PDA

View Full Version : ******** Article

atcyalater
12-06-2003, 08:21 AM
Has anyone read this article about Cory Ellis’s YZF450 at ********.com?

Now I’m really mad that Honda didn’t put the FCR carb on the TRX450. Here is what Cory had to say about it.

“The YFZ's stock thumb throttle cable controls the high performance FCR carb,(as opposed to the vacuum type carb that comes stock on the Honda TRX450R, which uses a slower intake vacuum to control the slide position. Comparatively, this gives Yamaha's FCR carb a much faster throttle response rate).”

Here is the cool way that Cory said Yamaha came up with to solve the safety problem. This is the no compromise innovations that I expected from Honda.

“The YFZ's stock thumb throttle assembly is controlled with a single throttle cable that directly controls the up and down movement of the throttle slide. According to Yamaha one of the challenges of utilizing this high performance carb was the safety factor in case of a stuck throttle situation. The YZ twist throttle combats this potential problem by having a separate throttle cable that pulls the slide back down when the twist throttle is turned back to neutral. On the YFZ, which as you know uses a thumb throttle, there is no way to utilize a secondary throttle cable. With that said, the stock YFZ uses an electronic version of Yamaha's patented T.O.R.S. (Throttle Override System). This system monitors both the thumb throttle and carb slide positions. As long as they are in sync everything is great. However, if by chance you let off the throttle and the slide stays open, the system shuts down the engine automatically to prevent a stuck throttle situation.”

This just shows me that Honda did not go all out with the TRX450R. After reading the article it looks like Yamaha really went all out with there bike in every area; engine, carb, suspension brakes, ergonomics. There isn't anything on that bike that Cory doesn't rave about. Basically he said that you could go out and win a GNC national on that bike stock. It just seems ridiculouse to have to put a new cam and high compression piston in the TRX450 to make it competitive with the Yamaha. Yamaha even sells full titanium exhaust pipes and 13:1 pistons for there bike. I think I’m going to buy a YFZ450 and maybe in the future if Honda upgrades there bike I might think about buying it. As a long time Honda fanatic, I expected a lot more out of Honda.

AlaskaSpeed
12-06-2003, 08:35 AM
YOU thought you would have to do NO mods to the TRX450R? This proves nothing, the Honda will be right there with the other 2.........how about we wait to whine anymore til it actually hits the showrooms now? JIM

lukester720
12-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Yea since honda and suzuki skipped him over for tim farr and doug gust, and since he owns a z400 and a yfz 450 it would be wise to think that he would kiss yamahas arce in public as much as he does just so he can be a factory backed ride and make the big bucks too! In his article he posted right after he rode the 450r he said it felt a little faster than the yfz in stock form I think he is just trying to get the big payday like everyone else that's all.

12-06-2003, 01:41 PM
hahahhahaha

that tors system is the biggest piece of crap

Out_Sider
12-06-2003, 01:57 PM
one way to solve your problem....if your not impressed DONT BUY THE HONDA! simple as that...as far as im concerned im highly impressed at how honda made their quad, and im highly impressed at how yamaha made their quad. THe only reason i would choose the R over it, would be because i really like honda..but that doesnt mean that the yamaha is bad. and just because honda didnt put an fcr on the R doesnt mean it bad. i agree with AlaskaSpeed...just wait and see

atcyalater
12-06-2003, 02:38 PM
I'm not trying to start something here I'm just giving my 2 cents. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see that Yamaha has made and incredible machine that will set the bar for years to come in the high performance ATV market and go down in anals of ATV history as one of the greatest high performance machines ever made much like the Fourtrax 250R. Myself, I'm waiting until 2005 to decide on buying a TRX450R because I dought that Honda will make any changes to the TRX450R before it's released. What you see on their web site this year is what we are going to get. I think it boils down to that old saying Honda is the reliability leader and Yamaha is the performance leader.

AlaskaSpeed
12-06-2003, 04:00 PM
I tell ya what....I'll pick up the new Honda just so I am sure I have the BEST quad......lol

ATC83
12-06-2003, 04:36 PM
I was reading in ATV Sport Magazine that the opinion of the industry is that the best Honda can do is equal the performance the YZF450 and even that is a big if. After ridig the YFZ I would have to agree with that. I can't think of anything I would want Yamaha to upgrade on the bike. It is really that good. Hopefully Honda will update the TRX450 after a year or so like they do with there motocross bikes.

Hammer trx450r
12-06-2003, 05:10 PM
dude that bike had $9,625 worth of mods done to it. lol

Hammer trx450r
12-06-2003, 05:11 PM
Imagine a trx450r with 10 grand dumped into it. hmmm I'll wait

87250r88
12-06-2003, 08:04 PM
I really don't think Yamaha or Honda reinvented the wheel with these ATV's. They aren't any better than the 250R. At best the 450R and YZF are closing the gap on the 250R. As time goes on I believe 450R will prove to be superior to the YFZ.

If you want an FCR for the TRX just get one. You are probably gonna mod the TRX or the YFZ anyway. BTW , I wouldn't want that POS T.O.R.S on anything that I owned.

