PDA

View Full Version : should i get a 400ex or banshee

sycoracer911
12-04-2003, 04:12 AM
i have been looking at them both and i dont do witch one to get. I ride just about everything but mostly road and field. I do ride trails sometimes. witch one would be better. dont tell me honda just because you dont like yamaha or something like that. can i please have a no bias question

killed300ex
12-04-2003, 04:52 AM
Id get a banshee i thought about detting one but then i lookedat were i rde mainly mud and tight trails. THey are fine on roads and feilds and shine in the dunes. Everyone says they suck in the trails though, they really arnt that bad , as long as you are a decent rider you can control it in the woods.
killed

400grl
12-04-2003, 07:11 AM
I have a Banshee and it's a blast. For what you will be riding I would think you'd love it! I ride mine on trails and on the track sometimes when I need to get some track time in - it does OK - you just have to learn the powerband! And at the dunes it kicks butt!!! :)

I'm a Honda girl at heart - you would love a 400ex, too - but you can really make use of the speed of the Shee for the riding you will be doing! :)

12-04-2003, 08:40 AM
banshee, they are best for drag racing

4TraxRider
12-04-2003, 11:47 AM
Banshee's arent as bad as people say, I personally like them enough to buy one if I already had a few EX's. Mostly I think it's a personal thing, ride them both and see what feels better and what you like more. Everybody tol me I'd love a Z, but when I got it it ruined the rest of my MX season and I just didn't get along with it. You just have to ride them before you buy them.

BansheeRyder
12-04-2003, 12:26 PM
hi i am would go with a banshee 2 and i am not being bios i love all quads and when people say that they sux in the woods that is not true it is depending on how u set it up cause i ride through tight trails and mud with mine just have to have good tires, and a -2 swingarm makes a world of difference but not neccesary.

12-04-2003, 12:34 PM
If your looking for a bathtub on wheels the banshee would be the best choice....:o

sycoracer911
12-04-2003, 02:04 PM
i do not ride dunes. i do like to hill climb also. i will be doing hill climbs at the coal piles up here in pa. i also want to visit the track alot nect sumer. i dont have a chance to ride htem both because i dont no ne one with one. i do ride trails too. altho i dont jump big i do enjoy jumping. i have years of expearience with quads. and i never owned a sport 2 stroke so maybe it would be good to change over. everyone says there more realiable better handleing and stuff like that but i also enjoy the banshee. for rual rindin in pa ,hillclimbing,and track riding, and woods riding witch woud be better....right now my blaster will beat a z 400.

ps my blaster is not hte one int he description

BansheeRyder
12-04-2003, 04:03 PM
if u like to climb hills then the banshee is the perfect choice just keep it in the powerband

sam the brave
12-04-2003, 05:12 PM
they require a lot of maintenice but it is good for doon riding ang jumping and if u put a lot of moneu itno it it will fly

12-04-2003, 06:14 PM
i got what u need:D (seriously)
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid73/pb7042d01e087ad1cfc0a8d91e2a4e3c1/fb6f8fb5.jpg

hotrodhonda400
12-04-2003, 07:21 PM
400ex!!

03400EX_Nacs
12-04-2003, 07:28 PM
well if you dont do alot of trails and like alot of speed i guess the banshee. its hard to say that cuz i am a 400ex dude but i heard you can get exhaust for a banshee and it'll work on trails...

Narly R
12-04-2003, 08:13 PM
I think you would like both a lot, but I am leanning torwards a ex. You can make them as fast as you want. I say dont bother with the 2 strokes!

Diedrich
12-04-2003, 10:29 PM
both are great quads..it just comes down to personal preference

400grl
12-05-2003, 08:52 AM
I have to argue about the maintenance part. I have a Shee and it's VERY easy to maintain!!!! As long as you don't get a totally hacked Shee with a lot of motor mods, it's even easier than my 440 to maintain. And pre-mixing is easy.

Bart
12-05-2003, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by 400grl
I have to argue about the maintenance part. I have a Shee and it's VERY easy to maintain!!!! As long as you don't get a totally hacked Shee with a lot of motor mods, it's even easier than my 440 to maintain. And pre-mixing is easy.

