PDA

View Full Version : how to remove FLYWHEEL.....HELP

12-06-2003, 06:43 PM
I am trying to get the flywheel off my 300ex. I need to take this off to get to the starter clutch to replace that. I got the big bolt out that holds the flywheel on, but the flywheel wont come off. I got a puller and tried that and it didnt budge. I cranked down on it good and nonthing. what the trick?

Toadz400
12-06-2003, 06:51 PM
it's going to take a heavy-duty puller. make sure you spray WD-40 on the shaft and try to get it so it seeps through the other side. then you will end up taking a torch to it and heating up the flywheel so the metal expands, but be very careful not to hold it there for very long otherwise you will end up changing the characteristics of the metal and ruining it......

i just took the flywheel off my artic cat sled...went through one puller (busted a bolt and bent the other one in half), then busted an arm on another one and heated the flywheel up and finally got it off after a lot of banging on the flywheel with a piece of brass and hammer (i used brass because it's a soft metal).

good luck...and use lots of WD-40....

Aceman
12-06-2003, 07:09 PM
Why don't you just do it right and go to a Honda dealership and get a flywheel puller for $10. Or you can purchase a 20x1.5mm bolt through an auto parts store and put an impact wrench on it.

2004TRX450R
12-06-2003, 11:10 PM
first only use heat as a last resort. Get the proper puller and tighten it down. If it doesn't want to come off smack the puller on the end like you are trying to drive it into the flywheel. This will usually shock it enough and it will pop right off. Rather than an impact I will usually use a hammer to tighten the puller good and tight. Then smack it on the end. I can't think of one flywheel I have had to use heat on.

Now on Snowmobiles that is another story. Those clutches and flywheels come off HARD somtimes. Still haven't really needed to use heat on them either. have had a couple that were a real ***** though. I think someone else in the shop had to cut one off not to long ago though. I think it was more or less because he is an idiot though.

wilkin250r
12-08-2003, 09:41 AM
Heat can work, but only if you know what you are doing. You only want to heat the metal up, not burn it!

My advise is to make sure you have a good puller. Crank down on it, and leave it there. While the puller is cranked tight, hit the side of the flywheel with a DEADBLOW hammer, not a regular hammer. A regular hammer will leave marks, and possibly damage the fllywheel. Give it a good smack, WHILE THE PULLER IS CRANKED, and it should pop off.

2004TRX450R
12-08-2003, 10:26 AM
DON'T hit the side of the flywheel with a hammer. The jaring effect against the side of the flywheel can mess up the magnatism if you hit it very hard. Tighten the puller down tight and smack the end of the puller. Trust me it works. I do it all the time.

UglyMotha™
12-08-2003, 10:36 AM
good lord :eek2:

first of all don't use heat it is completely unnecessary and there is no need for a hammer just go a pick ya up a 20x1.5mm bolt like already stated you screw it in the center where you took the bolt out and put a impact on it and the sucker is goin to pop off with little to no effort, now if you run in to the problem of the flywheel spinning then grab yourself a penny usally everyone has one and stick it where where the two gears meet and that will settle that and then it will pop off with little effort some of you guys seem to make things harder than they really are

wilkin250r
12-08-2003, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by 2004TRX450R
DON'T hit the side of the flywheel with a hammer. The jaring effect against the side of the flywheel can mess up the magnatism if you hit it very hard. Tighten the puller down tight and smack the end of the puller. Trust me it works. I do it all the time.

This is why I put, in big capital letters, a DEADBLOW hammer. It's basically a rubber hammer that won't damage the flywheel. Smacking the end of the puller with a regular hammer may also work.

Basically, you are pulling on the flywheel, but the force of friction is keeping the flywheel on there. You just need something to "jarr" the flywheel to break it loose. Often, all you need is just a tap.

MIKE400EX
12-08-2003, 02:42 PM
A little assembly lube on the threads and tip of the puller will help alot. That didn't sound good but you know what I mean.