PDA

View Full Version : Denton Steering Stablizer...long term review...

rivermobster
12-06-2003, 07:47 PM
In a nutshell...

WHAT A POS!!!

Ive had this thing since July 03...less than 6 months and it is totaly shot. No resistance whatsoever! The rebuild kids have been on backorder for over 3 months...and the best Denton Racing had to offer was to SELL me another one for a discounted price!!! Great service eh? Personally... think they should replace the damm thing for free! But i guess customer service isnt all that much of a priority on their to-do list. <_< Not only does Denton Racing's service suck...so do their products. :angry: I have to admit...i was told on a different forum NOT to buy one. That it was a POS and a waste of money. I guess i shoulda listened.

I still belive a steering stablizer is one of the best investments you can make to your quad...but...save your money and get a real one!!!

Scotts Performance (http://scottsperformance.com/indexmain.html) is what i will get ASAP. Three way adjustable...fits every bike out there...and is used by almost every Baja racer alive.

So what ever you do...DONT BUY FROM DENTON!!!

norrisboat
12-06-2003, 07:50 PM
Thanks for the tip. Your too late though. I just bought the 7 click adjustable one. Bought it off of ebay because denton is out of steering stabilizers. Which one did you have?

12-06-2003, 08:01 PM
i just got one of here too for $45 shipped...I should have it next week...I wonder if he solod it to me cause it need a rebuild or something? i hope not..i was really excited about getting it. :(

rivermobster
12-06-2003, 08:09 PM
The rebuildable one...worked great for about 3 months...and then it started goin south. I shoulda known better when i saw the exact same one bein sold under a few other different names! Same junk...different sticker on it. :grr:

Silverfox@C&DRacing
12-06-2003, 08:15 PM
I have a muscle dampner on my bike and colby has the Denton on his, mine is a year old and Colbys 9 months old no problems with either of them. I checked a couple of weeks ago and the rebuild kit was in stock. sorry to hear about your bad experience with the product.

Admin
12-06-2003, 08:17 PM
I actually have been using the Denton Stabilizers for over 3 years.

Yes, they need to be rebuilt after heavy use just like shocks. I normally rebuild mine every year. I had one get a bad seal in it after only a few months but, I did race several very muddy races and mud causes wear. The rebuild kits are around 20-30 dollars and they are pretty easy to do. It takes me about hour to do it.

I personally found it to be of great value. Considering I could replace replace three of them for about the price of a more expensive setup.

toby400ex
12-06-2003, 08:23 PM
I imagine most have to be rebuilt just as much. Even though i only got about 7 or 8 miles of a race in on mine i think it did pretty well at wearing out my arms, but it didnt hurt when i hit that tree.

12-06-2003, 09:00 PM
yah..this si the first bad post iv'e seen about them...maybe you just got a bad apple....I feel like iv'e gotten a good deal at $45 shipped so even if it doesn need a rebuild kit I wont cry over it :blah:

bmw500hp
12-07-2003, 02:07 PM
Originally posted by rivermobster
In a nutshell...

WHAT A POS!!!

Ive had this thing since July 03...less than 6 months and it is totaly shot. No resistance whatsoever! The rebuild kids have been on backorder for over 3 months...and the best Denton Racing had to offer was to SELL me another one for a discounted price!!! Great service eh? Personally... think they should replace the damm thing for free! But i guess customer service isnt all that much of a priority on their to-do list. <_< Not only does Denton Racing's service suck...so do their products. :angry: I have to admit...i was told on a different forum NOT to buy one. That it was a POS and a waste of money. I guess i shoulda listened.

I still belive a steering stablizer is one of the best investments you can make to your quad...but...save your money and get a real one!!!

Scotts Performance (http://scottsperformance.com/indexmain.html) is what i will get ASAP. Three way adjustable...fits every bike out there...and is used by almost every Baja racer alive.

So what ever you do...DONT BUY FROM DENTON!!!

While it's true that the very same stabilizer is private labeled by probably 1/2 a dozen companies, and it's essentially a dollar part.

You might be surprised to know that many of your ex parts are manufactured by the very same vendors that supply there specialties to a variety of manufacturers. Japanese manufacturing history is based on long term specialization in a given area by a few key vendors. This is one of the reasons the Japanese automobiles remain reliable.

