increase whatsoever with either of these mods.

lefthander
12-07-2003, 08:55 PM
I've got both, the key and the box. I can honestly say I didn't FEEL any huge difference! I do know I can rev it higher. If there is any difference its in throtle responce. Because the key advances the timing, ignition responce is earlier, hince a "snappy throtle" As for power, well its gotta give a small increase on the low end and maybe a small decrease on the top end. The rev box is nice because you can go longer in each gear. My ex loves RPM's, Keep her wound up and it moves nicely. If your looking for more top speed with little cost, consider rear gear change or taller tire.this will give you more top speed. I also noticed an increase in top speed when I installed my dyno-jet kit with filter. I like tinkering and I've become quite acustomed to tuning my carb.(thanks to some info from this site.) I noticed tuning the carb to the conditions is the biggest gain ! (On a mostly stock EX)
The key will take 20 to 30 minutes (Unsure of your mechanical skills?) The rev box is a 2 or 3 minute add on. Jetting the carb,
I'd read some past threads and get a 400 ex manual. Then its
prob a 20 to 30 minute job too. Once you figure out what your doing its less than 5 minutes to adjust/change. (with proper tools) The rear gear is a 15 to 20 minute job and you want to go
to smaller rear gear. Stock is 38 tooth go to 37 or 36.Its just the
opposite if you want to be quicker.

I have a need for more speed as well. I ride with bigger bikes and feel slow. I'm gonna go higher on compression and change
the cam. Then i'll think about some head work.

Hope this gives you some ideas?

660r2a400ex
12-07-2003, 09:15 PM
yess.. all these ideas and info are great keep them coming...thanks