PDA

View Full Version : wich piston

sparks400
12-03-2003, 08:07 PM
i gettin a piston and cam setup for christmas and i wanted to kno what is the best piston/cam setup u guys suggest, i want to run a 10.5:1 je piston, or 11:1, with a 11:1 do u have to run race gas or can u still run pump with stock rockers arm etc? o ya with a hotcam stage 2, i mostly do open woods and hill climbs.

Toadz400
12-03-2003, 08:39 PM
with 11:1 you are supposed to run race gas....and i don't know about what stage you'd want, if it's open trails probably stage 2 if there isn't a lot of need for the low end, but hill climb i think you might want stage 1....maybe someone with a stage 1 or 2 can help you on that issue.

sparks400
12-04-2003, 11:01 AM
what will happen if i dont run race gas

cals400ex
12-04-2003, 03:59 PM
your motor might not run right if you don't use race gas with a compression ratio too high. you might get detonation. i am running 10.8:1 compression with thinner gaskets and i have not had any problems yet. however, i use 92 or 93 fuel, depending on where i get it from. so, premium is a must. with 10.5 or 10.8, you should be just fine on premium fuel. i have had good luck with my ross piston. for open area, the state 2 is great. if you want more power lower in the rpm range, the stage 1 might suit you better.

sparks400
12-04-2003, 05:00 PM
so a ross 10.8:1 compression piston is good, all i use is premium gas in all my bikes. where can i get a ross piston ?

cals400ex
12-05-2003, 04:45 PM
you can get the 10.8 ross or je from C&D for around $120. they are good to deal with. their # is on the top of this page.

Tommy 17
12-05-2003, 07:55 PM
i have a .040 je 10.8:1 in my 400 and i run 94 octane sunoco with no problems

12-05-2003, 08:58 PM
i would go with a sparks 11:1 JE piston...they mod their pistons for better performance...they are the ONLY ones with this piston...the piston is made JUST for them and no one else...call them up at 661-872-4343...if you are willing to pay more for better then call them for sure...and u will not need to run race gas on 11:1 i would say nething over 11.5:1 u would need it...this also affects your climate and elevation...this is a depending factor...but where i am this is what is true...i run premium unleaded with about a 11.3:1 piston...somewhere around there...its an 11:1 with thinner sparks gaskets so im not sure on the exact but its around there...no problems for me...and i would go with the stage 2 cam...with a high comp piston your low end will already have all the power you will need and the cam will just add a huge blast all over your powerband...u might also want to think about a FCR 39mm, some porting, and a rev box...the rev box changes your power curve...this helps you out a lot...giving you power where u need it...call up sparks and talk to them about it...they can give u all the info you need...if u dont like what they have...give C&D a call and they can get u it...if u dont wanna pay more for better...$100 JE piston to a $175 JE piston...then dont call sparks...you pay for performance and quality...along with their top techs and help...just trying to help you out on your decision :macho

sparks400
12-05-2003, 09:34 PM
u no ur stuff dont u lol, i think i made my decision by reading that post

12-05-2003, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by sparks400
u no ur stuff dont u lol, i think i made my decision by reading that post

:D ;)

sparks400
12-05-2003, 09:42 PM
thanks alot

12-05-2003, 09:45 PM
np...if u need any help or have nemore questions just pm me or put up another post...i can help you out on your decision...i went through the same thing u went through when i was picking out my 416...i kno how it is...trust me :D

cals400ex
12-06-2003, 11:10 AM
i have to disagree. for one, je owns wiseco. for two, a piston builder for je moved away from je and now works for ross. how are their pistons made just for themselves to give more power than other pistons???? i would have to say that the je would give the least revving power compared to them all. when you take the piston, pins, clips etc together, the je weighs the most. the ross is the lightest, thus giving an advantage for revving power. who knows, this weight difference might not be noticable. the only reason i would stay away from wiseco is because their compression ratios are wrong. i wouldn't have a problem putting a je in my bike because they make quality pistons. however, the ross is a good quality piston with a little less weight. the heavier je, in theory, might give better bottom end. where the ross might rev out a little better. there is probally very little difference between the ross and je pistons. i would just disagree that the je is modded for better performance etc. either way should be good to go.

