PDA

View Full Version : Install big bore myseld or get a new one installed for more $$$????

400exbiggun
12-07-2003, 04:10 PM
well in my tecate, i want a 300 big bore, just the sleeve, piston, rings...etc

I can get a entire cylinder and stuff for $500, but my cylinder as a core charge and i have to install it myself, or get a different kit for $625 they install it in my motor, and do minor porting and have a 1 YEAR WARRENTY :D
but with that i would have to ship it, and i typed it in in USPS and guessing that my motor is around 60lbs in a wooden crate...they said only $29.81 for shipping...dont that seem cheap?:huh

anyway, i can install a topend, i just put one in the tecate, although i havent had time to really ride it yet, but in spending all that cash i might want to get it professionally installed...what would you do, should i opt for the extra $125 and be sure it will be right?

cheetah
12-07-2003, 04:33 PM
yeah especially with a one year warranty

400exbiggun
12-07-2003, 04:34 PM
thanks, yeah that is what i was thinking...by the way what do you guys think a motor like thats weight is? roughly...or like what does a ex motor weigh?

Tommy 17
12-07-2003, 05:06 PM
theres a big differnce between a tecette and a 400ex top end... the 2 stroke kawi is alot simpler then the complicated 400ex 4 stroke top end... the tecotte u didn't have cam, valves, timing chain, etc;)

myself i can do a 2 stroke easy... i would never think bout a 4 stroke...

hondafox440
12-07-2003, 05:38 PM
I say do it yourself. That 300 shouldn't be run for a year on the same top end, so I wouldn't be too concerned about the warranty.

Narly R
12-07-2003, 05:53 PM
If you KNOW how to do it, then do it youself. I rebuilt my hole engine w/ sum help, and saved a poo load of money, and not having any problems. If its a good kit, and you put it together right, you shouldnt have to worry about any 1 year warrenty. BUT if you are questionable about some things prolly be best to send it away. Its not that hard though.

TheRedRebel17
12-07-2003, 06:50 PM
Ive rebuilt both.....did it myself except for the boring/honeing part :cool:

12-07-2003, 08:57 PM
you should just buy are tecate, has a 300 big bore , fmf pipe and silecner, stator re done, whole motor rebuilt, durablue axle, dg nerfs, tether kill, cr high bars, new oem plastic, no longer available, 18 in holeshots on douglas 190s prm grab bar etc

400exbiggun
12-08-2003, 05:26 AM
i already have the tecate...:macho

yeah i know how to rebuild a topend...i can do a blaster topend so easily...i have done it so often.

Now with his warrenty though it dosent mean if i run too lean and it seizes that he pays...it means that if like a ring snaps cause it was in wrong then he pays.

IM not really too sure yet...and you think that the topend wont last a yr...i was at least hoping to have it in, then use it till the season is over then rebuild or poss postpone it awhile longer:confused:

oh and i would NEVER attempt a 4-stroke topend...lol...i have no clue with them.

Well i just put in the tecate topend...if this dosent seize...lol...i guess i did it right so i might install the 300
oh and that 1 kit they r sending me a entire cylinder so there is no down time on the tecate, but my cylinder is the core fee when i get it running

12-08-2003, 04:39 PM
if i was you id push it off the cliff save yourself some headaches:eek:

id honestly rather have a 300ex