PDA

View Full Version : Another exhaust question!

LazeR
12-05-2003, 02:11 PM
OK i'm debating on either a WB E-series S-bend slip on or a HMF Slip on for a '02 400ex! Which one is louder? which one gives more power? im looking for low, mid-range mostly..., which would all of you recommend? thanx in advance sorry about so many questions!

YLW400
12-05-2003, 02:15 PM
GO with the HMF, without a doubt between those two..

LazeR
12-05-2003, 03:35 PM
why do you say that? and how loud is the HMF?

cals400ex
12-05-2003, 03:41 PM
the hmf is better quality in my opinion. i would never run a WB over a HMF, but that is just me. i am not sure in loudness, but both a quite a bit louder than stock. i like the sound of both systems. you can also get a good deal on the hmf from C&D.

LazeR
12-06-2003, 02:00 AM
I just wanna be able to run at the dunes without getting bothered! or the worst of all......ticketed

YLW400
12-06-2003, 09:39 AM
I am not sure exactly on the decibels, but the HMF is far better quality then the WB...probably also quieter too...

12-06-2003, 09:44 AM
personally...if i was u...i would save my money and buy a full system...but as slip ons go...i like the e series wb...as for full system i definantly prefer the sparks x-6...but if u dont like loudness then dont buy that sparks pipe ;)

UglyMotha™
12-06-2003, 09:55 AM
truthfully a full system is goin to be a waste on a stock motor you goin to notice alot of bottom missing you best bet would be to save your money and get a slip on specially if you don't have any future plans to work your motor

out of the two i would take the hmf any day of the week it's an all around better silencer than the e series

12-06-2003, 09:56 AM
u wont notice lack of low end unless you get a builders pipe like hetrick lrd or the sparks x-6...the x-4 will keep your low end and pipes like big gun and some others will actually give you more

UglyMotha™
12-06-2003, 09:58 AM
your not goin to notice any low end gain from any aftermarket larger high flow header plain and simple it's a waste only aftermarket header that would be benificary to him would the power bomb

YLW400
12-06-2003, 10:00 AM
From what I hear that is true also.....Out stock headers are very free flowing.......

12-06-2003, 10:04 AM
Originally posted by UglyMotha™
your not goin to notice any low end gain from any aftermarket larger high flow header plain and simple it's a waste only aftermarket header that would be benificary to him would the power bomb

yep...its gonna take a smaller header to benifit him with a stock motor...if u run a big one it will not do too much except for the top end

LazeR
12-06-2003, 02:32 PM
on the HMF with the quiet core insert will it quiet it to where i would be legal to run on the dunes? thats all im worried about as far as sound.....its not that i care about it being loud, its that i care about getting a ticket lol....thats one thing i like about the WB is that you can take discs out to quiet it....but even using a quiet core insert wouldnt be bad i guess? how hard are they to put in? also i dont wanna go deaf lol! how much power do you lose with the quiet core insert? i really appreciate all of your guys and gals opinions keep em going

redrunner
12-06-2003, 04:32 PM
I don't know what db's they require at the dunes but the core does work for the level, I think HMF says down to 92. I ran mine with and without at Hatfield and there is some noticable difference but not enough to worry about. It comes out with three allen head ss screw, quick and simple.

LazeR
12-07-2003, 12:51 AM
Was there a noticable difference from being stock and adding the HMF? also did the quiet core help hush it alot? i think the limit on the dunes is like 96db im not positive though also you know if there is a way to check the db without having the chances of getting a ticket :)

LazeR
12-07-2003, 01:30 AM
http://www.atvnews.com/output.cfm?id=30961 after looking at this site.....almost makes me wanna go with WB! how true do you think that info is? and yes i know there the full systems..... but wouldn't the slip ons have the same results? as in the wb adding more?

all comments are welcome! please please tell me what you all think!

12-07-2003, 08:41 AM
wow 96db...thats kinda low...i wouldnt be able to make it in lol...if its the sand dunes are their houses close to the park or something or why do they want the db to have a limit

AlaskaSpeed
12-07-2003, 08:51 AM
:confused:

LazeR
12-07-2003, 01:56 PM
They say it disturbs the wildlife or something like that.....but in my opinion it is a reason to give people tickets! naa there is no houses that ive seen

redrunner
12-07-2003, 05:23 PM
You will definetly notice the power increase especially after you jet it. Noise, well that will be a touchy one when the dunes are concerned. The core quiets it somewhat but give HMF a call.John or Hanz can answer some of that for you. I would take my stocker with me if I went just in case. Maybe ask one of those "nice rangers" to measure it before you ride! lol

UglyMotha™
12-07-2003, 06:14 PM
Originally posted by AlaskaSpeed
:confused:

weirdo :o

airheadedduner
12-07-2003, 11:05 PM
Sound limit is 93db. I would go wb. With 6 discs I think it passes, if not you can take more out and prove you corrected the problem, get it checked again and they will lower or drop the ticket. I havn't been checked in forever, screw it, I run 12 in my pro meg:p

LazeR
12-08-2003, 12:23 AM
Yea, i think im gonna just get a WB from talking to ppl it seems to be my best choice and i like the idea of being able to control the noise and also where i want the power...as far as less discs more torque and low end.....more discs more top end or so thats what i have been told!