Colby@C&DRacing
12-06-2003, 12:30 PM
I like the both the JE and the ROSS. I do not agree with buying the piston from sparks because you are just buy the same piston for more money. He does not do anything special to the piston for more power. He has JE make all of his piston in one comp ratio like 13:1 and then if you want an 11:1 they just mill off some of the dome. JE does not own wiseco they are both owned by the same parent company, Just thought I would give you all the facts

cals400ex
12-06-2003, 01:23 PM
sorry about that misprint. je and wiseco are owned by the same company. i agree, order the piston through C&D and not sparks unless you want to pay more for the same piston.

12-06-2003, 04:26 PM
lmao...ok u guys r the true idiots if u dont believe it...call them up and ask them themselves...talk to curtis...he will tell u the same...talk to jeff...talk to neone...and its not for performance...it is for like heat risitance and other things...and im sure neone at C&D will say its not true...because they want u to buy from them instead of sparks...if u wanna kno the truth call them...and i didnt say JE was better then ross...ross is lighter and je is in the middle...wiesco is the heaviest...the JE is a better quality then the ross but yes the ross will rev out faster...but the 400ex already revs out fast enough as is...so y does that matter? call sparks and u will see what i am talkin about...ask them about their JE piston

cals400ex
12-06-2003, 05:50 PM
i know lrd does some internal coating that is suppose to make there be less wear or something, sparks may too. i am not saying that the ross is better than the je, but i do want you to explain to me how you know or think you know everything. it seems like every product you have is the best by reading your posts.

"i didnt say JE was better then ross"
"the JE is a better quality then the ross "

all i see here is a contradiction!!

call me an idiot if you want. i try to help anyone that asks for it. you bet, i don't know everything, not even close. however calling colby an idiot is wrong especially with how much work and effort him and dusty put into their work. i know he knows a hell of a lot more than yourself. also, they are the site sponsor. i guess you haven't dealt with C&D too much because you wouldn't be talking trash like this if you did. have you ever thought sparks could be telling you his products are better so he was the one making money?? by the way, i have been told that sparks actually sends many of his motors out or in other words, he isn't the one that builds them. yes the wiseco is the heaviest piston of them all, but when you add the pin, circlips, etc to the piston, the wiseco actually weighs less than the je.

to the original post: you shouldn't have any problems running a 10.8:1 compression ross or je piston on premium fuel.

12-06-2003, 06:31 PM
Originally posted by cals400ex
i know lrd does some internal coating that is suppose to make there be less wear or something, sparks may too. i am not saying that the ross is better than the je, but i do want you to explain to me how you know or think you know everything. it seems like every product you have is the best by reading your posts.

"i didnt say JE was better then ross"
"the JE is a better quality then the ross "

all i see here is a contradiction!!

call me an idiot if you want. i try to help anyone that asks for it. you bet, i don't know everything, not even close. however calling colby an idiot is wrong especially with how much work and effort him and dusty put into their work. i know he knows a hell of a lot more than yourself. also, they are the site sponsor. i guess you haven't dealt with C&D too much because you wouldn't be talking trash like this if you did. have you ever thought sparks could be telling you his products are better so he was the one making money?? by the way, i have been told that sparks actually sends many of his motors out or in other words, he isn't the one that builds them. yes the wiseco is the heaviest piston of them all, but when you add the pin, circlips, etc to the piston, the wiseco actually weighs less than the je.

to the original post: you shouldn't have any problems running a 10.8:1 compression ross or je piston on premium fuel.

