PDA

View Full Version : Banshee???Whats wrong with em??

rhandw69
02-14-2002, 05:39 PM
Im quite sure im wanting to go ahead and get my wife the Alba banshee. Im just hesitant on all the mechanical failures that i hear about, What are the most common failures, besides bad shifting.
Now if you convince me that its not worth it, i will look at something else. I have a 400EX, so i dont want another 400 EX. Shes ridden a 400ex, a 300ex and a warrior. The 300 is to slow, the warrior is too rough. But we like the sound the power of the Banshee. QUestion is,,,where does a blaster fit into all this as far as power goes?
I keep hearing how Banshees arent good for trails and all. My question is WHY?? What is it about them that makes them this way?
THanks

kc 300EX
02-14-2002, 07:26 PM
If your wife doesnt like the 300EX or the Warrior, I SERIOUSLY doubt shed like a blaster, worst suspension out of all 3, Most people say blaster is faster than a 300, I have yet to seen this proved in real life, I seriously hate them, too small and cramped for me. Just my opinion

Mechanical failures on Banshee Ive had experiences with:
BAD chain adjustment
Bad air box/filter design, makes the jets get all clogged, its horrible ruins the whole day of riding
Friend always complains about how bad front shocks are, they dont seem tooo bad to me, but could use improvement

I dunno, I like the Banshee, cant beat the power, but I could never own one, Id buy a 400EX or a Raptor way b4 i got the Banshee

Maybe you should get her a Cannondale? Made in USA, light fast, starts at 7G

knighttime
02-14-2002, 07:35 PM
Don't get your wife a Banshee unless you are strickly dunes riders. Get this months ATV action Mag, and they have a good article on the Banshee. In all respect to the ladies reading this, I would doubt that there are a very very small percentage of female Banshee riders, unless they are duners. If you have to get the banshee, buy it for yourself and give her your 400ex.

Sleeping Catfish
02-14-2002, 07:47 PM
get her a raptor or a cannibal, but if you get her a cannibal she will leave you in the dust.;)

4punksdad
02-14-2002, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by Sleeping Catfish
get her a raptor or a cannibal, but if you get her a cannibal she will leave you in the dust.;)

catfish..........are you going to start this crap again already? you JUST got back from vacation.

4punksdad
02-14-2002, 08:53 PM
the banshee is a tempermental 2stroke. MOST riders like more user friendly equipment. the banshee requires constant clutch action & likes to be kept on the pipe. it is for very experienced riders only. it should not even be compared to a blaster, 300ex, or warrior.

rhandw69
02-14-2002, 09:24 PM
Well thanks for the input guys, but keep in mind that we are out here on the west coast so dune riding is number 1 priority to us. Im not worried about her riding abilities on it, and out here in the dunes you tend to find a large growing population of female riders on them. Hey, you cant tell me that it isnt sexy to see a hot chick bangin gears on a hot summer day.
Yeah, im not going for the Blaster, but i think we are still going to go with the banshee. Its just too much fun to not own one.
Thanks

Sleeping Catfish
02-14-2002, 09:33 PM
give your wife the 416 and you get a banshee.

"BLAHH"300!!
02-14-2002, 11:12 PM
look into the DS or the suzu' Z4' or the 660R
and c-dale 400's and all that too...banshee is kool i liked riding the one i rode...but it was mainly on sand at a river around here...
it is fun in the sand and has screamin top end maybe look for a good used 250r' ...but i'd perfer the 4stroke's..but you are in the dunes so....

out4sand
02-16-2002, 03:51 PM
If your going to ride the dunes most, I would say go for the Banshee! They rock in the dunes. The only real draw back, I have found is the airbox set up but just throw it in the trash and get a set of K&N's and you'll be set to begin with. If you already have a 400ex then you have a great bike to play with and a banshee will complete the set. Both my wife and I ride in the dunes and love both quads, we have a 400ex & Banshee. For the price of a Raptor or Cannonade you can have a new pretty pimped out Banshee even at showroom pricing. Something to consider if you are planning on buying new. I do agree that a banshee isn't a beginners quad but is your wife is good with the 400 I am sure she will no problem getting use to the different power of the banshee. My wife like's our 400ex better for all around riding but she loves to jump on the banshee, hit the throttle, and throw some serious sand.