The Scott stabilizer is certainly in another class. It's design favors the GPS style and is much more invoved. One would be inclined to assume it's quality and performance is far and away from a typical in-line style dampner of any branding.

You don't see that many of the scotts around on ex's. Looks like fine choice on your part. Keep everyone informed on how you like your new Scott.

Dave400ex
12-07-2003, 03:51 PM
I've had my Denton for over a year with no problems yet. I think it was a great buy and would buy another one. Now I also think the Scotts, WER, or GPR would be much better.

Live2Ride300
12-07-2003, 06:19 PM
The scotts, gpr etc, are a different kind of damper tho, arent they? They are handlebar mounted?

400exBro
12-07-2003, 07:00 PM
what about the pep?

norrisboat
12-07-2003, 07:41 PM
The pep one is a good one. I had that but if you go with an aftermarket oil reservior it no longer fits. Thats why I am switching to the denton. It mounts in a different location.

Braff1
12-07-2003, 09:07 PM
When I ordered my Denton for my predator they sent the wrong steering stem clamp. I called them and they overnighted me a new one (which was nice) well, it was still the wrong one again... so I took it to a machine shop and had them mill it to fit. I have been happy with my damper but I would have appreciatied that they respond to my letters and emails about the ordeal.

beyer05
12-08-2003, 03:20 AM
I thought the denton's were non-rebuildable??

Meek
12-08-2003, 04:41 AM
Originally posted by beyer05
I thought the denton's were non-rebuildable??
Thay have one that is and one that is not.

beyer05
12-08-2003, 05:12 AM
How can you tell which one you have?

Braff1
12-08-2003, 10:35 AM
Nonrebuildable is black. the rebuildable is aluminum body and cost 20.oo more.

toby400ex
12-08-2003, 03:54 PM
I gots one of them rebuildable denton's. After just 2 1/2 hours of riding i love it.:D

northeast400
12-08-2003, 08:11 PM
I have the newer designed PEP. I like it no troubles yet, and I have rolled the quad and landed many jumps through the woods. Plus it is rebuildable

rivermobster
12-09-2003, 01:47 PM
I bit the bullet and ordered a Scotts today. Ill let u all know as soon as i get a good ride on it.

Have fun!

12-09-2003, 04:10 PM
I've been using a denton stabalizer for almost 3 years now and only rebuilt it 1 time. It still works great and has held up to a beatin. Including clipping trees while XC racing..:mad:

bmw500hp
12-09-2003, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by rivermobster
I bit the bullet and ordered a Scotts today. Ill let u all know as soon as i get a good ride on it.

Have fun!

River, do you know if the Scott can be used on a variety of aftermarket stems and stem height configurations or is it specific to one application. Also, are you using it on a Z or ?.

Thanks, looking forward to hearing good things! :)

By the way, I have a Denton, have had no problems, and would buy one again. Just real interested in getting into a top of the line stabilizer.

quadrider400
12-09-2003, 08:40 PM
Originally posted by norrisboat
The pep one is a good one. I had that but if you go with an aftermarket oil reservior it no longer fits. Thats why I am switching to the denton. It mounts in a different location.

They must assume that no one ever talks.......:eek2:

rivermobster
12-10-2003, 11:37 AM
River, do you know if the Scott can be used on a variety of aftermarket stems and stem height configurations or is it specific to one application. Also, are you using it on a Z or ?.

scottsperformance.com makes dampners for just about every application! they even have clamps that will accept not only the fat bars...but trip computers as well. its a top of the line product. Ill probably get the denton rebuilt and put on my wifes blaster...since it only gets ridden maybe 10 hours a year...and the new Scotts will go on my Z.

Here is what it looks like with the standard type bars on a Z.
http://scottsperformance.com/photos2/440.jpg

And a 400EX.
http://scottsperformance.com/photos2/96.jpg

They also have a set up for the 250EX as well.

Have fun!

12-10-2003, 12:32 PM
those are way too expensive for the average riders...:rolleyes:

Dave400ex
12-10-2003, 01:47 PM
Please let us know how you like the Scotts. I want to know how much of a difference they really make over the other stabilizers.

rivermobster
12-10-2003, 01:57 PM
Will do dave...i actually recieved it today! But...i ordered one for the oversize bars...as soon as the bars show up...ill get it installed and let u all know.

