PDA

View Full Version : Stems

Woodsrider
12-06-2003, 08:40 AM
Whats the difference between the stock and the a/m stems and should a trail rider step up to the a/m? Whats the price difference?

Dave400ex
12-06-2003, 08:56 AM
The biggest difference is having the Anti-Vibe clamp setup. To me paying the money was well worth it. I think the anti-vibe helps a lot, and I also like my Arens stem because it is a bit taller then stock, which feels better while I'm riding. I think you can find stock stems for around $60, and I know the Arens is $249. Roll has stems all the way up to $350 so price difference depends on which brand you get.

Woodsrider
12-06-2003, 09:05 AM
Wow thats a big price difference. My quad spends to much time on its handle bars to spend that kind of money on a part thats gonna get bent:( I guess I'll by a stocker, I tore the front end down the other night to powdercoat some stuff, and found that the stem was bent.

muff
12-06-2003, 09:39 AM
I've rolled with my lonestar and Tag T2 setup around 5 times now with no problems

once i cased a tabletop and me and the quad when over forwards, the others have been me sliding out then tipping over (2nd or 3rd gear) with no problems bending...I'd bet outta those 5 crashes I would have had to replace the stem and bars atleast twice

Woodsrider
12-06-2003, 11:30 AM
I bought my quad used and I think the stem was bent when I got it, not sure though. I dont think that the rollovers I have had helped it any but none the less its bent. I'm a trail rider not a racer, and cant justify the 250$+ for a anti vibe stem that will cause some thing else that costs more to be the weak link. A stock stem is 60 and a set of bars is 80+, a frame is 400$.

Unless some one can explain the benifits of the anitvibe stem to a trail rider, I fail to see the point of spending the extra cash. Id rather save that money for a 416 kit.

JOEX
12-06-2003, 09:20 PM
Originally posted by soggyrider
.......Unless some one can explain the benifits of the anitvibe stem to a trail rider, I fail to see the point of spending the extra cash. Id rather save that money for a 416 kit.
Think of it as an incentive not crash!:devil:

Joe

Woodsrider
12-06-2003, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Think of it as an incentive not crash!:devil:

Joe

LOL exactly, the less I crash the less I have to spend on fixing it. I can save it for more important things like going faster, so I can crash harder:D

JOEX
12-06-2003, 09:50 PM
LOL! Hope it works for me after all the money I put into my front end!:p

Joe

400grl
12-11-2003, 03:09 PM
Well - to be honest....for trail riding you would have the added benefit of the anti-vibe doing just what it's meant to do....reduce shock. For trail riding this means that those sudden holes/ruts/rocks/stumps you come up on won't jar your hands/wrists as much, and you will be able to hang on tighter for a longer period of time. The anti-vibe isn't a steering dampner, but it is a modification that I am now completely spoiled with - it's the first thing I bought for my Banshee after having it on my 440. It helps me at the dunes, too - in the highspeed rough cross-tracks! It's more of a luxury than anything - your stock stem will do just fine....I raced with a stock stem for a year and a half (replaced it about 4 times!).....but like I said - once you go anti-vibe, you don't go back!!!

RPM makes a great stem/clamp package, BTW!!!! ;)

thejeepdude
12-12-2003, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by soggyrider
Unless some one can explain the benifits of the anitvibe stem to a trail rider, I fail to see the point of spending the extra cash. Id rather save that money for a 416 kit.

That is indeed the ideal type of riding for realizing the benefit of an antivibe steering stem. I ride mostly rocky trails and my Arens stem combined with the steering damper has made the biggest improvement in riding fatigue. I replaced my stem because I bent the stock one at least 3 times. I bought some Renthal bars and Arens stem and just had a really big crash (now have metal plate and 9 screws in my shoulder) where the quad cart-wheeled at least 5 times end over end... the whole headlight assembly was smash and front rims were bent as the quad came to rest upside-down on top of me. The stem and bars made it through completely un-tweaked. Lucky? Perhaps.. but I would still never go back to a stock stem.

Woodsrider
12-12-2003, 08:29 PM
Okay, thanks. Two good replies as to why a trail rider would benifit from a antivibe stem. Right now I ride trails with my dampener set on the fourth click. It seems to have made a difference in how fast I can jam down the hairy narrow trails. I bought a stock stem the other day to replace a bent one I have been riding on for as long as I have owned the quad maybe. So when its time to replace again, I'll have the info to make an informed purchase :D

Wingnut
12-12-2003, 10:07 PM
When I get my new 450, whichever one it is, an anti-vibe stem will be its first modification. I am using a Houser stem on my 416 now and it has lasted through some hard crashes, a lot more than a stock stem could have handled. You don't really have to wory about some other expensive part being the weak link, the anti-vibe mount is made to absorb impacts.

bmw500hp
12-13-2003, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by Wingnut
When I get my new 450, whichever one it is, an anti-vibe stem will be its first modification. I am using a Houser stem on my 416 now and it has lasted through some hard crashes, a lot more than a stock stem could have handled. You don't really have to wory about some other expensive part being the weak link, the anti-vibe mount is made to absorb impacts.

I like my Houser +1! :macho

The quad rolled 13 times in over the summer, 3 seperate instances..bent the prm, the grab bar too, busted plastic, but the Houser and Pro-Tapers are still perfect! :muscle:

400rednEX
12-14-2003, 08:57 AM
what about the burgard anti-vibe w/clamp for $175, is it a good stem?

bmw500hp
12-14-2003, 10:40 AM
Originally posted by 400rednEX
what about the burgard anti-vibe w/clamp for $175, is it a good stem?

In regards to product selection, my personal feelings are to base a significant portion of a buying decision on the HISTORY of how well the manufacturer backs his product and how he has "made right" the problems.

From time to time, problems arise with ALL products! That is a subjective fact. The objective area, and the only area you the rider may control is where YOU stand in this equation.

When you break that part, will you hear.......

"I got your back" OR " I got your card number on file"??

To answer your question, I cannot comment on Burgard products or customer service policies. I have no experience with this company. But Izzy Burgard is certainly a longlived and competent manufacturer. Burgard products are also attractively priced.

Should you find the history to be one of support, I see know reason not to GO FOR IT! :)

12-14-2003, 11:48 AM
If your around 6 ft tall a +1 stem is a must, you'll love the difference it makes.

But if your quad spends more time upside down it might not be a good idea to spend the money on an aftermarket one..;) They have no warranty on bending..