PDA

View Full Version : rebuilt engine trouble

polabareus
12-02-2003, 09:08 PM
I had the top end on my 84 200es big red rebuilt. The thing is it smokes before its warmed up. At first I thought this would work itself out (maybe rings needed to break in or whatever) but I've now ran a full tank of gas through it and it still smokes considirably until its warmed up. Any thoughts?

cat_crap
12-02-2003, 09:42 PM
did you change the valve seals? if not, one might be leaking. This alows oil to seap past the seal and when the engine is fired up it burns off, which smokes until the oil is burnt off. Just a thought.

polabareus
12-02-2003, 09:58 PM
sounds like a good start , anyother possibilities?

stupid driver
12-02-2003, 10:13 PM
i am guessing that it is the valve seal as well. Oil is leaking in through the seals while the motor sits. When you fire it up, the oil is burnt off, which would be the reason of the smoke. But, valve seals are a relatively easy fix

polabareus
12-03-2003, 04:24 PM
well thats not so bad, I need to adjust the valves anyway (ticking noise). Now, I've never actually adjusted the valves and don't even know what they look like so I ordered the cylmer service manual and Im sure that should walk me through it. But if I understand correctly all I have to do to get to the valves is take off the top end (cylinder)? And I know I'll need some kind of special tool I don't have so can anyone tell me what tools I will need to adjust the valves?

cals400ex
12-04-2003, 05:04 PM
for replacing valve seal, you won't have to take off the cylinder. you just need to remove the head. the valve springs will need to be removed from the head, so yes a tool will be needed.

polabareus
12-04-2003, 05:33 PM
Are the valves normally including in a top end rebuild. Because if they are then this is something the shop that rebuilt my engine should do, right? Because it didn't smoke before the rebuild and now it does.

stupid driver
12-05-2003, 10:36 AM
valve seals are usually included in top end rebuilds. If it didnt smoke before, take it back to the shop

skemp
12-05-2003, 10:15 PM
I know a guy that got a Raptor out of a dealer after a rebuild with no valve seals in it. Amazing the service you get for $75/hr.

I would bring it back into the shop to have them fix it. They should definitely warrant their work esepcially if it did this after you got it from them. To adjust the valves you will need general garage mechanic tools, and a feeler gauge to measure the clearance. This is an index of thin strips of metal marked at different thicknesses anywhere between .0015-.025" usually. Can be had at most any hardware store. Other than that a manual will walk you through it.