http://out4sand.tripod.com

rhandw69
02-16-2002, 06:04 PM
First off,,
I think the Cannondales are ugly. Enough said on that. I know the raptor has alot of git up and go,,,,,,,,but hey,,,,,,so does my 400.
Out4Sand,
I think you pretty much hit it rite on the button with your reply, ,,,its nice to have the best both worlds. I 100% feel confident that she will be just fine on it. Trust me, she can hold her own when it comes to riding. Ive done alot of research and calling around, and really,,,this alba thing is the way to go. Stock out the door up here, im looking at rite around $6800
Stock out the door from Oregon, im looking at $5500 or somewhere around that figure. But still stock!
Now its going to be rite around $7100 after tax and everything from Alba. If I pay the tax. THe guy said that if i show a bill of lading to show im going to transport it out of California he wont charge me tax. Thats a good thing and a bad thing, because when i go to license it up here in washington, they will surely make me pay back the sales tax. However if i go ahead and pay the tax in cali, then im good to go. Not sure which ill do yet, but im definetely going to get it done. Thanks to all.
Rhan

trx400ex
02-16-2002, 08:11 PM
ill keep it simple

i have a banshee...my 400 got wrecked, so now i ride the shee.....well it was alot faster and better at everything IMHO except chain adjust ment and airbox.....then i go to ride the 400 today and im like where did it go...the thing was so slow i am havng trouble getting gettign used to it,, yes im serious,, i rode it all day and it got better...if you can have both that a good way to got....im thinkin about selling my 400 for a s troke (hon250r) now...hope i helped a little......oh yea i think its great in the trails, not a smooth, but at climbing hills it is the best ive riden ...later

WyoDuner
02-17-2002, 06:47 AM
rhandw69, I'm not sure what mechanicl failures you are hearing about but the Banshee has nothing that is prone to failure. The 2 biggest complaints (which I agree with) are the poor air filter set-up which is easy to correct and the poor chain adjustment procedure. I would go so far as to say that the Banshee is THE MOST RELIABLE quad when it comes to it's ability to take abuse. You can hillshoot, full-throttle, all day long and not worry about it. The engine is virtually bullet-proof if you run proper jetting and oil ratio. For the dunes, the Banshee is awesome. Even for other riding it is great as long as it isn't real slow-going rocky trails or the like.

02-17-2002, 07:28 AM
If your wife is agood rider get her nthe banshee. It has had some failures and it's a two stroke but i think it's worth it.:devil

rhandw69
02-17-2002, 10:56 AM
Thanks for the replys:
Im not an expert on Banshees, so im not too sure about the mechanical failures, so i think that most of that is all either what i hear or read. But then again, what bike doesnt have some flaw.
Wyoduner,
How is that riding down there in Walden Colorado? It looks like im going to be stationed there possibly this coming fall, not sure yet, but you never know.
Thanks
Rhan

BANSHEEadam
02-17-2002, 04:36 PM
Just want to comment on a few things.. first, what is wrong with the chain adjustment procedure? It's fricken easy. I don't have an airbox so I can't comment on that, but I can believe it would cause some trouble. Never ridden in dunes either. I mainly ride woods and trails with mine, and I have very little to complain about. Sure, the front shocks aren't the greatest- but they are ALOT better than my old 300. They are going to be replaced with some works soon anyway, so that problem is out of the way. I can't really think of anything else I don't like about it. I take care of it. When I got it, it hadn't been taken care of, and it showed. I put over $400 into it to get it in good shape again. As long as you give it a fair amount of TLC, you will have one heck of a quad. Just treat it like anything else.
Screw what everyone says about it not being good in the woods and that it's only for the dunes. Seriously, anyone who says that either
1. can't handle it's power
2. can't ride
3. is listening to what people who can't ride are saying
4. are biased and can't see that the banshee is God's greatest gift to atvers no matter where they ride.

I think you've already made up your mind, though. If you ever need help with something let me know.

If you're going to flame me and tell me my banshee sucks, save it. You aren't going to change my mind.

