PDA

View Full Version : clutch ?

slamedsilverado
12-01-2003, 11:33 PM
i'm not a major rider......i actualy started over the summer and on a 87 250x......now i have moved on to a 400ex but what i find is that my 250x clutch lever was WAY easyer to pull in than my 400 what can i do to the 400 to get a easyer clutch to pull.....or what kind should i get
Dan

12-02-2003, 06:37 AM
Originally posted by slamedsilverado
i'm not a major rider......i actualy started over the summer and on a 87 250x......now i have moved on to a 400ex but what i find is that my 250x clutch lever was WAY easyer to pull in than my 400 what can i do to the 400 to get a easyer clutch to pull.....or what kind should i get
Dan

Order a new clutch cable, stock or motion pro. It'll fix the problem. I replace my clutch cable once a year no matter what.

12-02-2003, 11:21 AM
i ordered a new clutch cable for mine & the cable seemed to be too long evcen after i adjusted both the things all the way out....I now have to use spacers (from my cable to the perch) for my clutch to engage...are my plates worn out? is a lifter pin broke?

44oEX
12-02-2003, 12:05 PM
It's not your pin cause then the clutch would'nt work at all and it would pull super easy.and I don't think it'S the plates . It's probably that the cable is a little to long or that your bracket that hold the cable is bent. But the spacers sould be fine for now.

abcracing
12-02-2003, 01:31 PM
all 400ex cluthes are tougher to pull than 300's.a rtc clutch lever will make it a little easer for you.there is another way which our shops does to make it ALOT easier to pull but it's kinda hard to explain but i'll try.down on your clutch case is the bar where ur cable conects to.what you want to do is cut that bar and weld an extension in it to make it longer.this makes a huge diffrence.it's real easy to do as long as you have a cutter and a welder.just some ideas on how to make it easer for you. later BILL

12-02-2003, 01:43 PM
Originally posted by abcracing
all 400ex cluthes are tougher to pull than 300's.a rtc clutch lever will make it a little easer for you.there is another way which our shops does to make it ALOT easier to pull but it's kinda hard to explain but i'll try.down on your clutch case is the bar where ur cable conects to.what you want to do is cut that bar and weld an extension in it to make it longer.this makes a huge diffrence.it's real easy to do as long as you have a cutter and a welder.just some ideas on how to make it easer for you. later BILL

Get some pics...:cool:

I"m thinking your talking about making the pivot arm that the cable attaches too longer?? Sounds like a good idea but are you getting the full pull of the clutch to disengage the plates all the way??

abcracing
12-02-2003, 01:47 PM
hey rico we have not have a problem with doing this mod yet.you just have to watch how long you make ur pivot arm.i'll try and get some pics within the next day or 2 so you guys can see this mod. later BILL

slamedsilverado
12-02-2003, 06:59 PM
i went and bought a PEP EZ Pull and adjusted the cable and everything is better

44oEX
12-03-2003, 07:39 AM
if you extend the arm it's going t be hard on the clutch cause it won't pull it all the way. IF you race then it's not that bad cause you don't stand still to long but if you a trail rider an stay still with the clutch pulled in it will wereout the clutch.

Just get a mrs lever and it will solve the problem.