PDA

View Full Version : Good Mechanics

02-15-2002, 11:16 AM
I was wondering how you all became such good mechanics? Is it experiance, or did you learn from someone? I've been thinking of takeing some mail order classes on how to be an atv machanic, but they cost something like $600. So what do you think is the best way to learn?:confused:

RideRed04
02-15-2002, 11:46 AM
I took the mail order course, it was very good. I got a set of craftsman tools with it too. I think mine was real close to $800. Experience is best, you can read how to do something all day, and not be able to do it. Get an old beater dirt bike for $100 and tear it down, fix it up, etc.

MOFO
02-15-2002, 01:22 PM
I learned by having a good understanding of the internal combustion engine. Then as I got older, I started tearing into smaller engines and playing around with them. If you have a good head on your shoulders, good set of tools and the proper manual...you should be able to do anything.

I'm sure there are some websites out there that explain in detail how the internal combustion engine works. This would be a good start. I would try that website called something like www.howstuffworks.com

Eric

knighttime
02-15-2002, 03:02 PM
Take your time, have the proper tools, have good work area, buy the best manual possible, and keep plenty of cold Budweiser on hand. Last tip meant for those 21 or over, and only to be attempted by a trained professional, lol.