PDA

View Full Version : problem catching gears

03400EX_Nacs
12-04-2003, 02:57 PM
i notice some times when i am like drag racing on dirt against someone that i will start to top the gear out and i'll pull the clutch and try to switch and it wont catch and i'll try again and it still wont and then finally it will i dont have this problem all the time but when i do it rags the gear out any thoughts on the problem?

chrisp333
12-04-2003, 07:40 PM
check the play in your clutch lever. you may need to tighten the cable.

2004TRX450R
12-04-2003, 08:13 PM
you could have a bent shift fork or something. Also a worn groove in the shift drum. could just be that you are trying to shift to fast and not getting it all the way in too. Check your clutch adjustment as well and make sure there is play in the lever but not to much.

Aceman
12-05-2003, 01:57 PM
Also check to see if your dogs are worn out, if your shifting gears like a madman your dogs might not be catching because they are rounded off.

UglyMotha™
12-05-2003, 02:01 PM
i'm goin to have to say it's probably user error specially seeing how the bike really isn't all that old

when you drag racing usally the adrenalin is rushing and even i somtimes miss a gear

03400EX_Nacs
12-05-2003, 08:45 PM
i'm goin to have to say it's probably user error specially seeing how the bike really isn't all that old
yeah that could be it... but i still dont know i will check everything sometime when it is warm

FoUr FoRtY eX
12-06-2003, 09:33 PM
if its not user error than it has to be your shifterfork or dogs, that was the problem with mine

400woodsrider
12-07-2003, 07:12 PM
mine does the same when under heavy loads climing big a** sabd hills when I drop it down a gear usualy to second it wont catch and I have to bail and catcth the bike from rolling over Im pretty sure that it is the bike and not my shifting because it usualy only does it going in to second which part is most likly worn out and how big of a job is it to replace

400exBro
12-08-2003, 03:24 PM
Originally posted by 400woodsrider
mine does the same when under heavy loads climing big a** sabd hills when I drop it down a gear usualy to second it wont catch and I have to bail and catcth the bike from rolling over Im pretty sure that it is the bike and not my shifting because it usualy only does it going in to second which part is most likly worn out and how big of a job is it to replace

i have the same problem while racing i will find my self in a second neutal, usually between 4th and 3rd or 3rd and 2nd can't remember. but i does happen sometimes