PDA

View Full Version : axle bearing help

rider250ex
12-06-2003, 09:58 AM
hey. we are trying to replace the axle bearings on my friends 300ex. does anyone have any good tips on how to get the old ones out?

hook
12-06-2003, 10:53 AM
HEAT THE CARRIER WITH A PROPAIN TOURCH JUST A LITTLE AN TAKE A LONG SCREW DRIVER ON EDGE OF RACE KNOCK IT OUT:devil:

Kilabanshee
12-06-2003, 11:11 AM
Yeah heat the outside rim off the axle bearing carrier. DONT HEAT THE BEARINGS or you will just f everything up and make it harder to get out. Then take a hamer and knock it a couple times and they should slide out.

Bill Fuller
12-06-2003, 11:19 AM
Place the carrier in your gas grill(if you have on if not the oven will work)heat it up for a few minutes your not trying to cook it you just want the heat to go through the metal so it will expand(15-20 min).Remove the carrier from the heat source and smack it against a block of wood (use oven mits to hold it).The bearings will pop right out do one side flip it over and repeat.Put your new bearings in the freezer for an hour or so and while the carrier is still warm install them,the will slide right in.Do not over heat.I preffer this method over the propane toarch because the heat will evenly disperse.Using a screw driver and a hammer could damage the carrier inside.Hope this helps.Heating the whole thing will not hurt or make it harder to remove the bearings.This method is the best works everytime.

hook
12-06-2003, 11:37 AM
MAKE SURE U REMOVE THE SEALS BEFORE U PUT IT IN THE OVEN LOL:devil:

Bill Fuller
12-06-2003, 03:20 PM
Ooops....forgot about them;)

12-06-2003, 04:24 PM
the oven method dint work on mine...i had to spen all halloween night trying to get mine out after trying the oven trick over 4 times & gettins a screw driver & everything..eventually i tok it to my friends house who has a whole bunch of tools & he punched them out for me....;) thanks for trying to help me fuller...everythings working good back there now.. no more chain rattling :D

toby400ex
12-06-2003, 05:16 PM
i used a crow bar and hammer, didnt even heat it up:D

Holeshot36
12-06-2003, 05:38 PM
I used the surated end of a chissle put it between the bearing and tapped it with a hammer and they popped right out.