Stay tuned! :)

norrisboat
12-15-2003, 02:21 PM
The 7 click adj. denton steering stabilizer sucks compared to the pep stabilizer. I just ran a race with the denton. It is on the tightest setting and barely feels like i have it on the quad. I will never recomend a denton steering stabilizer to anybody.

PEP all the way.

sparks400
12-16-2003, 08:22 PM
i talked to a guy that has a rebuildabe one and hes used it w/o a rebuild for about 4 yrs, and he does a lil racing but mostly just fast trail rioding and stuff like that

toby400ex
12-16-2003, 08:47 PM
The 7 click adj. denton steering stabilizer sucks compared to the pep stabilizer. I just ran a race with the denton. It is on the tightest setting and barely feels like i have it on the quad. I will never recomend a denton steering stabilizer to anybody.

PEP all the way. Your denton must be jacked up cuz mine is very hard to turn with it on 7

300expower
12-16-2003, 08:54 PM
i must look so dumb,

what does a steering stabilizer do in the life of a quad?:uhoh:

12-16-2003, 09:37 PM
well it reduces bumpsteer....I think of it as a shock for your handlebars like your front shocks are for the up & down motion, this is for the side to side motion :blah:

batgeek
12-16-2003, 10:19 PM

PEP all the way.

sounds like a blown or leaking seal. that puppy needs a rebuild.

norrisboat
12-17-2003, 10:55 AM
It shouldnt need a rebuild after pulling it out of the shipping box.

12-17-2003, 12:15 PM
It shouldnt need a rebuild after pulling it out of the shipping box.

I"d contact who you got it from because they hardly suck. Are you sure you have it installed correctly??

I've ran one for 3 years, it's been rebuilt 1 time and it works perfect. You have a faulty part and for those that are interested in the denton one, this is a rare case of having this type of problem with the denton stabilizer.:cool: actually this is the first person in my 3 years on the page that has had problems with one...:huh

12-17-2003, 12:23 PM
i bought mine for $45 shipped barely used (he says) from a guy off here...it should be jhere today or tomorrow he said....can't wait to slap it on & go get cold in the wet weather :mad:

XANDADA
12-17-2003, 12:24 PM
got mine at the begining of the season and its still working perfectly. Hope ya get your problem solved...

Doibugu2
12-17-2003, 12:33 PM
It took me several hours to get that thing setup right. Getting that clamp to clear just right, does make a difference.

But you should notice a big difference as soon as you put it on. I'm sure you pulled the clamp in and out once or twice before putting it on. Did it have resistance then?

12-17-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by Doibugu2
I'm sure you pulled the clamp in and out once or twice before putting it on. Did it have resistance then?

I"m guessing NO.

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/slow.gif

norrisboat
12-17-2003, 03:46 PM
your guess is wrong. cause yes it did have resistance.

12-18-2003, 11:07 AM
your guess is wrong. cause yes it did have resistance.

So it lost its resistance when you installed it:confused:

12-18-2003, 03:08 PM
anyone know how to put these on? any pictures of them mounted? I just got mine today :D

remlapr
12-18-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Jumbo747
anyone know how to put these on? any pictures of them mounted? I just got mine today :D

There are a ton of pics - just do some searches. The key to getting it to fit and work is to slide the clamp down the body of the dampner

12-18-2003, 03:19 PM
:cool:

http://ricoracing.netfirms.com/Quad_pics_folder/XC_pics/close%20front%20road.jpg

BigAl
12-18-2003, 04:26 PM
I have the $29 VW steering stabilizer.

It's worth every penny, maybe 1000 more than I paid.

12-18-2003, 05:19 PM
thanks for the picture rico ;) :D .............got it hooke dup& just drove around through some traisl & road.....this thing is sweet!!!! i dont know if ill ever ride w/o one again...everythings sooooo smooth now..

Joequadracer
12-19-2003, 01:52 PM
I have had a Debton stabilizer on my 250R for a year or so and it works excellent,it hasn't been rebuilt yet. As far as custumer service, Denton Racing has been absolutely GREAT. I would reccomend anyone to buy from Denton Racing.

norrisboat
12-19-2003, 04:56 PM
My mechanic called Denton. Denton told them that there stabilizer is not as stiff as the pep's. They told him...... If I want it stiffer..... rebuild it with 10 weight oil. So thats what im doing after I ride tomorrow.