PDA

View Full Version : emancipation

TheX1992
12-02-2003, 09:43 PM
im 17 in 8 days (the 11th). do i still have to get emancipated to move out? i got into a big fight with my dad. my mom says its my fault hes like this. all started with my truck. i paid for truck, parts, insurance, gas, everything. i was putting in a new slave cylinder at school and one of my engine mounts broke (you see my truck im parting out in the for sale section). he found out, and threw a s*** fit. he tore *** out of the driveway squealin the tires, came back, threw my parts across the shop (not the ones im selling of course), and hasnt talked to me since. in fact an hour ago was the first time i was even in the same room as him since then, and that was only to make dinner for 5 minutes. hes REAL violent. my mom is no help though either. so my girlfriends dad said that i can have the spair bedroom of the house until im on my feet again. i wont have to pay rent or anything. and he is going to let me use his other car for work. i looked it up and the rules of emancipation are:

1. get married
2. join the military
or
3. prove to the judge in court that you can survive on your own.

i have a job, i have been paying my own bills (gas, insurance, cell phone, etc..) for a while so i can manage.

what do you guys think? my dad wants me OUT, and to tell you the truth, id be more than happy to leave.

Bill Fuller
12-02-2003, 09:50 PM
Pack up and leave than.All he can do is try to stop you and if he don't than your on your own kid.I left when I was 17 myself.He could be a arse and report you as unruly or a runaway though.Life is alot harder than you think and being on your own doesn't make it any easier.Atleast your girlfriends family supports your choice,be thankfull you have a place to turn.Good luck!!

TheX1992
12-02-2003, 09:51 PM
because i cant fix it. im not pulling the motor, welding a RUSTED frame, and hoping it holds.

well, when i went to get it registered, the weekend before that i told him i would pay for it friday when i got paid. he said no dont worry ill take care of it thursday when i get paid. so i said okay thanks. he comes home *****ing that he HAD to pay for it. need i say more

remlapr
12-02-2003, 10:01 PM
If your parents don't care and you have somewhere else that you would rather live, then just move. I don't think you don't need to get emancipated unless you want to leave and they don't want you to. My step sister moved out when she was 17. She had an Aunt that was willing to let her move in so she just moved. They didn't switch custody over to the Aunt or anything...

TheX1992
12-02-2003, 10:05 PM
im just looking at the legal issues of it. because if i leave, im not coming back. my girlfriend said that i could have her dad be a legal guardian of me. but i said that is to close to incest for lol. i need to know if he can legally keep me there, and legally put me under his insurance policy for the car, and all that good stuff.

Narly R
12-02-2003, 10:06 PM
I dont think moving out will make things any better...:ermm:

TheX1992
12-02-2003, 10:07 PM
Pappy, if your reading this, i remember in one of your old posts you said 'i moved out when i was 16. didnt have a choice'. fill me in. what did you have to go through?

TheX1992
12-02-2003, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
I dont think moving out will make things any better...:ermm:

theres days that go by when i tell them i have to work when i really dont just because i dont want to go home to him...not because of anger, but because of fear. like i said, he is real violent. ive even spent a few nights sleeping in my car because i had no other place to go. anything besides this is better.

SGA
12-02-2003, 10:13 PM
I deleted my other post and will answer your question the best I can. I believe you can move out legally at 17, against your parents say so, if you can prove to the court if it is the best thing.
Many people move out when they are 17 and stay with relatives or friends. They never go to court about it. Thats only if its ok with your parents. Good luck.

TheX1992
12-02-2003, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by SGA
I deleted my other post and will answer your question the best I can. I believe you can move out legally at 17, against your parents say so, if you can prove to the court if it is the best thing.
Many people move out when they are 17 and stay with relatives or friends. They never go to court about it. Thats only if its ok with your parents. Good luck.

so if they say 'dont let the door hit you in the *** on the way out' its legal but if they say 'get back here no your not' i have to get emancipated?

Narly R
12-02-2003, 10:17 PM
Well then you must have it worse then i think. I hope all works out. I guess if you could get a fresh start that is best. Just make the RIGHT choices man. You cant afford many mistakes when you are on your own, so get a job, try to get a good one, and be ready to work. Good luck, and be safe!:)

TheX1992
12-02-2003, 10:19 PM
Originally posted by Narly R
Well then you must have it worse then i think. I hope all works out. I guess if you could get a fresh start that is best. Just make the RIGHT choices man. You cant afford many mistakes when you are on your own, so get a job, try to get a good one, and be ready to work. Good luck, and be safe!:)

im going to be laying concrete again in the summer and working for my friends dad selling dog food for around 8.00 an hour til then :rolleyes:

Narly R
12-02-2003, 10:31 PM
Laying conctete sucks! But 8 bucks a hour is better than minimum wage. as long as you are doing sumthin man. Its too bad your dad has to be like that!:(

Good Luck, talk to ya later.

TheX1992
12-03-2003, 06:33 AM
ya it does. by the end of the summer you are one ripped sum-bish though. last summer i worked with my other friends dad doing it..basically just labor. its alright. good money

stace609
12-03-2003, 08:38 AM
Word of advice, even if you are emancipated or married you're still treated like a kid. After I got married my husband had to sign for me when i got my CA license and the doctor wouldn't treat me unless he signed for me. You still can't get a job that calls for 18+ etc.

airheadedduner
12-03-2003, 09:35 AM
Be sure to recognize and appreciate what your g/f's parents are doing for you. You are luckey they made such a gererous offer. I think SGA is right. One of my firends moved out at 17. I think you can move out at 17 but your parents can't really kick you out till you are 18 or have resonable cause.:confused: Good luck.

TheX1992
12-03-2003, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by airheadedduner
Be sure to recognize and appreciate what your g/f's parents are doing for you. You are luckey they made such a gererous offer.

oh you can be sure i do. i couldnt ask for more. i didnt even ask for this. he heard what happened and offered it to me. its nice to be in good with their parents sometimes :)

wilkin250r
12-03-2003, 10:05 AM
Just move out. Lots of kids move out at 16 and 17 without getting emancipated.

The only time it could be a problem is if your parents WANT to keep you in the house. Not to say that that your parents want to be rid of you forever, but I don't think they are going to put up a big fight if you want to move out.

If they DO put up a big fight, THEN go through the emancipation process. But that process takes time, all legal processes do. I wouldn't go through the legal process if you don't HAVE to.

TheX1992
12-03-2003, 02:37 PM
alright. thanks for the help guys. dont stop now your on a roll lol. i really appreciate all this info

derekhonda
12-03-2003, 06:13 PM
we j ust talked about this in my business law class. Basically, emancipation makes someone under 18 have the rights of an 18 year old for legal reasons. If you were 17, and wanted to rent an apartment, or buy a car, you couldnt, because you are 17, and not an adult and so your signature dont mean jack. If you are emancipated, you can however do everything something as an adult would, (still might have a hard time getting loans if you dont have a credit history though)

Narly R
12-03-2003, 06:20 PM
j/w how old do you have to be to get a emancipation?

TheX1992
12-03-2003, 06:31 PM
14 to be emancipated, and if you are emancipated when you are 17 you can drop out of school...thats what i read

JUSTINcredible
12-03-2003, 06:34 PM
Originally posted by TheX1992
14 to be emancipated, and if you are emancipated when you are 17 you can drop out of school...thats what i read

I dont think dropping out of school would be in your best intrest if u are going to be on your own;)

TheX1992
12-03-2003, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by JUSTINcredible
I dont think dropping out of school would be in your best intrest if u are going to be on your own;)

thats the last thing on my mind...its not happening