yes JE is better quality...that doesnt mean its better...the ross is actually better then the JE...but the JE is a better quality of piston than the ross...if u want the best piston buy the ross...that doesnt mean it will last longer or nething more then the JE...and i dont try to help neone? how do u kno colby knows more than me? sure he has been correct most of the time...but he is incorrect here...sparks does mod their pistons...not them themselves...but JE builds them ONLY for sparks...and he is right they only build 12.5:1 pistons...they wouldnt lie to sell something...that is called false advertising...you would be fined for that...and for 2...i bought 1 normal JE from www.gopartsdirect.com and 1 from sparks...and im sure he doesnt actually build them himself...im sure he makes sure everything is correct at the end...he may send them to his other shops or something to do some of the work...or may even send them some other place to get them bored...does this mean nething...no...and u can run 11.3:1 maybe even a little higher on premium...10.8:1 isnt the max

sparks400
12-06-2003, 06:39 PM
ya'll r confusing me, so je is in the middle in weight but better made then ross, does the thing that sparks does to je piston come in 11:1 std

12-06-2003, 06:41 PM
std?...all of sparks pistons are 12.5:1 but if u want another compression they fix up the piston so it is that compression...they pretty much cut it down and fix it back to lower the compression

sparks400
12-06-2003, 06:43 PM
i run primeum gas not race gas so 12.5:1 wont work with pump

Toadz400
12-06-2003, 06:45 PM
Honda_Racer you are truely stupid...that's all i have to say....all you do is contradict yourself OVER and OVER again.

"You can trust anyone, but don't trust the devil inside."

sparks400...just go with either the JE or Ross (WHO CARES, good both quality and who really cares about revving a little quicker?). Get it from C&D for cheaper and the same piston. And as for 11:1, you MIGHT be safe with 93 octane and you might not...but i'd probably try to mix a little race gas in there to be safe.

And just ignore Honda_Racer from here on....

right...so if u tell them u want 11:1 or 10.8:1 or whatever compression they will fit that piston to the compression u asked for

sparks400
for no charge

12-06-2003, 06:49 PM
wow toadz...those are some big words from a 13-15 year old kid eh? please talk when u have any idea what u r talkin about...i have both pistons...i can see that they are not the same...and i contradict myself? please post something proving that...yes i said je was more quality and ross was lighter woo?

12-06-2003, 06:51 PM
Originally posted by sparks400
for no charge

all there pistons come to them 12.5:1 but they fit them for your preferance...completely free

Toadz400
12-06-2003, 06:59 PM
Originally posted by XxHonda_RacerxX
wow toadz...those are some big words from a 13-15 year old kid eh? please talk when u have any idea what u r talkin about...i have both pistons...i can see that they are not the same...and i contradict myself? please post something proving that...yes i said je was more quality and ross was lighter woo?

haha...considering that you're 14 or 15.....

and just because your dad can work on engines, doesn't mean that you know EVERYTHING about EVERYTHING, okay?

and about contradicting yourself....read the post where you said about C&D vs Sparks...that was a whole contradiction right there...

and i'd like to see how long your engine lasts with 11.3:1 or higher comp. on 92 or 93 octane running hard.....especially with a 416 and full exhaust and your other mods....

sparks400
12-06-2003, 07:04 PM
im 15 i and work on motors, and my dad is settin right there guiding me along, and all i did was ask a question about what piston has good quailty and good performence, and dual oil coolers and everything else i did to this bike jetting plug chops i did all my own and y can xx honda_racerxx be don the same, i kno alot about motors and he does to obious

Toadz400
the hardest thing about arguing with stupid people is that they say **** that's SO stupid and they pretty much prove themselves wrong whenever they talk that it's impossible to actually "win" against them.

they're so dumb you can't even speak because you have so many things you want to say at one time....

i think we need a "Hitler" for our country and set up concentration camps all over for the people with no common sense or IQ....

flyin#5
all there pistons come to them 12.5:1 but they fit them for your preferance...completely free

please shut up:) your like 14 yourself.... and obviously dont know what your talking about... you think these people that deal with this stuff every D@mn day dont know what there talking about? stupid "joo":rolleyes: lmgdao

(btw this kid is even more retarded on msn.... )

12-06-2003, 07:09 PM
and just who r u? and u just joined so u have no idea what im even talkin about...and yes all their pistons are 12.5:1...ask neone...even colby knows that...so who is the idiot here? and if ur that lil mike kid...please stfu cuz i kno u have zero clue what i am even talking about

Toadz400
12-06-2003, 07:11 PM
Honda_Racer, I'm going to be the man in this arguement and step down before I get myself in trouble with the Mods again...

