PDA

View Full Version : Gas overflow from carb

hydro
12-03-2003, 02:56 PM
When the gas is turned on either running or not my 400ex is pouring gas from the carb overflow hose. I took the carb apart but I don't see where or how to adjust the floatbowl hieght. Is this likely the problem or could it be somthing else causing this ? any help is appreciated.

chad

hondafox440
12-03-2003, 03:12 PM
Chances are the float is stuck open. When you reassembled it did you make sure the float was in correctly? It's a pretty stupid design the way that have that little pin holding it in, and I have had it fall out several times.

hydro
12-03-2003, 04:34 PM
I checked and it looks like everything with float bowl is good, made sure I put it back together right. I started it and rode it for 2 min and gas sarted flowing out the hose again.

still need help
Chad

wilkin250r
12-03-2003, 04:40 PM
Your float valve is obviously not closing all the way. Your valve might be damaged, floats not properly adjusted, or debris keeping the valve from fully closing.

I had a similar problem on a 250x. The problem turned out to be dirt in my carb and gas tank. The dirt would accumulate on the float valve so that when the floats would rise, the valve wouldn't close all the way.

You have obviously had your carb apart, did you clean it? Spray carb cleaner through every fuel passage to make sure there is no dirt getting through. Also, look at the float valve for possible damage or wear.

Aceman
12-03-2003, 11:18 PM
Check the needle and seat and make sure they close tightly also when the float is lifted all the way up. A worn out needle won't seal even if your float is adjusted correctly, gas will just keep flowing past it.

cals400ex
12-04-2003, 04:37 PM
i know they had problems with gas coming out of this on hills with the 99-00 400ex's. they changed the design a bit in 2001 and the problem has diminished. yours may just be dirty or damaged though.