PDA

View Full Version : ? about adding zerk fitting on pivot bolt

pnut420
12-01-2003, 04:14 PM
I am going to tap the inside of my pivot bolt and put a zerk fitting in there, my question is if you pump the zerk fitting or pivot bolt full of grease it wont be able to reach the bearings and sleeves, etc... So do you just drill a few small holes in the pivot bolt to let the grease go through to the bearings and carrier and everything. Thanks for any advice...

Doibugu2
12-01-2003, 04:19 PM
There was a thread on this not to long ago.

Yea, just drill some holes to allow the grease to flow onto the bearings.

Oh yea, Jeff from the Quadshop does this, so you might pm him.

Glamis400ex
12-01-2003, 05:39 PM
I see those on Ebay . They already have the zerk in the bolt.

Glamis

12-01-2003, 05:52 PM
Zerk on one end, plugged at the other or a zerk on that end too. 2 small pin holes drilled in it at the areas were the sleeves ride on the bolt. 2 holes drilled total..:cool:

pnut420
12-01-2003, 07:38 PM
Its been awhile since I took my quad apart, so I forgot something. I ordered the pivot works bearing kit(I know OEM is better) and the bearings are like an inch long, so basically after you put the dust seals on and caps and everything, their would be like an inch left where the bearingscould slide side to side, is their soemthing that is supposed to hold the bearings in place or do they move around a little?

JOEX
12-01-2003, 08:04 PM
Originally posted by Rico
Zerk on one end, plugged at the other or a zerk on that end too. 2 small pin holes drilled in it at the areas were the sleeves ride on the bolt. 2 holes drilled total..:cool:
Wouldn't there be at least three holes? Or is it aleady hollow?

Joe

pnut420
12-01-2003, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
Wouldn't there be at least three holes? Or is it aleady hollow?

Joe

Their are two holes at each end of the bolt already. We are drilling through the bolt, so when we pump in grease at the zerks, instead of just sitting in the bolt and doing nothing, it goes through the holes you drill in the side of the bolt and greases the bearings...

K_Fulk
12-01-2003, 08:33 PM
Their would be like an inch left where the bearingscould slide side to side, is their soemthing that is supposed to hold the bearings in place or do they move around a little?

You can put more than one bearing in each side of the swingarm like Houser does. Houser uses smaller bearings and have 3 in one side and 2 on the other. Just something else for you to think about.

pnut420
12-01-2003, 08:43 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Their would be like an inch left where the bearingscould slide side to side, is their soemthing that is supposed to hold the bearings in place or do they move around a little?

You can put more than one bearing in each side of the swingarm like Houser does. Houser uses smaller bearings and have 3 in one side and 2 on the other. Just something else for you to think about.

I might go ahead and get some different bearings when I pull it apart to grease and inspect everything. I couldnt put 2 bearings in either side because the pivot works are to wide to put 2 but 1 seems to narrow. Thanks for the info...

K_Fulk
12-01-2003, 08:45 PM
Maybe just get some houser bearings to put in with the ones your getting. Since there shorter, thats what i did with my laeger swingarm.

JOEX
12-01-2003, 08:58 PM
Originally posted by pnut420
Their are two holes at each end of the bolt already. We are drilling through the bolt, so when we pump in grease at the zerks, instead of just sitting in the bolt and doing nothing, it goes through the holes you drill in the side of the bolt and greases the bearings...
I understand the principle behind this...
Never noticed the holes in the bolt before. They look fairly large though, larger than the average zerk fitting maybe:confused: Are there different size zerk fittings? What size is needed?

What size hole should be drilled in the shaft of the bolt? IS one for each bearing sufficient?

Joe

pnut420
12-01-2003, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by K_Fulk
Maybe just get some houser bearings to put in with the ones your getting. Since there shorter, thats what i did with my laeger swingarm.

Yeah if I do that I might just go ahead and get 4 Houser, no sense in running the Pivot Works they really dont look to beefy. I might just get the damn thing together for now, then order the Houser bearings later. How much do the houser bearings cost?

pnut420
12-01-2003, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by JOEX
I understand the principle behind this...
Never noticed the holes in the bolt before. They look fairly large though, larger than the average zerk fitting maybe:confused: Are there different size zerk fittings? What size is needed?

What size hole should be drilled in the shaft of the bolt? IS one for each bearing sufficient?

Joe

Yeah I still need to know that also, I was just going to go see what I can find.

K_Fulk
12-01-2003, 09:29 PM
I think there 4 or 5 dollars each.

12-02-2003, 06:42 AM
THe pivot bolt is hollow no need in drilling it..:cool:

pnut420
12-02-2003, 09:09 AM
Originally posted by Rico
THe pivot bolt is hollow no need in drilling it..:cool:

What size zerks did you use Rico, did you tap them in or weld them, I might just have my buddy weld them on, might be easier

k2-dawg
12-02-2003, 02:20 PM
I tapped one end and JB welded the other. I used two different sizes, one large and one small.

Aceman
12-02-2003, 08:17 PM
The larger zerks are 1/8 inch pipe thread. I don't remember what size drill bit it takes to prep the hole for the tap though. I have it wrote down somewhere.