PDA

View Full Version : How to Lighten up the pull on a FCR 39??

NacsMXer
12-03-2003, 11:15 AM
Anybody know a good trick to lighten up the pull on a FCR 39? Which spring should I shave if I were to do it? Mine just takes its toll on my thumb after about 5 laps at the MX track. My thumb just locks up over time and it becomes difficult to hang on after a while. Ive almost crashed twice because of the fatigue. Thanks:(

YFZ450LAS
12-03-2003, 11:29 AM
check out this thread from "yfzcentral"

http://www.yfzcentral.com/invision/index.php?act=ST&f=2&t=1948&hl=thumb&

NacsMXer
12-03-2003, 11:48 AM
Thanks, but it really did not tell me what to cut down. They just said to use a 400EX throttle instead. Any other suggestions?

4TraxRider
12-03-2003, 11:53 AM
Make sure that your throttle cable is always lubed, it won't make it easier, but it won't let it get harder.

86atc250r
12-03-2003, 11:55 AM
If your FCR throttle pull is stiff, get a new cable... I use a cable from a TRX300 utility quad. My FCR has a great throttle pull.

I also don't bother lubing cables - I found that once they have grit in them or are worn, no amount of lube will correct the problem (like mentioned above). You may be able to make the cable move freely when neither end is connected, but when it's under load, it will drag. Just replace your cables once a season or so - they're not very expensive.

Also keep in mind that many complaints about thumb fatigue are not related to the throttle pull itself, but are more related to the relationship of the thumb throttle assembly to your hand - ie, the adjustment.

seatec
12-03-2003, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by 4TraxRider
Make sure that your throttle cable is always lubed, it won't make it easier, but it won't let it get harder.

now, that is sound advice.

NacsMXer
12-03-2003, 11:58 AM
Maybe ill check the cable out. But I dont think that is the problem because it and the carb are only about half a season old and theres no kinks or anything in it. Its just from the thumb throttle down direct to the throttle pulley on the carb.

86atc250r
12-03-2003, 12:02 PM
You'd be surprised at the difference a new cable can make....

Ask yourself this - were you happy with the pull when it was all new? If so, buy a new cable now.

NacsMXer
12-03-2003, 12:07 PM
Odd thing is, the pull has always been of the same difficulty. I got the cable and carb from Sparks by the way. What quad would be the best to get a cable from?

86atc250r
12-03-2003, 12:12 PM
The Honda TRX300 utility quad cable is much higher quality & lasts longer than the motion pro cable most people package with the aftermarket FCRs.

I've also heard a YFZ450 cable works nicely on a 400EX, but I have difficulty seeing any reason in putting a Yamaha part on a perfectly good Honda :)

Colby@C&DRacing
12-03-2003, 12:13 PM
we sell new fcr throttle cables for $20. You also may want to use a moose easy pull throttle that is what dusty uses with her fcr and loves it

pnut420
12-03-2003, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by Colby@C&DRacing
we sell new fcr throttle cables for $20. You also may want to use a moose easy pull throttle that is what dusty uses with her fcr and loves it

My brother bought the Moose from you guys and he loves it. It is pricey but the adjustability is awesome though, much shorter throw than the stock, but it has a longer lever to pull it easier... If your cable is in good shape than get a Moose throttle, modding the spring isnt the best idea, it has that much tension for a reason.

86atc250r
12-03-2003, 01:09 PM
The short throttle pull on an FCR is one of it's best advantages --- that is, if you use it properly.

By extending the pull, you put your thumb at a more awkward angle and open up your grip under light throttle conditions - you also have to depress the throttle further under full throttle - this leads to fatigue.

With the FCR, you can take advantage of it's short throttle pull by rotating the throttle to where it angles up - by doing this you can "split the difference" and not have to press the throttle as far under full throttle and not have to open your grip as much under full throttle.

This may not sound like much, but experience shows this the difference between experiencing thumb fatigue and not experiencing any at all during a 2hr harescramble or at the 12hrs of America....

FWIW, the OEM TRX300 throttle cable from Servicehonda is about $16