PDA

View Full Version : Electric Start

jgray
12-02-2003, 09:00 AM
I have a 300ex. I am in the early process of upgrading my electronics. I plan on relocating all my switches to a personal designed dashboard look. with new lights. i ma getting new nuetral & reverse lights. new toggle switches for the lights on/off & hi/lo. I was going to keep a starter button on the bars close to its original position. then I thought about why not have the starting method like a car. Turn the key to start it. has anyone ever tried this?? Pros/Cons ?? Let me know what you think.. If this application wouldn't work. What do i do with my starter button. Would really like a clean handle bar look. What do you think ??

I have a couple preliminary designs, let me know if your interested in seeing them. I'll try to get them posted some how..

Thanks
Jason
:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

44oEX
12-02-2003, 11:49 AM
I don'T have any pros but I do have a con.

If your bike is hard to start it's nice that you can push the starter pull in the clutch and give it a little gas. If you do what you said you would have to start it in neutral all the time or have a motor that starts really easy.

I like the push buton on the quads. some cars are even using it now. Honda S2000 and a couple more I can't remember.

jgray
12-02-2003, 12:09 PM
I agree with your con, But engines normally start easy after they are warmed up. I only see this a problem during initial startup, which you are usually in neutral anyway.
Though to your point, if your water logged or a little flooded, this could be a problem. Have to really think about this one.

Thanks for your opinion..
Jason

hmmm. i was thinking before I posted this.. What if i stalled going up a hill.. Cold create a little issue.. I think I will try to locate a aftermarket start button.. What to the racer's use as a start button ?? Don't they have a single start button on there handlebar ??

wgbanks
12-02-2003, 12:13 PM
I have stalled in some of the most unusual places and that started button under my left thumb has saved my butt. IMO:)

seatec
12-02-2003, 12:51 PM
hell yeah, just the other day a friend of mine and i where goign up this windy steep wooded hill and he kind of slowed down and it made me stall(my bad). I started sliding backwards at an alarming rate knowing that below me where some big ***** rocks waiting to tear me up so i pulled the clutch and started that baby right up while holding the front and rear brake. I slowly started to feed in clutch and finally countered the decent and made it up the hill. Thank god for the E-start button under my thumb.

4wheelboy
12-02-2003, 01:44 PM
most racers use a yz killbutton as a push start
;)

toby400ex
12-02-2003, 02:36 PM
A con would be that it will require you to take a hand off the bars to turn it. Thats bad if u stall on a hill, cuz u will need the front brakes and the clutch pulled in.

jgray
12-03-2003, 05:25 AM
Advice will be taken. Start button on the bars!!

4wheelboy,
yz killbutton? This works as a start button ??

I'll look into this !!

Thanks to everyone..
Jason