PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust question

EX-SOTO
12-04-2003, 09:22 PM
If I was to throw on my HMF slip on pipe before I get a chance to get my quad jetted, what are my concequences? Is it bad to do? Or would it just not perform to its potential? Would it harm my motor? I know, i know, lots of questions.

Diedrich
12-04-2003, 09:30 PM
naw it shouldnt hurt it..it wont perform its best though..just get it jetted sometime soon

wilkin250r
12-05-2003, 10:03 AM
A free-flowing exhaust will allow your quad to breathe a little better and draw in more air. More air means you need more fuel, or you run lean. A lean condition can be VERY bad.

Now, most likely, your quad is jetted just a little rich for safety, so leaning it out a little may not hurt it.

When you quad is a little lean, it actually runs very well, with tons of power. That's because you get a very complete burn inside the cylinder. However, this also creates a lot of heat, which can overheat your piston, causing it to melt or seize, nearly destroying your motor.

To avoid this, you would make sure your quad is jetted properly to give it the proper amount of fuel.

So, chances are you would probably be ok, but if you're not, you could be looking at a MAJOR repair.

Now that you have the information, you can decide for yourself the best course of action.

EX-SOTO
12-05-2003, 10:09 AM
Let me explain my situation. I got the Hmf slip on. I haven't ridden my bike at all since installed and don't have time to jet it. I want to go to the track tomorrow but haven't jetted it yet. Is it ok to go to the track tomorrow?

12-05-2003, 11:02 AM
yes...if the bike is running poorly though stop, if it is running ok then you should be alright just for a few hours of riding but get it fixed...maybe you should just put you stock pipe back on untill you get your jets in ;)

cals400ex
12-05-2003, 03:49 PM
i would just go to your local dealer and pick up a 152 or 155 keihin mainjet. the mainjets can be rchanged in less than 3 minutes.

ReconRider25
12-05-2003, 03:57 PM
you have to run it to see what needs rejeting. more bottom end, you need to change pilot, midrang not good, chande needle clip, top end cutting out, need to change main. its not gonna huirt it if you ride it for a little bit.

cals400ex
12-05-2003, 05:27 PM
the mainjet, needle, and fuel skrew/pilot jet play a role in throttle positions, not lowend, highend, etc. that is probally what you mean. just wanted to clear things up.