PDA

View Full Version : help me- noise

kenny
12-01-2003, 07:49 PM
i rebuilt my top end 440 last week.je piston 11:1.sleeved.broke it in nice and easy no problems.went to the dunes for thanksgiving.engine rattles on a load.over half throttle.seems to have gotten worse over the weekend.by sunday i quit riding afraid something was going to pop.are there any known timing chain problems with these bikes poss slapping under a load.is there a way to determine connecting rod knock- or rattle noise.running a 160 main jet.did not ck needle clip pos yet.any suggestions may help. i am scared to disassemble afraid i might not be able to identify the cause.kinda afraid what i might find also.only rattles on a load.bike can be in neutral if you rap the throttle 0 to full and let off the rattle can be heard it is loud.can be heard over the engine exhaust etc.does anybody know wher a poss crank kit can be purchased if needed.hope not.any crank problems anyone.please respond if you have any ideas.thanks ask me some questions if you think it will help.cylinder decked .007 valves exh .005 intake .004 i assume cam timing changed a hair- from deck work.i could go on for another hour.help please

ReconRider25
12-01-2003, 07:54 PM
check the timing chain and the valves. prob in there

cals400ex
12-01-2003, 08:35 PM
you can first remove the cam and make sure the head studs stayed torqued down (i think it is 33 or 34 ft/lbs, but i don't remember correctly). also, make sure the timing chain tensioner seems to be working properly. i assume you installed the cam with the lobes down and aligned the lines on the cam sprocket flush with the cylinder head and the other line on the cam sprocket was facing up. put it on tdc with the flywheel on the compression stroke. adjust valves when the bike is cold, not after it has been driven.

kenny
12-01-2003, 10:12 PM
i did install the cam lobes down with slashes level with head flywheel on t mark.torqued head bolts to 38 ft pds.book called for 33.do to higher compression i was advised to torque extra 5 also i put some antiseize on studs from clyinder to get an even pull.tonight valves were adjusted at 90 degree engine temp.this was my reck adj at the dunes.one exhaust valve was .006 upon ck.tonight after posted i went into the g rage and fired it up after a minute i rapped the throttle a few times could not dup the rattle.let it idle a few minutes till the cylinder fins were too hot to touch rapped the throttle again and the noise was there and continued to rattle every time i rapped it .it seems as it has some to do with oil temp.maybe tomorrow i will try some 20-50 and see if it gets not as prominate.thanks for replys anybody else got something to say about this.just nothing harsh please.im a little sensitive right now :devil:

2004TRX450R
12-02-2003, 12:47 AM
You put a high compression piston in it and decked the head? Try getting a gallon or so fo 110 octane race fuel and run in it. It almost sounds like detonation. Also when you installed the cam did you check for valve to piston clearance? Noises are really hard to diog. when you can't hear what they sound like.

dariusld
12-02-2003, 11:57 AM
I had this problem when I changed my piston and cam also. I broke it in around the house before I took on my first desert trip. Rode it all day, then it started making a loud noise(darn). It was coming from the timing chain. MY friend said that I should stop riding it. We decided to take it apart in the middle of the desert. Took the cam cover off and wa-la. The two bolts for the cam gear had backed out. When I had initially put the engine together I had used a new cam gear holder flange(whatever its called) and red lock-tite on those lousy screws. Those screws are $6 each. I don't know how it happened????? But I'm glad my friend told me to stop riding it. Just something you could check.

wgbanks
12-02-2003, 12:21 PM
Try the higher octane gas 1st. If you went to 11:1 you are almost assured to get detonation. Especially when motor is under a load. I did the JE 416 @ 11:1 and had detonation. 2:1 ratio with VP C12 race gas curred the noise. I had a similar instance right after break in... thought it was piston slap. Turned out to be detonation. IMHO :)