02-17-2002, 05:02 PM
hey 300exadam i got a few questions, does your banshee foul out a lot, is it a good trail machine?, Is it easy to ride with on trails? and How does it wheelie?

trx400ex
02-17-2002, 05:25 PM
the banshee wont whellie as much as a 400, thats a plus when your climbing a steep hill, but it can wheelie if you really want to ride a wheelie..my banshee has never fouled a plug,, that is what you hear from ppl who say they have banshees and really dont....like adam said people who say there not good in the woods just dont know what they are talking of....i would rather ride it than my 400 in the woods...although adam seems to be the biased one looking at his 4th reason;) , i owuldnt go that far, but the power is awesome, everyone should put some seat time on one before flaming, when i first got on mine, it took a few tries to get it to move, leting out the clutch to slow and it dying.....after a day, i can get it to start faster than the 400, none of that "the banshee will get you on top, but ill get you throught the first 3 gears",,,,none of that

BANSHEEadam
02-17-2002, 05:58 PM
hey 300exadam i got a few questions, does your banshee foul out a lot, is it a good trail machine?, Is it easy to ride with on trails? and How does it wheelie?

--Never fouled a plug- I've had it for over two months.

--Awesome trail machine, don't let anyone tell you different.

--It takes a day of riding to get used to it, at least it did for me. After that it's easy to ride anywhere

--Trx400ex is right in that it doesn't wheelie alot. The wheelbase is very long- any longer and it would've been an overkill.
When I first got it, it hardly ever wheelied. That was also due to bad axle carrier bearings which in turn burnt out the clutch. I fixed all that, and I changed my gearing alot. If you read my post on it you know just how much. Now it wheelies on command up to 3rd gear, and today I went through 3 gears wheelying. I'm switchin back to 13t front sprocket though- it has too much low end.

lol I know my 4th reason may have hinted some bias, but if everyone else can do it I can too.

If you have any other questions let me know.

DiceMan400
02-17-2002, 11:38 PM
I loved my banshee when I had it....... They are great all around...... Those damn front shocks:mad: ..... They are alittle more of a workout on track and trail than the 400 but they are still fun as **** to ride....... Cant beat the power band..... Way better than a 250r....... The only complaint I have is the suspention and they dont jump as well as my 400 but close enough......:cool:

out4sand
02-18-2002, 10:10 AM
Add a few bolt on parts and you can wheelie all you want!

:D

02-18-2002, 11:01 AM
i agree that the banshee is a dune bike, i went to the trails the other day and yet only saw one banshee there, but a women was riding though...:rolleyes:

Chef
02-18-2002, 12:50 PM
Hey Out4sand, is that picture at winchester bay? If it is, I've been up that hill...alot harder than it looks. There are some nasty climbs down there..

out4sand
02-18-2002, 01:13 PM
Nope, it's actually from Sand Lake but like you said the hill is a lot tougher then it looks in the picture.
Winchester rocks though, ton's of sweet hill climbs and monster dunes. Can't wait for spring weather to get here so I can head out and ride more!

http://out4sand.tripod.com

WyoDuner
02-19-2002, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by rhandw69
Wyoduner,
How is that riding down there in Walden Colorado? It looks like im going to be stationed there possibly this coming fall, not sure yet, but you never know.

Walden is not a very big place but if you live in the area it's the closest sand dunes; I think there's 800 to 1000 acres of dunes. It has some VERY steep hillclimbs but not that long. Lots of trees around which is nice in the summer when it's hot or hails/rains on you. There are a lot of trails in the hills behind the dunes. It gets PACKED on the holiday weekends, especially Memorial and Labor day. Stay away in July because it is hot there and the mosquitos will eat you alive; well don't stay away but be prepared.

Where do you think you will be stationed?

rhandw69
02-20-2002, 12:51 PM
Peterson AFB in COlorado Springs. We were stationed there about 6 years ago.

Warrioreater400ex
02-22-2002, 10:49 PM
rhand, i hope your good with a wrench and sockets... not flaming, but the 3 guys i know that own banshees, have to replace the top end about ever 3 months or so, maybe its just they way they rigde, but 2 of them are very experience riders. but they are just a lot of work...... GET THIS MONTHS ATV ACTION, it will help a LOT in your decision. for the dunes... check out the DS650 baja... in the dunes those rip pretty good....

but heres my opinion, yammie should come out with a MILLENIUM EDITION BANSHEE, updated suspension, an updated frame, airbox, etc... that would RIP.

