PDA

View Full Version : Cam piston install???

EXDUNER127
12-04-2003, 12:59 PM
For all you that did your own work!

What was the hardest part about dissasembling your motor and intalling a high comp piston and cam?

Was it hard to get the timing just right for the cam?

Is the hot cams stg 2 drop in easy as "drop in"? Do you literally just take the old one out and put the new one in?

Last ?? Can you just put a cam in and and then a piston later. if so is it bad or good. noticable power?

my engine builder said if i was short on cash i can start with a cam, is this true?

12-04-2003, 01:25 PM
hardest part is gettin all the crap out of the way to get to the motor I think....:huh Really......:mad:

Yes you can put just a cam in it. Might take you an hour at the most,,again the most time consuming thing is removing all the crap so you can get to the top of the motor...:mad:

Chanman420q
12-04-2003, 01:28 PM
i put in a TC cam in my motor with out a piston, i also did it my self with out a manual, took about 30 mins. Just open the valve cover, take off the tensinor, unbolt the stock cam, bolt the new cam, set the timing, put the tensinor on and put it back together.

EXDUNER127
12-04-2003, 01:41 PM
would i get any gains from just the hot cams stg 2, cause that is like only a 130$ and ride until i get more cash for piston. is there noticeable difference, like will i beat other piped and filtered 400ex's. or is it not worth it? will it do anything bad to the motor?

12-04-2003, 02:22 PM
I have no expeirence with hotcams but i'd say without a high comp piston and that stage 2 cam your gonna loose bottem end for sure maybe too much???

Colby will be able to give a good answer on this.

BIGRED400
12-04-2003, 05:45 PM
The hardest part so far is sealing those Gallon zip lock bags with tags...........mine's tore down right now waiting on the machine shop....but he's worth the wait....that is half of it ...finding a true "machinist"....soon to be 416 JE coated with this http://www.swaintech.com/4whl.html stage 2 HotCams..and other goodies

Glamis400ex
12-04-2003, 06:55 PM
Save your money and do it all at once. It's not hard, just be sure to pay close attention to how everything went in.

Glamis

2004TRX450R
12-04-2003, 08:10 PM
The whole thing is pretty easy but it all depends on your skill level. I would do it all at once that way you don't have to tear it apart twice. Also you should see very noticeable gains in power with just the cam but more if you go with a hi. comp. piston at the same time.