PDA

View Full Version : squeeky steering

DangerousDean
12-02-2003, 11:18 PM
My steering on my 400ex is super sqeeky, i know its coming from ...the stem ????
I would call it the steer tube.. the part that goes into the rubber bushing, it sqeeks alot.. and its pissing me off, i can hear it even when im riding ( at slower speeds)really annoying, and it feels like its kind of sticky the steering...

What can i do about this?

JOEX
12-02-2003, 11:53 PM
Just remove the bushing, clean out the crud dab a little grease in there and put it back together. No more squeek:)

Joe

batgeek
12-02-2003, 11:55 PM
white lithium grease :)

doesn't break down easily, doesn't deteriorate petrolium products(rubber stuff), and is 100% waterproof!

muff
12-03-2003, 05:01 AM
Originally posted by batgeek
white lithium grease :)

doesn't break down easily, doesn't deteriorate petrolium products(rubber stuff), and is 100% waterproof!

ditto, I believe this is what it comes with from the factory

waterproof grease works too if you dont have the white lithium grease

DangerousDean
12-03-2003, 07:56 AM
How do i remove the bushing?

take off the steering colum?

stupid driver
12-03-2003, 09:25 AM
it just bolts on there i believe

12-03-2003, 12:05 PM
i use the white lithium grase too...it can get a little messy though, it will still squeek for a few minutes after you spray it on there b/c after you turn it for a while it breaks down into there & makes it stop

F-16Guy
12-03-2003, 12:16 PM
You'll probably have to unbolt and move your front plastic for better access. Once you can get to it, just take the two bolts out of the upper steering shaft bracket, remove the forward bracket half, pull the steering shaft forward, and remove the bushing. Clean, lube, and reinstall using a little medium loc-tite (blue) on the two bolts.