Apparently you have never had to adjust your chain. Or change the air filter. Or rejet (2 carbs).;)

400grl
12-05-2003, 10:41 AM
LOL!!! Yeah - I've adjusted my chain - and I don't like that style of chain adjuster! But it's still easy. And I have a K&N Pro-Design filter set up - no hassles there. And I have only rejetted once! But come on! You have to do those things with any quad you get! At least I don't have to change my oil after every race anymore!! (since my gear oil does not go through the engine, the oil lasts longer between oil changes!) That's just regular maintenance stuff you have to do with any quad......;)

P.S. I ADORE HONDA! I just think my shee is low maint. too!

airheadedduner
12-05-2003, 10:43 AM
Originally posted by Fred
Apparently you have never had to adjust your chain. Or change the air filter. Or rejet (2 carbs).;)
:cuss:
I could rejet my R in under 5 min, and by rejet I mean change main, pilot and needle. My dad's shee takes me at least 1/2 hour to change just the mains, most of the time more. I like both bikes but I would take the EX. It is more reliable, handles better, and is easier to ride.

tants
12-05-2003, 12:49 PM
400ex

Moded86R
12-05-2003, 02:19 PM
I recently had to decide the same thing.

I looked at a used 98 banshee with all kinds of goodies.(fmf pipes,Razr's,coolhead,etc,etc.)It was really really fast.I rode it around and I really liked it.

The guy was asking 3500 for it.

Then I looked at a bone stock yellow 02 400ex.it had very low hours and runs great.I ended up buying it for 3700.

To be honest I think my 400ex's motor is way to slow.The thing is for some reason the 400ex just works really good.No matter what you are doing.It might now be able to beat all the faster bikes.But it can hang right there with them.That is why I bought it.I wanted a bike that I could ride everyday.And have a blast on.

For me it was the 400ex.

Toadz400
12-05-2003, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Fred

that's also a personal preference....i think it's a lot easier to tighten the chain on a banshee then on a 400ex. but the filter is a little harder to change...lol, damn thing you have to try to snap in:grr: , and the 2 carbs...yes they blow...that's why i'm getting a Trinity CV 33mm carb for mine:D

if you ride some trails but mostly open and hill climbing, i would definately go with the banshee....as long as you know how to ride right, you can do just fine in the trail. i have FMF pipes and they do make it a lot better for trails, but it's just not as good as the 400ex, but the 400ex can't be made as fast as a banshee (as easily).

AtvMxRider
12-05-2003, 05:09 PM
Originally posted by Toadz400
i think it's a lot easier to tighten the chain on a banshee then on a 400ex.

:huh

12-05-2003, 05:28 PM
get a shee

hotrodhonda400
12-07-2003, 04:54 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Toadz400
[personal preference....i think it's a lot easier to tighten the chain on a banshee then on a 400ex. You have got to be kidding
:huh did you mean its easier to mis-adjust the banshee's chain if so then I understand

GrInDeR400ex
12-07-2003, 06:19 PM
well i got a 400 my buddy has a banshee, he likes it due to the fact he can out drag up but when on tracks he dont like it it dont have the low end he wants and constantly clutchin it to death around the burms and doubles

Toadz400
12-07-2003, 07:53 PM
Originally posted by hotrodhonda400
You have got to be kidding
:huh did you mean its easier to mis-adjust the banshee's chain if so then I understand

no i'm not kidding...i have an easier time adjusting my banshee chain than my 400 chain...

but i do agree on the air filter being a pain to put in, and the carbs a hassle to rejet:grr:

BansheeRyder
12-08-2003, 06:47 PM
ya it isnt that hard to adjust the chain

Torn66
12-11-2003, 11:39 AM
i have both and if you can only have one- go for the wow factor of the banshee.

I ride 90% in the coal pits in Pa and MX- and unless i'm going out for a FULL day of trail riding i usually take the shee

brandonpeake
12-11-2003, 12:09 PM
man ive had both and now i ride a 400ex
if you want any kind of suspension dont get the banshee or count on buying a arms shocks front and rear and swingarm

i didnt realize how bad it was till i got my 400ex and out my tcs shocks on it
its like the difference between a 3 wheeler and a 4 wheeler

but dont get me wrong a nice long fireroad and a banshee is fun and i liked it b/c it had a long seat and me and my girl could ride it double real easy, i ever raced a few midsouth hare scrambles on it, and as long as you can keep it going you are fine but if you get stopped in the wrong place u are screwed about getting the revs up, pm me if you want some banshee info i rodeseveral different ones for several years

Torn66
12-11-2003, 12:13 PM
to brandons comment my sheehas 250r geomehtry and all the godies- so its a tough comparison to stock

but i still liked my stock banshee more than the 400 in 95% of conditions