PDA

View Full Version : Newbie W/ 250EX Mod Questions

N20Jnky
12-01-2003, 05:13 PM
Hey Guys:

Just getting into the quad scene with a 250EX... Both my wife and I ride it... I'm wanting to get a little more punch on the bottom end... We don't race it and the top end is plenty fast for what we do with it... Mainly I would like it to have more pull when it is hauling my fat *** up a hill...

What mod recommendations would you have... Please be specific so I can research specific parts... Also, don't suggest that I bore or stroke the motor... Doing that to my Mustang, not my quad...

Appreciate any help you can give me...

Thanks...

ghak99
12-01-2003, 05:19 PM
A pipe, KnN, and a jet kit will wake it up some.

N20Jnky
12-01-2003, 05:22 PM
Ghak:

Any specific recommendations on the pipe??? How about jet kit??? K&N is a definate must...

Tnx...

ghak99
12-01-2003, 05:23 PM
White brothers

vroom
12-01-2003, 05:31 PM
maybe get some 18 inch tires, that'll give ya a little more punch, if it's suitable for your riding areas, K&N power kit (inccludes the jets and filter and cleaner) and a WB's pipe

ghak99
12-01-2003, 05:33 PM
I agree the 18 inch tires will give it more get up and go, but may cost you some top end.

N20Jnky
12-01-2003, 05:37 PM
Hey Guys:

The 18" tires are a good idea, but I really need the ground clearance... We mainly ride backcountry trails that are really rocky, muddy, wet, and with a lot of logs...

I was out at the White Bros website but really couldn't tell sh*t about their different pipes... Anyone have a specific suggestion for the low end??? What about FMF??? They any good... Seems that the Gnarly would be the recommendation from them...

Thanks...

sweet300ex
12-01-2003, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by N20Jnky
Hey Guys:
Seems that the Gnarly would be the recommendation from them...

Thanks... 0
umm..the Gnarly is a 2 stroke pipe:o, and i wouldnt reccoment FMF, id say the White Bros E series

N20Jnky
12-01-2003, 05:56 PM
Sweet:

Thank god I said I was a newbie, eh!!! :D

Bad Habit
12-01-2003, 09:32 PM
I put a Yoshi slip-on on the wife's 250EX. Also a k&n and rejetted. It really woke that little motor up more than I thought it would.
I wouldn't recommend 18" rears on this bike. It would gear it down too much from the 22's and your left foot would get wore out from all the shifting.:D She runs 20" paddles in the sand and it is just about perfect. The smaller tires gives it more grunt on the low end and with the pipe/intake mods, it will actually out run a stock 250 with 22" tires on the top end.

cals400ex
12-01-2003, 09:51 PM
i would also look in to hmf's pipes. i think the site is www.hmfengineering.com they make a slip on for the 250 if i remember correctly. they are great quality pipes too, probally one of the best. yeah, the gnarly is a two stroke expansion chamber. not a big deal, your learning. i know you said you didn't want to bore, but a higher compression will help out the torque. it will probally be cheaper than a pipe for the piston and boring. the stock honda filters are pretty good. i didn't see any gain out of a K&N filter. if you want more air, you can drill holes in the lid or remove it completely. jetting will be required. you can either buy a jet kit or buy individual keihin jets. buying individual jets will probally be cheaper. good luck

Sportrax10
12-01-2003, 09:55 PM
Heres another pipe choice... http://www.procircuit.com/
Also, dont rule out a UNI air filter over the K&N if you ride in dust at all.

hawiianpwr
12-01-2003, 10:15 PM
Hey I'd just give our sponsors C&D Racing a call they will answer any question you need and can get anything thing you want for your quad.

Meek
12-02-2003, 01:34 AM
If you don't mind a lot noise, go with a White Brothers pipe and a K&N air filter. I have a set of 20 inch tires on my wife's 250ex, and I can pull the front end up in 3rd easy.

4wheelboy
12-02-2003, 04:55 AM
Originally posted by Sportrax10
Heres another pipe choice... http://www.procircuit.com/
Also, dont rule out a UNI air filter over the K&N if you ride in dust at all.

yea i dont realy like k&n the uni is alot easier to clean and i culdint tell a difrence between the two filters:confused:

but for the pipe i say get a hmf great quality

ZSK
12-02-2003, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by vroom
maybe get some 18 inch tires, that'll give ya a little more punch, if it's suitable for your riding areas, K&N power kit (inccludes the jets and filter and cleaner) and a WB's pipe

I think 18 inch tires would be WAY too small on a 250ex. That would add a lot of bottom end punch to your bike but the front end would be awfully light putting the weight straight on the back tires. Which is bad since you were talking about climbing hills. The stockers are 22's just like a 300ex. If anything 20 inch tires would be a better fit and they will drop your top speed about 5 mph.