I'm sick of arguing with idiotic people so much these days that I just give up, there's too many of you out there...

Sparks400...like I said in the PM, just call up the places or check out the websites and read up on them and find out for yourself....if you want to save some money order from C&D...if you want to spend more money for the same piston that is slightly larger but then had it's head shaved off...go ahead.

Peace out.

-Toadz

(Honda_Racer, don't write anymore in this thread towards me...I'm sick of fighting with stupid people everyday, I have enough of them in my daily life.)

flyin#5
12-06-2003, 07:23 PM
and just who r u? and u just joined so u have no idea what im even talkin about...and yes all their pistons are 12.5:1...ask neone...even colby knows that...so who is the idiot here? and if ur that lil mike kid...please stfu cuz i kno u have zero clue what i am even talking about

i dont huh? i think i just read this whole post. i know what your talking about. dip$h!t. lil? your like 13, you act like a 10 yr old whigger though. your so pathetic.....

sparks400
12-06-2003, 07:26 PM
flying what do u think the best quialty and performence is?

flyin#5
12-06-2003, 07:46 PM
ive always thought JE was a good brand. really they are both great but i like JE. good strong light pistons.

sparks400
12-06-2003, 08:06 PM
seee everyone thats all i wanted is what flyin said

cals400ex
12-07-2003, 01:17 AM
both pistons will be fine. some say ross is better, some say je is better. both are $120 from C&D. i just chose the ross because it was lighter. i haven't had any problems at all. i think 11.3:1 is definately cutting it close for our air cooled bikes. it may detonate in the summer, i dont know since i haven't used a piston with that compression. however, bashing colby is uncalled for on this site. i know colby knows more than yourself. you may just be too stubborn to admit it. i haven't heard any proof that one piston is better than another. all i hear is "such and such is better." i have not had one fact why one is better/worse quality than the other.

12-07-2003, 08:27 AM
wow...a lot has happened since i was asleep...this is y i havent been onto this site in about 3 months...i tell people the information to help them...then people fight me on it and say i am wrong...i am just trying to help people out im not trying to lie...i just say the information that i know then people say im wrong...y they do this i dont know...y would i lie to someone? its not like i work for any of these companies...and yes im sure colby knows a lot more then me about a lot of bikes...im sure he can diagnose stuff better then i can...and im sure he can fix things faster...does that mean he knows more about certain things...no...he is uninformed in some subjects...such as the sparks piston...you cant say its not different unless u have both...which i do...and as for y u think 1 is better then the other...really all of the pistons are about the same except wiesco...ross and JE are so similar you could barely tell the difference...most people say JE is more quality because they are one of the largest piston building companies in the US...they build them for cars, snowmobiles, atvs, pretty much nething...they have been in business a lot longer...which in theory would mean they have more experiance with what they are doing...it is all opinion...if u have ross u will say ross is better...if u have JE then u will say JE is better...i think the JE is better because thats all most of the big engine builders use...maybe JE pays them to use their pistons...who knows...i just state the facts i kno and my opinion...then people fight me on it...if u want to belive them then go ahead...if u want to believe me then believe me...at this point this site is getting filled with people that have no idea what they are talkin about then they come and fight the people that do know...your opinion is not a fact

bmw500hp
12-07-2003, 03:05 PM
chit man, a good argument, heck I been bored all day...after a bite of dinner I want in on this one....:devil:

It is true that the Sparks will mill the 12.5 and it's also an undisputably great piston any way you slice it!

There is still an un-answered question in the rumor or truth of the skirt on Sparks pistons are custom and if you prefer a flat top or a dome piston........:confused: any comments?

12-07-2003, 06:04 PM
i think they only come as flat...u may be able to get a dome...im not sure...they didnt ask which i wanted so i would assume all u can get is flat...seeing thats what they sent me...the rest of ur question im not quite understanding...:confused: