PDA

View Full Version : pic of HMF on 400ex??

Glamis400ex
12-01-2003, 06:30 PM
Anyone got a pic of a full system HMF on a 400ex? I think this will be my new pipe for a couple different reasons.

alinerica@cox.net

Glamis

Ryan
12-01-2003, 07:37 PM
Heres a pic of Popo's Z400. I think thats the full HMF system.

Edit, nevermind, I didn't see you put 400ex.

ReconRider25
12-01-2003, 07:50 PM
they have a pic of a yellow 400ex on hmfengineering.com on the right side column

pnut420
12-01-2003, 07:51 PM
I can take some pics tomarrow, what exactly do you want pics of the most? As far as mounting they come closer to the oil cooler and it seems that with a stock length clutch cable it wont be long enough, I just got a longer one. Where it mounts at the rear is what I really like the pipe is nice and tucked up away from the brake and everything, my Sparks hit the rear brake cyclinder a few times and dented the silencer. Mounting the X-6 is alot easier but the quality of this pipe is great.

Breyon55
12-01-2003, 08:01 PM
pnut....Youre from danville.....danville in Northern Cali?????

4wheelboy
12-01-2003, 08:04 PM
the welds are realy clean;)

Glamis400ex
12-01-2003, 08:07 PM
Thanks Pnut,

Actually, I just wanna see how it looks. I like the polished one. Run that clutch cable thing by me once again???:confused: I didn't know a pipe would affect the cable length.

The reason for the interest in a new pipe is this:

1) the DMC is REALLY loud and gets on my nerves. Other pipes are more throaty, DMC is raspy. I don't like the spark arrester disc set up. I think it hurts performace. The screen SA better.

2) I want to ride Oregon dunes but noise is a factor. DMC has no quiet core, HMF does.

3)I'm tired of the 2 huge head pipes sticking way out and burning up my boots..:grr:

4) The pipe canister is rather large and sticks straight out. (parallel with ground) I like the pipes that tuck up and away a little better. Wheelies are a no-go, to easy to scrape the can.

Are there any other GOOD performance pipes that have a quiet core??

Glamis

cals400ex
12-01-2003, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by Glamis400ex
Thanks Pnut,

Actually, I just wanna see how it looks. I like the polished one. Run that clutch cable thing by me once again???:confused: I didn't know a pipe would affect the cable length.

1) the DMC is REALLY loud and gets on my nerves. Other pipes are more throaty, DMC is raspy. I don't like the spark arrester disc set up. I think it hurts performace. The screen SA better.

2) I want to ride Oregon dunes but noise is a factor. DMC has no quiet core, HMF does.

3)I'm tired of the 2 huge head pipes sticking way out and burning up my boots..:grr:

4) The pipe canister is rather large and sticks straight out. (parallel with ground) I like the pipes that tuck up and away a little better. Wheelies are a no-go, to easy to scrape the can.

Glamis

i think what he is getting at is the headers may get into the way of the clutch cable up by the oil tank. i know with my sparks pipe i had to bend the bracket for the clutch cable up by the oil tank so the headers would not come into contact with the cable. this is what sparks recommends, i am not sure what hmf recommends. i know with the sparks pipe you can get a spark arrestor. how much does it quiet the noise?? i don't know since i didn't get the spark arrestor. many people on here love their hetrick pipes, but once again i don't know if you can get a quiet core.

pnut420
12-01-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Breyon55
pnut....Youre from danville.....danville in Northern Cali?????

Yeah its shocking isnt it. Im always looking for more riders to ride with, PM me and we will have to meet up some time, you guys have a good engine builder out of Fremont dont you?

pnut420
12-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Thanks Pnut,

Glamis

Well Cals400ex summed up the clutch cable thing, withthe Sparks I bent the bracket and it was more than ok, but with the HMF the headers come way out and I rerouted the cable every way I could and still it was to short and would melt on the headers. I stock X-6 comes out more flat like your DMC, but the HMF comes from just above the clutch cover and run at a angle to where it mounts making it more of a 45 degree angle to tuck into the fenders. The HMF is a little quieter than a stock Sparks without the quiet core. I love the power and sound of the sparks and it is really light as well, but you just cant beat the quality of the HMF, it is built like a tank.

Diedrich
12-01-2003, 09:23 PM
i always liked the sound of my dmc on my 300ex

4wheelboy
12-02-2003, 04:25 PM
i heard the hmf with a quiet core is just a little louder then stock;)

PHIL_B54
12-02-2003, 04:59 PM
i have a quiet core in my warrior, and the other for my 400ex should be here any day. id say that it is louder than stock, but a deep rumble louder, not like taking the end cap of the stock pipe louder. i would recomend one to anyone, there isnt really noticeable power difference in or out, and it doesnt piss people off as bad.

if my ex was here id post a pic for you

Glamis400ex
12-02-2003, 07:14 PM
Where's the pics Pnut....I need pics...;)

Glamis

pnut420
12-02-2003, 07:50 PM
Where's the pics Pnut....I need pics...;)

Glamis

:rolleyes: Nah its cool

J/P. Ill try to find a couple

pnut420
12-02-2003, 09:46 PM
This pipe has some surface rust on it, but the pipe is not rusted, just need to clean them. I have alot more pics, but not uploaded to imagestation, Ill post more when my 56k catches up.
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/p772d25882f3500639fad6ccb4a4a2c8f/fa660289.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/p0feadad6b360b08118a2e71439e7dca6/fa6614a0.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/p67c2dbb0c435f12ef04c18ac645dab99/fa6611a4.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/ped919270c85dfac3beacf0d912316e7b/fa6605f0.jpg
http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid91/pe62d144dacdd7ffa5a1d43a686549476/fa660c3b.jpg

Glamis400ex
12-02-2003, 10:00 PM
Thanks Pnut,

Just curious....whats with the pipe springs? I thought only 2 strokes had those. Do you have a problem with the pipes burning your boots/pant leg?

Glamis

pnut420
12-02-2003, 10:11 PM
Thanks Pnut,

Just curious....whats with the pipe springs? I thought only 2 strokes had those. Do you have a problem with the pipes burning your boots/pant leg?

Glamis

When I first saw the springs I was like WTF? The main reason it seems it so it will fit in there, it is actually pretty cool though and seals nice. The headers on theis pipe are huge, but the pipe is pretty far away from your boots and leg, I actually got burnt more with a stock pipe and way more with the Sparks. You can see where about at the clutch cover it bends more towards the frame, performance wise I'd say Sparks, if you want it a little more quiet and a great quality pipe go with HMF or Hetrick, or LRD is another good perfomance pipe.