PDA

View Full Version : any ice racers?

Leo
07-26-2001, 07:54 PM
Any ice racers out there (funny question in the middle of the summer, eh?)...

Looking for setup tips/ideas/hints for this winters racing season. I know studded ice tires are a must, I also plan on adding a durablue lowering kit to the front + rear, along with a swaybar for the front. Any other must haves or helpfull hints on machine/suspension setup?

Leo

wyndzer
07-26-2001, 09:04 PM
Leo I race TT so setup is about the same as for ice I assume. I put the Durablue rear adjustable strut under my bike.(Makes it easy to return to stock height). Up front I bought some used Banshee shocks, they work better than the lowering kit with stock shocks. You will need to file the top of the shock to fit in the ex mount. As for the swaybar get a Durablue, more expensive but better quality than Rands or Lonestar.

Leo
07-26-2001, 09:18 PM
I was planning on the durablue adjustable strut.. You can adjust it back to factory height without actually removing it right?

As far as the front I was just going to use the durablue lowering brackets, I know there not the best setup in the world, but for relatively flat ice racing I'm assuming they would be OK?

I'm also looking at the durbablue swaybar, while at the races last year it looked to be far superior to the other ones I saw (unless I find some ambition and make one).

Thanks for the tips.

Leo

stevengates45
07-27-2001, 03:18 PM
So you plannin to race ice Leo? I have never seen this, could ya send some pics if ya do??

Leo
07-27-2001, 05:32 PM
sure will, they actually have like a 6 race series in here.. great turnout last year, we went and watched a few races and decided that we had to try it :devil

Leo

stevengates45
07-27-2001, 05:53 PM
So, this is drag racing, or what??

4punksdad
07-27-2001, 09:38 PM
ice racing is normally an oval on a frozen lake. :blah

Leo
07-27-2001, 09:44 PM
the races up here they typically set up two tracks, one is roughly a 1/2 mile oval, the other is more like a road race type course (both left and right hand corners) and much longer.. both look like a blast :devil

Leo

400exRacerX
07-31-2001, 10:08 PM
hey leo, one extremely helpful tip of advice for ice racing. is i would definatly buy the tire studs now and buy alot of them, because in the winter no matter how many places you go to they are all sold out of them. what happened to me last year is i lost studs on my tires and replaced them and then i lost some more, so on an so on, i ran out of studs and lost a noticeable amount of traction. just my 2 cents.

Leo
08-01-2001, 05:06 AM
I ran into the same problem last year.. Tried to get my tires / studs like 2 weeks before the races... ha!

I'm trying to get everything ready now, so I won't have that problem this year :)

Thanks for the tip.

Leo

Winged Warrior
08-02-2001, 09:12 PM
Sounds fast and dangerous!:eek:

LEE314EX
08-15-2001, 08:40 PM
well its not offical racing but every winter me my dad and his riding group race down a frozen creek. It is so much fun the creek twists and turns and u have to watch out for logs and rocks but its a blast. our setup is just to put sheet metal screws in the tires and go... screw in tires is a must if u want to keep up. thats all i gots to say