PDA

View Full Version : How to get toe in and out set perfect.

bandit390
12-07-2003, 06:12 PM
I just replaced both tie rods ( just the 2 rods) The were both bent. Now that I have both in, how do I set my toe in and out perfect.

Do I screw in the rod at both ends at the same time? Or screw one side in before and start the other at a later time?

What do you suggest?

My manual just said to have 6.5mm of threads showing at each in the rods. I did that and it didn't look right. After I messed with it a little more. I took it down the road. It goes straight, but when I let both hands off the handle bar. The bar shakes a little left to right. The bike still goes in a straight line, but it shakes some.

This is on a 400ex

T.Hopp
12-07-2003, 07:29 PM
This is what I did and it seemed to work fine. Start with the rod ends completely turned on the rods. While sitting on your quad; center your hadlebars. Get off of the quad making sure you don't move the bars.( The next step you can make due w/ whatever is available to you.) Now place a cinder block in front and off to the side of each front wheel. Place two more blocks to the back and to the sides of each rear wheel. Use a board to run the lenght of your quad and set them on the blocks. Push the board against the sidewall of the rear wheel. You are going to align the front wheel so that it is parallel to the board ,that you made parallel to the rear wheel.( Note: you will notice that the front wheels are running out towards the board on both sides of the quad.) Turn the tie rod w/ a wrench until the front wheel runs parallel w/ the boards. Do this for both front wheels and it should have you going straight without shaking. If it doesn't run straight after this, check for equal air pressure in the wheels. Hopefully this gets you in the right direction.

Narly R
12-07-2003, 08:32 PM
My lonestar setting say have 1/8th inch toe-in. Do you need any help on Camber or Caster?

bandit390
12-07-2003, 08:39 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
My lonestar setting say have 1/8th inch toe-in. Do you need any help on Camber or Caster?

I didn't mess with the camber or castor. All I did was replace the bent rods. So I think I wouldn't need to adjust the camber or castor?

What do you mean by 1/8th inch toe in?

JOEX
12-07-2003, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by bandit390
I didn't mess with the camber or castor. All I did was replace the bent rods. So I think I wouldn't need to adjust the camber or castor?

What do you mean by 1/8th inch toe in?
Camber and caster are not adjustable on stock a-arms.

Joe

f1502nv
12-08-2003, 01:10 AM
ok so how do you do the caster and camber?

Narly R
12-08-2003, 08:12 PM
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82637

I explained how to do Camber and Caster. I think toe-end too. 1/8th in. to in means that the front tires bearly point inward 1/8th inch.

Chef
12-08-2003, 08:27 PM
I set my toe in with string and 4 jack stands. You do it like you would the board and cinder blocks. Place jack stands at all four corners of the quad, and run the string around. You will need to hang something with a little bit of weight in the back of the quad on the string that goes across to keep it tight (I use either wire cutters or scissors) Now the object is to line the string up parallel to the rear tires on both sides. You can do this by measuring from the sidewall to the string on both ends of the tire. Make sure you do it on the same part of the sidewall both times so that you get an accurate measurement. You're going to have to move the front jackstand to change the angle of the string. Make sure you keep the string tight. Now move to the front. Make sure your handle bars are straight, and measure. You will have to measure both ends of the tire again, and the difference in these two is your toe in/toe out. A lesser number in the front of the tire and a larger in the back of the tire means you are toed out. The opposite for toe in. The best way to set the toe is at 0, straight up. Thats how I have found it works the best. If you are a racer, and want to have the best control under braking, have someone compress your front suspension down, and it set it to straight up while its compressed. The bump steer will change the toe in/toe out considerably.

1/8th of an inch for toe in seems extreme to me. :eek:

Woodsrider
12-08-2003, 08:28 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=82637

I explained how to do Camber and Caster. I think toe-end too. 1/8th in. to in means that the front tires bearly point inward 1/8th inch.

Is this "total toe in" or 1/8th in on each side for a total toe in of 1/4 inch?

f1502nv
12-08-2003, 08:41 PM
whats wrong narly r didnt want to rewrite that whole thing................lazy..............just kidden...............thankx alot......will help out alot!!!!!!

Narly R
12-08-2003, 08:51 PM
You are welcome. I just eyeball it. Prolly not the best thing but I do that...:ermm:

JOEX
12-08-2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Is this "total toe in" or 1/8th in on each side for a total toe in of 1/4 inch?
The manual says 15-17mm (0.6-0.7 in.) I belive that is overall?
Meaningthe space betwween the front of the tires should be 15-17mm narrower than the back of the front tires.

Joe