BANSHEEadam
02-23-2002, 09:51 PM
Every 3 months? lol.. do they run them wide open on the interstate for hours on end? Not flamin you at all but a mandatory rebuild every 3 months is a little crazy. If it's by their own choice to do it... that's another story. Wish I could afford to do that.

FastHonda400ex
02-24-2002, 01:49 AM
Hi Rhan,
Did you get a Banshee yet? I'm looking to trade my $8,000+ 96 Banshee for a 4 stroke like a 400EX. Let me know if you're interested in looking at some pics of my Banshee and I will email you them.

My Banshee has the following mods:

Pure Sport Bandit XC radial tires in the rear(new)
Pure Sport Bandit front tires(new)
ITP aluminum wheels-rear
Douglas aluminum wheels-front
New rear axle bearings and seals
LRD brake block off plate
Stainless brake lines (front and rear)
New brake pads (front and rear)
PRM swingarm skidplate
Belly skidplate
Graydon Proline chrome pipes
FMF Turbine Core 2 spark arrestor silencers
AC Racing six pack rack
AC Racing Nerf bars with blue nets
Fly handle bars with YZ blue scott grips
Trail tech computer
MSR clutch perch and lever
Pro Design tether kill switch
Cascade billet handle bar clamp
Hide a key bracket (mounts key under seat)
Billet Gas Cap
Custom Billet gas cap vent
New Barnett dirt digger clutch
Cascade shift star
Cascade billet gear shifter
Pro Design Water Pump Impeller
Pro Design EZ Drain water pump plate
Pro Design In line super cooler
+4 degree advanced timing plate
New Pro Design Cool Head with 20cc domes
Cascade blue, white and black seat cover
Factory Effex graphics kit
Travis Racing chrome radiator shrouds
UPP chain slider
Todd Davis case saver
K & N Air Filter with Outerwear and UMI adapter plate
Outerwear Air Box lid cover
Motion Pro Tors Eliminator kit and idle screw kit
Boyesen Pro Series Reeds
Pingle Fuel Valve with dual fuel filters
Custom Innovations Billet axle nut
New kick starter and shifter shaft seals
25, 27.5 and 30 pilot jets
200 to 300 main jets
Aftermarket spark plug boots
Maxima Coolanol coolant
White Bros boost bottle

Thanks,
Doug

WyoDuner
02-24-2002, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by BlastrEatr300ex
rhand, i hope your good with a wrench and sockets... not flaming, but the 3 guys i know that own banshees, have to replace the top end about ever 3 months or so, maybe its just they way they rigde....

Every 3 years would be often. Are you sure your friends know that they need to mix oil with their gas???

Another uninformed rumor. No they don't need rebuild often, no they don't foul plugs (I change plugs once per year just for good measure), no, they don't break often, Yes, you can ride them on the trails, Yes, they will stomp the crap out of almost anything out there.

4punksdad
02-25-2002, 03:55 AM
i rode one yesterday. very quick bike........alot of fun out in the wide open.

rhandw69
02-25-2002, 08:58 AM
Ok, this should put some end to this post:

I wont claim to be an expert on quad riding or quads in general but i have enough knowledge to know that riding is just riding.Now i realize that each and every bike out there has some sort of advatage and disadvantage over another bike. Ok,,so lets just say the 400 has excellent handling ability, we all know that, so are we all just going to be blind to the fact that its not possible for another bike to handle well as well just because its a yamaha and a 2 stroke?? I figure that the banshee has been around since what,,,,87? If it was really that bad, then it wouldnt still be around. If it was ONLY good for the dunes, than i would never hear about people owning them in the midwest. Now if this was a banshee site,,, and i wrote how i was going to get a 400 here is what most of the posts would read:

1. They handle good but they are slow
2. Takes alot of money just to bring it up with the other big boys.
3. Not enough top end.

yada yada yada yada!!
So,, they are 2 stroke,,,and so they might foul a plug (which id rather change it in that motor than mine) and so they are a yamaha,,,,,,,,,,,,like i said before,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,i could be walking!!