I think Kory might have swallowed some sour grapes. If he plays his cards right maybe Cannondale will make him a factory rider! lol

trueblue450
12-06-2003, 08:11 PM
i already disabled tors. just cus the yfz has tors means its good.. lol. ..:rolleyes: but the bike scares the piss outta me with just the cam mod done so im happy. id say the two will be pretty close to eachother.

lukester720
12-06-2003, 09:02 PM
Can someone tell me what the tors system is I have no idea.

Hammer trx450r
12-07-2003, 04:59 AM
The fcr is fine for a twist throttle because of the return cable. With thumb throttle it is returned by just a spring( honda safty issue) Yamaha puts electronics on it so if the throttle is on different position than the carb slide it kills the bike. Sounds like fun in the middle of the woods doesnt it. Us banshee owners know all to well how bad tores sucks. first thing we all ripped off the bike

lukester720
12-07-2003, 05:39 AM
Thanks hammer

Hammer trx450r
12-07-2003, 05:54 AM
Thats my take on it. not an expert

12-07-2003, 03:05 PM
hammer Your right, the TORS is more a problem then a "feature"

Most racers would propbably take out the tors system just incase something like that would happen. So it sounds like kori is just doggin honda.

Evan
12-07-2003, 03:15 PM
Correct me if Im wrong, but the 450R doesnt come with a CV carb, its a regular slide carb. Wheres Gabe? Im sure he can back me up on this. Shows how much Kory knows:rolleyes:

The difference in performance of the 450Rs carb and the FCR is negiligible(sp) I think the difference can easily be overcome with rider ability, so quit whining and relying on the machine, go become a better rider.

BigAl
12-07-2003, 03:30 PM
My understanding is that the R carb is a butterfly + a roud slide.
Just like the 400 ex and 300ex and 350x. Not a vaccum operated slide , but mechanically operated. A fine carb, but not as good as an FCR or even a Quicksilver, or similar Mikuni pumper.

On the TORS system. It was a complicated mess on the Banshees, and even the Raptor. On the YFZ it is just a switch on the throttle, and one in the carb. It is a much simpler and better solution than in the past.

I don't fully understand the safety issues , because any throttle can stick, possibly someone can explain why the fcr would be worse than a 400ex carb, both are operated with one cable and a return spring.

Hammer trx450r
12-07-2003, 03:31 PM
Both these machines are SICK!! If you think these little things are gonna make a diference your nuts!! We are at a level now that we dont need to sqeek out one more hp because there is so much usable power to go around. This is not a 400 ex. I cant wait to hear the change of tone when people start getting theirs. I've raced banshee's for yrs so you would think im getting a yzf but your wronge im getting a honda but hats off to Yamaha for finaly putting that motor in a quad.

12-07-2003, 03:39 PM
"Carb:
While it looks like a constant-velocity (CV) carb, it is not one. It uses a butterfly combined with a round slide for a high-performance carb that is easier to tune than a high-strung race carburetor. A nice touch is that all the moving parts are protected from dirt behind the plastic cover (top)."

http://www.atvrideronline.com/newsfront/carb_z.jpg

Wingnut
12-07-2003, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by BigAl
I don't fully understand the safety issues , because any throttle can stick, possibly someone can explain why the fcr would be worse than a 400ex carb, both are operated with one cable and a return spring.

I think it's more of a legal issue if someone gets hurt. With the carb being designed as a push/pull, two cable carb, if some one got hurt from the throttle sticking that could result in a big law suit against Honda. They could easily claim that Honda did not install the carb correctly. I, personally, don't see Yamaha's solution, shutting off the engine, as being that great. If the throttle stuck open before a jump it would cause a serious nose dive, or on a steep hill someone could easily end up flipping back down.

markeg192
12-07-2003, 07:03 PM
The YFZ carb is more high tech but the R carb is a 42mm so it's prolly a good trade off.

12-07-2003, 09:15 PM
Originally posted by Wingnut
If the throttle stuck open before a jump it would cause a serious nose dive

:eek2:

cringes

yea that sounds pretty scary.:eek:

coryatver
12-07-2003, 10:49 PM
Has anyone ever tried tuning a FCR carb? :eek:

TGW_400ex
12-08-2003, 04:25 AM
Originally posted by BeeeRock!
hahahhahaha

that tors system is the biggest piece of crap

Most ppl i know just take it off hahahhahaha

Its called a kill switch! IF your throttle sticks hit the switch TA DA your stoped

TGW_400ex
12-08-2003, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by atcyalater
I'm not trying to start something here I'm just giving my 2 cents. I don't think it takes a rocket scientist to see that Yamaha has made and incredible machine that will set the bar for years to come in the high performance ATV market and go down in anals of ATV history as one of the greatest high performance machines ever made much like the Fourtrax 250R. Myself, I'm waiting until 2005 to decide on buying a TRX450R because I dought that Honda will make any changes to the TRX450R before it's released. What you see on their web site this year is what we are going to get. I think it boils down to that old saying Honda is the reliability leader and Yamaha is the performance leader.

You don't make sence you sayed your going to buy the YFZ and now you might buy the 450r?:huh