PDA

View Full Version : all 250r riders

wwclea01
12-02-2003, 10:47 AM
Should I trade a 2002 300 ex that has a pipe and that is pretty much it for a 1988 250r that is in pretty good shape. I dont know if it would be a good trade. I am wanting to race in harescrambles and I dont really know if a 250r has the power that I want. I have never rode one. I was wondering if I could have your alls feed back on them. Are they good in the woods and climbing hills.

spliffy
12-02-2003, 10:59 AM
If the R is in good shape & has any kind of suspension mods & motor mods... & runs good... I would trade it, I love my R & I traded some cash & a 250X for it & its the best thing I have every done when it comes to wheelers. There is almost no limit (besides money heh) to the mods you can do to it & alot of them are inexpensive ways to make big power gains. I dunno what you paid for your 300ex but I would assume you would only get around $3000-$3500 for it if you sold it outright... if the R seems to be worth that much I would say go for it. Also, R's will hold value more than a 300ex. The 1 question I would have for the guy that wants to trade for a 300ex is... why? Maybe there is something wrong with it?? just a concern thats all. The guy the traded me for my 250x needed a putter around wheeler & he realized that the r is not that wheeler heh.

spliffy
12-02-2003, 11:07 AM
Also... I have never been much into hill climbing but I would assume they would do great & woods.... forget about it... THEY ROCK THRU THE WOODS, I love riding my R thru the tight woods :devil: the thing handles like you are part of the machine... not the rider.

wwclea01
12-02-2003, 12:15 PM
I believe that this guy would want to trade for the same reason. He is an older man. The only thing done to the 250r is it has a pipe. Would the stock suspension be better than that of a 300ex.

Motoman440
12-02-2003, 01:00 PM
Not much on hill climbs but love riding my R balz out through the woods and tracks!!!! Difference in bikes is basically low end torque. On a 2 stroke ya gotta keep it in the band to get the power which could be dangerous in the woods because of the risk of hitting trees, etc when the band kicks in. Out on a track it's not an issue due to lack of trees being in your way when that band kicks in. 4 stroke in the woods is much safer and probably on the track as well. It's a more controlable type power than a 2 stroke. You'll get more low end torque with the 4 stroke thats usually needed for the woods. I'm gettin older (37) and I love ridin my R but the day is coming where I'll be gettin another 4 stoke cause I just can't hang on like I used to be able too. I'd say if the R is in good shape and runs well, TRADE.

brokeitin3
12-02-2003, 01:06 PM
37???:rolleyes: you must have had one hard life

Motoman440
12-02-2003, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by brokeitin3

It's that da** R beatin the crap outta me!!!:D

k2-dawg
12-02-2003, 01:15 PM
http://www.ricoracing.netfirms.com/Smilies/blahblah.gif

LTandRaptorider
12-02-2003, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by brokeitin3

Yeah, what do you mean 37 is old?? :confused: I'm a year and a half away from 40, race my LT and Raptor. Course I never claimed to be very bright... :o

CHAR250R
12-03-2003, 10:22 AM
If you trade your 300ex for that 250r, I don't think you'll be dissapointed. Once you set it up for the woods, you'll wonder why you didn't get a 250R sooner. I say trade him. :D

beak7707
12-03-2003, 10:29 AM
I own them both, and the R is way better. It is like night and day between the 300 and the R. My 300 will be up for sale soon, because i only ride the R now. I would trade if i was you.

wilkin250r
12-03-2003, 11:05 AM
The stock suspension on the 250r is much better than the 300EX.

The 250r has WAY more power than the 300EX.

The 250r holds is value better than the 300EX.

Way more mods out there for the 250r.

The ONLY advantages the 300EX has is the electric start, reverse, and a smooth 4-stroke powerband.

If you have never ridden a two-stroke, I'll give you a basic run-down. When you first hit the gas, a four-stroke starts moving nice and easy. You give it more gas, and it goes faster. If you don't give it more gas, it doesn't go any faster. It has a nice smooth powerband.

A two-stroke isn't quite as simple. When you first give it just a little gas, it lugs, and doesn't have ANY power. It barely moves. Give it a little more gas, and things don't get much better. You give it lots of gas just to get it moving. Then suddenly, the engine hits a certain rpm, an the bike COMES ALIVE! Suddenly you are on a rocketship! This thing is REALLY fast! The motor is screaming, and if this is your first time, YOU'RE screaming TOO! This thing is out of control! What a dangerous machine!

So, this is a brief account of your first ride. But now you're grinning from ear to ear. Within a few rides, you get used to the powerband. It's fun, you learn to control it. With just a blip of your throttle, you can spin your wheels and leave your friends in the dust. And the faster you push it, the better the suspension handles. Why would you ever think about riding anything else?

So, is the 250r worth the trade? Heck yeah! I'd be worried that you're getting scammed, like maybe something is wrong with the 250r. If it turns out that nothing is wrong with the 250r, you just made the best deal of your life!

wwclea01
12-03-2003, 12:33 PM
If I was too leave the bike pretty much stock for a while other than the pipe it has than would it be a good bike for using in xc racing. Do stock breaks work very well.

wwclea01
12-03-2003, 12:39 PM
Also how bad are they on gas. I had a blaster that had a pipe silencer, reeds, billet spacer plate, and a bigger keihn curberator and it sucked the gas. It also ate the plugs for some reason. Do 250r do the same thing

wilkin250r
12-03-2003, 02:19 PM
Stock breaks are pretty good, they are dual piston calipers (the 400EX has only single piston calipers) I'd probably recomend steel braided brake lines.

As for racing on the stock suspension, that really depends on the level of racing you are doing. However, I CAN tell you without a doubt, the stock 250r suspension will be much better for racing than the stock 300EX suspension. I'd even go so far as to say the stock 250r suspension is nearly as good as an aftermarket upgraded 300EX suspension.

Yes, it will go through more gas than the 300EX. More power uses more fuel, simple fact of life.