FastHonda400ex
02-25-2002, 12:26 PM
Hey Rhan,
Didn't you see my post about my banshee? I was wondering if you would be interested in it? Let me know...

Thanks,
Doug

beerock
02-25-2002, 12:35 PM
if your gonna buy a new banshee, you could take that money and buy a trx 250r, and have the best of both worlds.

and think of it this way, the 400ex and the 250r can switch rims and a couple of other things.

and there both hondas!!!

JustRace
02-25-2002, 12:57 PM
Beerock, you are starting to sound exactly like sleeping catfish when he talks about the c-dale. Just lay off the 250r is god thing.

beerock
02-25-2002, 01:27 PM
im not acting like 250r is god, but this guy wants a bike that handles like a 400 but has more power.

the obvious choice would be a 250r:rolleyes:

plus this guy has a 400ex, so buying a honda would reap some benefits.

switching tires/rims, a-arms, brakes,

its a wise decision to get the same brand for that purpose.

but its still my opinion.

I didnt see anyone mention the 250r, So I am.

for the new price of a banshee you could build a R

Don try to say im acting like catfish.

I give good info to people on this board, I have even saved some people from doing really stupid crap.

when I talk about what bike people should get off course im gonna tell them to get a R. its my opinon. so can it!:eek:

beerock
02-25-2002, 01:33 PM
by the way here is my R:

I was wondering why cant I post a pic anymore with the [IMG tag?
Anyone know?
pm me.

02-25-2002, 01:41 PM
don't get a 250r. i owned one and it's not worth the hassal..hahahahaha..i laugh everytime i see that picture..hey..is the powercore IV on there

yellowrider
02-25-2002, 02:10 PM
My friend got a banshee just a couple of days ago... i love them to death!! it was completly stock "the first one i ever rode that was stock" and it is just awesome i would buy a banshee over a 250r any day..

why not try this.

get a used banshee just put new shocks on it instead of getting a 250r that like 15 years old and rebuilding the motor and putting new shocks on it .. cause you know after 15 years those shocks are going to be wore out...

* i rather get a banshee *

2002 300ex for sale
w/b pro meg
kn airfilter
jets
outerwear
all traks
asking 5,000

beerock
02-25-2002, 02:53 PM
rhandw69, it is your decision to make.

yamaha has alot of undesireable problems.

I cant stand everyone talking about how a 250r is 15 years old. If you build one form the ground up, it is brand new.(alot of 250r's for sale have been completely rebuilt) -you have to look around though.(you also have to know what to look for)

that guy LRD had a 250r and always had problems. Thats because he didnt know what he was doing. PLAIN AND SIMPLE.

By the way, LRD you can laugh all you want about my bike, point is your so stupid you think looks are all that counts.
give it a rest mcgrath sux-LRD whoever you are...

Banshees are great to ride, lord knows how many I have ridden.But the ergonomics are not as comfortable as a 400ex or a 250r. thats my opinion

you could wait for the suzuki 400 to come out though.(actually I think it is out and dealers are taking orders, not sure though)

I'd say wait for honda to bring a new quad to the plate but its gonna be a while. (sort of like ordering a frame from rolldesign or shocks from pep)

02-25-2002, 03:21 PM
yes, honda dealer don't know how to rebuild top-ends..so that brings up the point that beerock has to build your motors if you have a 250r to. he's also suggested the use of a 4 stroke pipe on them.

JustRace
02-25-2002, 03:57 PM
Well I actually agree with beerock about building the 250r. The 250r I had was all different year parts. The guy that owned it before me just went from place to place picking the best parts and built the 250r. It had a 88 frame a 89 motor in it other mixing year parts like that.

And beerock when I was comparing you to catfish I just saying how you always say the 250r is the best and how he always says the c-dale is the best. I was in no way comparing you're knowledge to his.

beerock
02-26-2002, 04:53 PM
four stroke pipe? I never said that lrd you wanker.

oh ok just race, I am block headed when it comes to the 250r.

stevengates45
03-05-2002, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by 4punksdad
the banshee requires constant clutch action & likes to be kept on the pipe. it is for very experienced riders only. it should not even be compared to a blaster, 300ex, or warrior.

couldnt have been said any better

banshees are alot of fun though, talk about alot of speed! they're the best drag bike you can get. banshees are more of a race bike than a play bike though.

beerock
03-05-2002, 07:20 PM
I never seen this happen to a honda.......

