PDA

View Full Version : Lead additive

cat_crap
12-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Is there a fuel additive to protect your atv (high proformance) motor? I herd that lead additive or a lead substitute will protect your motor. Some drag cars use this.

Just curious

bradley300
12-02-2003, 10:13 PM
i dont know what all lead additive does. if you want a lead additive, try a tractor supply place. alot of old tractors run on leaded fuel, thus needing an additive since you cant by leaded fuel at the pump

cat_crap
12-02-2003, 10:38 PM
I heard it coats the inside of the engine which helps on the wear of the motor. anyone ever heard this.

UglyMotha™
12-03-2003, 07:33 AM
i run 76 leaded race fuel i get that from the pump at perkins its a local fuel depot but lead does coat the inside of the motor i guess it helps on wear but i think the big factor is it helps the motor to run cooler

F-16Guy
12-03-2003, 07:37 AM
Lead is used as a lubricant in fuel, it also raises the octane number. If you can run leaded fuel, it definitely wouldn't hurt, but all of the parts that used to require lead as a cushion/lubricant have been hardened (valve seats, etc.). That's what is meant by leaded and unleaded heads in older cars. You can still buy leaded fuel at your local municipal airport, but it must be pumped into a container.