WyoDuner
03-06-2002, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by beerock
I never seen this happen to a honda.......

What, you've never seen some take a hacksaw to a Honda A-arm. Hmmm, me neither. Or are you saying that you never say a teeny tiny close up picture of a very small section of a Honda A-arm that was possibly wrecked. Oh, wait, I get it now, you never saw somebody put a Yamaha shock cover on a Honda... Again, neither have I.

Why not spare me the suspense and tell me what it is that you never saw happen to a Honda.

"BLAHH"300!!
03-06-2002, 01:24 PM
.....to the swingarm on a banshee once......found a nice streight spot and cut it....on both sides..and welded 4 extra inches on the stock swinger:huh..what.....yep...still rides it...well it's for sale now i think it might have sold though not sure....it's a good weld he rode it untill he sold it to a car dealership....hasn't craked..but i wouldn't do it......

Scott
03-06-2002, 01:24 PM
I know where there is a 400 that had an arm break after about 3 hours of riding. Everybody has parts fail, it's not isolated to one brand.

I'm willing to admit that the 250R was a great machine, but if the thing could walk on water, wouldn't Honda still be selling them?

03-09-2002, 04:03 PM
if the banshee has pipes on it, shel burn ur 416, id get the shee, and give her the 416.

Nausty
03-09-2002, 04:17 PM
beerock: he said that he didn't want to buy a 250r because of they are 15 years old and problems are bound to happen if it isn't fully rebuilt almost, but that costs money. Which is cheaper a banshee or building a 250r from the ground up and still not have the power of the banshee unless he wants to spend even more big bucks. What is the big deal of the a arm on the yamaha broken? I would think if you run into a tree or something at a high speed then its bound to break. I can find some pics off the net of quads that are totalled from falling off the the back of a truck or rolling down a hill, flying into a tree, ect. of all brands. Just because he wants a yamaha whats the big deal? It doesn't really affect you does it?

beerock
03-09-2002, 05:56 PM
no it doesnt effect me

Im a pusher.

yo man I need some quads, what you got?

i only got honda man, how much you want?

only honda what about yamaha?

nah man, I dont sell that stuff. seen to many people down and out from that quad.

so you want a dime of honda or what?

rider250ex
03-15-2002, 07:13 PM
4punksdad why do u think the banshee is so bad for an inexperincad rider. its not a beginner quad, but i am 14 years old have been ridin for 1 year and only 5 foot 110 pounds and can ride it fine. as long as there are no mods its fine.

03-15-2002, 07:59 PM
maybe if you got a banshee and put some powercore IV mufflers on it it would be as good as a 250R....LOL

for some reason i've never got to ride a banshee. but i think there cool. i'd rather have a 400.WHAT EVER FLOATS YOU BOAT!

4punksdad
03-16-2002, 04:58 AM
Originally posted by rider250ex
4punksdad why do u think the banshee is so bad for an inexperincad rider. its not a beginner quad, but i am 14 years old have been ridin for 1 year and only 5 foot 110 pounds and can ride it fine. as long as there are no mods its fine.

you might be able to ride it just fine.........but in one year of riding you have not seen all of the different types of obstacles you will encounter while riding. the banshee might suprise you one day when you are in a hairy situation, and it could be dangerous. then again.........maybe you were born with the talent to ride 70mph through the woods?
:D
I am just saying, the banshee is no 250EX. Its a serious machine that can get you hurt if you don't know what you are doing. the last thing we need is more injuries on quads.

Warrioreater400ex
03-17-2002, 09:49 PM
AMEN 4punks, im 15 and have been riding for 12 years! and Banshees STILL scare the piss outta me!!! i mean i will ride them, and i might max one out on a straightaway, but i dont dare push my limits on (1) an unfamiliar machine (2) something that fast and quick AND unfamiliar.

4punksdad
03-20-2002, 06:43 PM
thats good thinking...........a clear mind will save your butt in alot of cases.:cool: